Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Cutting pipe angles in the field

I am having a bit of trouble with cutting angles when building gates and trusses. I have specific wraps for 45 and 90 degree cuts. I also have a flexible wrap for other cuts that I guess I donít understand how to use (only using for straight cuts now). It has been somewhat frustrating determining the cutting angles by trying to lay the piece to be cut against the piece to weld too. Without making this too long, I need to figure out how to mark letís say a 67 degree cut and have a good fit up for welding. Iím hoping some of you pipe fence and truss building guys will chime in and give me a hand. Thanks in advance for your help.
    TB 302
    Sync 250 DX
    MM 180 Auto
    Lincoln tombstone
    DVI-2
    Why do we drive on a parkway and park on a driveway

Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

SWEET!!! I should have asked this long ago. Thanks Broc. I am always looking for cool tools, i will be ordering several of these today.
    TB 302
    Sync 250 DX
    MM 180 Auto
    Lincoln tombstone
    DVI-2

This website will let you input pipe sizes, angles, etc., and spit out a PDF that you can print on paper, cut out with scissors and wrap around your pipes to make the cuts:

http://metalgeek.com/static/cope.pcgi

Before there were computer generated cutouts and layout tools....... we old hack artists did it all by eyeball.....We used our superior eyeball layout skills to get a good fit so we didn't have to use our superior welding skills to make up for a poor fit job....I think the layout tools and the computer generated patterns are great, but there are other ways....

Some of us poor souls dont have anything superior except for our Miller equipment
    TB 302
    Sync 250 DX
    MM 180 Auto
    Lincoln tombstone
    DVI-2

set your chop saw back fence to 30 degrees..... mark the center of the pipe, and cut just off center, spin it over and repeat.... that will give you a 90 degree saddle.... you just gotta get the clamp super tight so that the pipe doesnt try to spin out or walk therefore throwing the cut off..... now, in order to give that a "pitch" or an angle, just move off from the center a little for your first cut, then move in to the center for the second cut... this gives you the offset cope for a pitched saddle....

i think for 1 1/4 pipe the distance from center to both cuts should be 5/8... basically sayin that you leave 5/8 of the pipe flat to make the center of the saddle....

i ised to work with an old timer that could look at the pitch, fire up the torch and cut the saddles to match just from eyeballing it..... i prefer using a grinder, but the torch is faster, and the chop saw is even faster than that....

i will try to post pics of what im talking about when i get home from the gas wells on tuesday.... in which i am cutting pipe to pitch with saddles..... imagine that....

lol!!! old man working in my zone is reading over my shoulder and he said that "you dont need a cannon to kill the mosquito (yeah, i got that sayin from him) just cut the flaming thing and weld it up..... technology while more precise is too flamin slow and you aint gonna make it in the real world, son"

of course i had to edit his words on the fly...lol....

ya'll be good for now
    welder_one

nothing fancy, just a few hot glue guns for metal
    www.sicfabrications.com

Quote Originally Posted by welder_one View Post
    set your chop saw back fence to 30 degrees..... mark the center of the pipe, and cut just off center, spin it over and repeat.... that will give you a 90 degree saddle.... you just gotta get the clamp super tight so that the pipe doesnt try to spin out or walk therefore throwing the cut off..... now, in order to give that a "pitch" or an angle, just move off from the center a little for your first cut, then move in to the center for the second cut... this gives you the offset cope for a pitched saddle....

i think for 1 1/4 pipe the distance from center to both cuts should be 5/8... basically sayin that you leave 5/8 of the pipe flat to make the center of the saddle....

i ised to work with an old timer that could look at the pitch, fire up the torch and cut the saddles to match just from eyeballing it..... i prefer using a grinder, but the torch is faster, and the chop saw is even faster than that....

i will try to post pics of what im talking about when i get home from the gas wells on tuesday.... in which i am cutting pipe to pitch with saddles..... imagine that....

lol!!! old man working in my zone is reading over my shoulder and he said that "you dont need a cannon to kill the mosquito (yeah, i got that sayin from him) just cut the flaming thing and weld it up..... technology while more precise is too flamin slow and you aint gonna make it in the real world, son"

of course i had to edit his words on the fly...lol....

ya'll be good for now
    Prime example of my sig......
    ''True genius,in many fields of human endeaver,is often revealed in elegant simplicity"

Thumbs up Nice

Quote Originally Posted by Helios View Post
    This website will let you input pipe sizes, angles, etc., and spit out a PDF that you can print on paper, cut out with scissors and wrap around your pipes to make the cuts:

http://metalgeek.com/static/cope.pcgi
    This little program works great! Thanks!

I have wraps for your basic 90 and 45 degree cuts, couldnt live without them. I was more concerned with unusual angles like you might find in a truss or end fence section. Thanks to everyone for advice. I'm getting PipeMasters, Hope they hold up
    TB 302
    Sync 250 DX
    MM 180 Auto
    Lincoln tombstone
    DVI-2