Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Welding of wind turbine Tower

Do anybody know how to weld the sections of wind turbine tower? kindly tell me if anyone know?

Based on the question at hand. I would say this.
    Call 1.800.real.welder to find a qualified professional.
    Live Right Have Fun

XMT350 CV/CC
    22A Feeder
    MM175
    Dynasty 200DX
    TB302
    12vs Extreme
    Hypertherm PowerMax 1000
    20" x 40" CNC Mills (2)
    16" x 60" engine lathe
    65 Ton edwards iron worker
    3/16' x 24" power slip roll
    16' power feed mitering bandsaw
    and other fun toys

Quote Originally Posted by hussainshayan View Post
    Do anybody know how to weld the sections of wind turbine tower? kindly tell me if anyone know?
    They make them here where I live. Do you know how HUGE they are?? I'm pretty sure they are welded by robots since the metal is up to 3 inches thick on some sections.
    Jim

Default wind tower sections at joints can be much thicker than 3"

The tower sections that get bolted together on the tube sections are very thick, depending on size of the tower and weight of nacelle the bolted sections can become very thick, much more than 3".

Some found information:
    The tower of a typical American-made turbine is approximately 80 feet tall and weighs about 19,000 pounds.
    A typical nacelle for a current turbine weighs approximately 22,000 pounds.
    Trailblazer 325 EFI
    Dynasty 200DX
    SVI 300i cvcc
    Mig 4HD & Mig 2E wire feeders
    Ultra-Pulse 300i Pendant
    EAS-IV Electronic Arc Starter and Plumbing Box
    Powermax1000 G3 Series
    AC-225 Arc Welder

Quote Originally Posted by TerryL View Post
    The tower sections that get bolted together on the tube sections are very thick, depending on size of the tower and weight of nacelle the bolted sections can become very thick, much more than 3".

Some found information:
    The tower of a typical American-made turbine is approximately 80 feet tall and weighs about 19,000 pounds.
    A typical nacelle for a current turbine weighs approximately 22,000 pounds.
    Terry;
    I see them going by my house @ about 4 - 6 tower sections a day !
    Each section is approx. 50ft. long, & the blades are about the same length !
    So I guess these must be 150ft. + when complete .

They are going down near Port Rowan, Ont. , .
    They have dozens fully erected now, with many, many more to come !

........... Norm

Sunrise Outside My Shop In Delhi, Ontario

- Arcair- K 4000 CAC.

- LN-25 Wire Feeder

- Lincoln Ranger 8- Engine Drive- CC\CV:

- Lincoln Power Mig 180C
    - Spoolgun.
    - DeWalt Chop Saw .
    - DeWalt Compressor - 13cfm, @ 100 psi.

www.normsmobilewelding.blogspot.com

Better than 50 % chance is the first post of a spammer. It's their new style to try to get their posts left on the forum links to what they are pushing to follow!
    glen, If your not on the edge, your wasting space

Quote Originally Posted by TerryL View Post
    Right. I'm talking about the cylinder itself. I know the flanges where the bolts join the sections are even thicker. I've seen 5" thick and some are probably thicker. I wonder what our new member Hussain is really fishing for. Maybe he wants to know what it takes to bring one down. Hussain, what about it??????????? Tell us about yourself.
    Last edited by Jim-TX; 09-28-2010 at 10:14 PM.
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by hussainshayan View Post
    I like to tig weld all of mine with a Harbor freight 130 amp welder and coat hangers for tig wire.
    2, XMT's 350 cc/cv
    1, XMT 350 vs
    1, TRAILBLAZER 302
    1, MILLER DVI
    1, PASSPORT PLUS
    1, DYNASTY 200 DX
    1, MAXSTAR 150 STL
    1, HOBART CHAMP
    1, HF-251 BOX
    1, S-74d
    1, S-75DXA
    2, 12-RC SUITCASES
    2, 30 A spoolguns

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by fabricator View Post
    I like to tig weld all of mine with a Harbor freight 130 amp welder and coat hangers for tig wire.
    Nope, JB Weld is way better and cost effective.

Quote Originally Posted by cruizer View Post
    Nope, JB Weld is way better and cost effective.
    Why make it complicated with a two part adhesive. Liquid nails right out of the tube ought to do nicely.
    Bill

Miller Bobcat 225