Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: electromagnet

Hybrid View

Default electromagnet

has anyone ever welded on a electromagnet? I have one to weld back together for a friend. When I arc gouged it apart i welded some temporary lifting lugs on it to help pull it apart and some of these welds, although satisfactory in appearance, let go with minimal pressure. Any ideas or tips would be greatly appreciated. The magnet is a five foot in diameter.
    mikey j

the magnet is forged steel and not cast, the housing with the lugs for attachment is forged and the bottom plate is 1" mild
    Last edited by mgrudz; 12-22-2007 at 09:02 AM.
    mikey j

Lightbulb

i want to say use an AC rod but my memory is horrible so don't trust that. try a search they have discussed welding on magnetized stuff before, i think they said AC was the answer. its in here some where. seems like they said wrapping the lead around it helped also but that wont help here due to size.
    i'll see if i can dig up the old post. i think it was on ask andy (motor-sports side). i'll post it if i can find it.
    welcome to the site.
    Last edited by fun4now; 12-22-2007 at 06:03 PM.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

i found this.

Walker is right, better bust out the diamonds for that stem! Remember, any time that your work has been magnetized DC is worthless and it's time to go A/C.

i'll keep looking.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES