Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Hybrid View

Default Disfigured solid brass coffee table...

Hey guys,
    Here's a repair that came in this week. The lady was given this solid brass coffee table w/smoked glass from a friend. It got damaged in transit & her nephew thought he could fix it......duuuuhhhh. I saw this piece earlier in the summer when she took some furniture to my neighbors' furniture resto shop & asked if it could be fixed & "how much". My neighbor called me over to look at it & I gave her a rough quote......yup....the usual: "WHAT? HOW MUCH?".

Anyway, as it seems, this lady had friends to her home & one saw it & told her it was quite valuable & a shame it was in the condition it was. The lady found out it was worth over $500 & if fixed, probably more. She brought it in to my shop & I explained what had to be done & I only would do it the proper way or nothing. She said ok....fix it.

I had to re-melt the (2) welded joints w/O/A, looked to be stick welded, & separate. Then I straightened the entire lower assembly, prepped the joints with a small carbide grinder to have nice clean joints, & started doing each joint. I decided that silver-solder(60/40) would work well & the color would match nicely. When I finished, I carefully re-contoured all the joints to the original look & lightly sanded with 240 grit to smoothen & semi-polish. It came out quite nice & the lady was very happy. Here's some pics.

Denny
    Attached Images Attached Images
    * Complete welding, machine, & fab shop *
    * Mobile unit *
    * Finally retired *

* A man's word is his honor..... without honor, there is nothing. *
    * Words are like bullets..... once they leave your muzzle, you cannot get them back. *
    * I have no reservation to kill nor hesitation to die for the U.S. Constitution & the American Flag. *
    * Age is a state of mind..... at my age, you cannot fathom what is in my mind. *

Great repair. Always hard to understand why the customer complains about the cost and as it is, it is usually worthless unless it is fixed. Keep up the good work

Dynasty 350 - My New Baby
    Millermatic 210 Mig with Spoolmate 3035
    Miller Thunderbolt XL 225/150 AC/DC Stick Welder
    Miller Specturm 625 Plasma Cutter
    Speedglas 9100 auto dark helmet
    Jackson auto dark helmet
    18.5 CFM Eagle Compressor
    Oxy/Act
    Horizontal Band Saw
    Dewalt 14" Chop Saw
    7 1/2 Dewalt Angle Grinder
    4 - 4 1/2" Sears Angle Grinders
    1 - 4" Makita Angle Grinder
    2 - IR Die Grinders
    All of which my wife says will be a "he$$ of a garage sale"

Very nice! Ain't everybody could do that...
    Professional firefighter (retired). Amateur everything else I try to do...
    Oh yeah: GO BIG RED!