Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Bunk Bed Ideas

Hybrid View

Default Bunk Bed Ideas

My wife is looking for some low L shaped bunk beds for our daughters room. I was looking on line for different designs and was originally thinking a wood working project. Now I am thinking a combination wood/metal project. I'm trolling for some ideas (I'm not the most creative). What material would you use? My girls are 4 and 6 and are of course into girly stuff (barbies, etc). If I come up with something cool, I also have 2 boys in a room who could use bunk beds as well. I was thinking about some sort of metal frame that would be smaller than a typical wood structure as they have small rooms. I am a hobby welder with a nice mig and access to tig. Any thoughts or ideas out there?

That could be fun.

The first thing I would do is get the measurements of the mattresses you're planning on using. That would give you what you have to have to make it work for more than just one set of kiddos.

The next thing I would do is to set down with your wife and lay out some parameters that she wants and or needs.

I know. Most guys don't want to have that conversation but take it from me. Believe it or not women are on the average smarter than guys when it comes to designing things that are practical. I can't explain it except for our hammer reflex I guess.

The other thing is if she buys into it then chances are you won't be asked to build another one, right this time, anytime soon.

I like the idea of using sixteen gauge galvanized fence tube for the frame work if you can find a muffler shop close by that has dies for 1 5/8". It's substantial enough in size and appearance, easily welded if you're careful, ventilate, ventilate. And it can take a powder coat that will outlast mild steel by years.

Powder coating cost is down to where it's foolish to paint anymore.

Not sure how small the room is but we have a small room also and I just made a Loft to hold 2 beds end to end. You can see the Old single bed underneath but that is now at a friends house.

Anyhoo- I just kept it simple- they're going to draw on it and cover it in stickers so why waste my time and fancy usually gets $$ quickly.

Anyhoo- drew up a basic idea at Lunch then built it after work. 4x4 Corner posts, 2x12 for the span- because I had them off a Photo shoot = Free. The rest is just 2x3 and 1x2

Crappy Cell Phone pics.
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

Nice bunk and pictures. I can't fit both beds back to back so I think I am going to do an L. One bed up and one bed down. I saw some cool ideas on the projects gallery. Any thoughts on a combination of wood and metal? I hate to say I don't have much creativity. If I was using mostly square tube, what dimensions would you use? Any sites I can use to figure out what materials sizes will hold a given load?

The only thing I can think of for the Girlie girls is to some how incorporate the 4- Post style with the hanging frilly stuff

http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&b...=&oq=&gs_rfai=

You can get Decorative pieces from King
    http://www.kingmetals.com/

For the legs I would use 2"x2" 16g iffin metal and then some 1/8" angle for the bed support.

Wood- you could use 2x4's but you'll need to sand the crap out of them or run them through a planer and then just do the decorative metal work for the end pieces and canopy- if you go that route.

Creativity on comes from a whole lotta trial and error.
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

Good morning, Chibrew.
    One of the most interesting projects I ever built was a trundle bed for my son when he was about 3 years old (he turns 29 tomorrow, by the way).
    I built it out of walnut from a blown down tree on my property. I had it sawn and planed.
    You will have a fun project that the kids will treasure for years.
    2 things I would tell you.
    1. buy the mattress, measure it (they vary a little), and allow enough room to easily make the bed (probably 2 inches). Mine was always a little tight by the time you have 2 sheets, blanket, and spread.
    2. really think about how it will go together and break down later. I used standard rail hooks and you need the pins to be pretty precise to lock properly. I would suggest just using some bolts for the rails instead.

Wood, metal, or wood and metal together - all could make a nice design. Go to the furniture stores with a camera and tape measure. You will find some great ideas to start your design.

Be sure to post some pictures of the project's progress.
    Burt
    Miller Thunderbolt XL
    http://www.10FtDrillBit.com

Default Here's one I built a few years ago.

Here's one I built a few years ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chibrew View Post
    My wife is looking for some low L shaped bunk beds for our daughters room. I was looking on line for different designs and was originally thinking a wood working project. Now I am thinking a combination wood/metal project. I'm trolling for some ideas (I'm not the most creative). What material would you use? My girls are 4 and 6 and are of course into girly stuff (barbies, etc). If I come up with something cool, I also have 2 boys in a room who could use bunk beds as well. I was thinking about some sort of metal frame that would be smaller than a typical wood structure as they have small rooms. I am a hobby welder with a nice mig and access to tig. Any thoughts or ideas out there?
    Attached Images Attached Images