Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Threaded View

Default Disfigured solid brass coffee table...

Hey guys,
    Here's a repair that came in this week. The lady was given this solid brass coffee table w/smoked glass from a friend. It got damaged in transit & her nephew thought he could fix it......duuuuhhhh. I saw this piece earlier in the summer when she took some furniture to my neighbors' furniture resto shop & asked if it could be fixed & "how much". My neighbor called me over to look at it & I gave her a rough quote......yup....the usual: "WHAT? HOW MUCH?".

Anyway, as it seems, this lady had friends to her home & one saw it & told her it was quite valuable & a shame it was in the condition it was. The lady found out it was worth over $500 & if fixed, probably more. She brought it in to my shop & I explained what had to be done & I only would do it the proper way or nothing. She said ok....fix it.

I had to re-melt the (2) welded joints w/O/A, looked to be stick welded, & separate. Then I straightened the entire lower assembly, prepped the joints with a small carbide grinder to have nice clean joints, & started doing each joint. I decided that silver-solder(60/40) would work well & the color would match nicely. When I finished, I carefully re-contoured all the joints to the original look & lightly sanded with 240 grit to smoothen & semi-polish. It came out quite nice & the lady was very happy. Here's some pics.

Denny
    Attached Images Attached Images
    * Complete welding, machine, & fab shop *
    * Mobile unit *
    * Finally retired *

* A man's word is his honor..... without honor, there is nothing. *
    * Words are like bullets..... once they leave your muzzle, you cannot get them back. *
    * I have no reservation to kill nor hesitation to die for the U.S. Constitution & the American Flag. *
    * Age is a state of mind..... at my age, you cannot fathom what is in my mind. *