Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Cord/Lead storage

Does anybody ghave a great way to store a bunch of expension cords and welding lead. I already have garden hose hangers on the walls and storage hooks from the ceiling. But I am way short on space, this is just not cutting it. I need to be able to keep a lot of the cords seperate. if I want a 25 foot cord I don't want to have to take off 3 100 footers and a could 50 footers.

I think I have more feet of wire in my shop right now thne any normal person will ever own in there entire life.

-Dan
    Owner
    DW Metalworks LLC
    Miller Trailblazer 302
    Miller 8RC Feeder
    Miller Passport Plus
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX W/Coolmate 1
    Hobart Handler 135
    Hypertherm PowerMAX 30
    Smith O/A Torch Set
    Plus more tools then my wife will ever know about....

In my shop I took 4" PVC pipe and cut off 3" lengths of it (like rings) with a bandsaw and then cut out a portion of the side so that you ended up with a "C" shape with a fairly narrow opening.

Then I drilled two holes side-by-side on one side and drove screws through the holes into the wall.

What you end up with is like a garden hose hanger hook at a lot less cost. One 10' length of 4" PVC pipe will make ~ 40 of these things for about $8 in PVC pipe. That's 20˘ apiece.

I have about 60' or 70' of 1/0 welding cable hanging from a pair of them in my shop, and strength/bending doesn't seem to be an issue.

Get rid of all the 100' cords they are just a PIA to deal with.

if you need 100' grab 2- 50'

25'rs and 50'rs will fit in a Milk Crate- I can get 5 50' in a Crate, so with 2 milk crates I have 500'

I have about 40-- 50 footers and only 10- 25'

All the cords are Black but the 50' have White electrical tape on both ends while the 25' have Yellow so I know what length they are from a distance if they get piled up together.

All the Cords have Mason line on each end so when I wrap them up they get tied.
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

Couple pics.

Ed Conley
    MM252
    MM211
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

Ed that is a great idea and it will work with a fair amount of what I have. It should work with the 200ft of 2/0 I have in 50 footers too.

Now what do I do with the 2 125 foot 8/3 cords. I have 400 feet of 230volt cord for running far from the generator. I am thinking about making a 2 wheeler into a mobile cord reel for the long cords that I do not use much.

-Dan
    Owner
    DW Metalworks LLC
    Miller Trailblazer 302
    Miller 8RC Feeder
    Miller Passport Plus
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX W/Coolmate 1
    Hobart Handler 135
    Hypertherm PowerMAX 30
    Smith O/A Torch Set
    Plus more tools then my wife will ever know about....

Put your cords away like this. This is a 50' cord, doubled over, then doubled again. I didn't put anything in the pic for scale, but what you see is 6" wide and 36" long, end to end. Hang them, they don't need as much wall space as loops, put several on the same hook, they won't intermix or tangle with other cords on the same hook. Throw a bunch into a box, or bucket, you can pull them out, without tangling with others.

This works especially good with long, heavy three- or four-wire cords; wouldn't do it with welding cables though.

When you are ready to use it, just unthread the very top loop (in my picture), then pull, it's a series of slip-knots, comes apart very easy, then unfold the results. No tangles. Any carpenter can show you how to do this.

Edit: I like Broccoli's way of marking the cords, for easy identification of length.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by JSFAB; 09-24-2010 at 01:59 PM.
    Obviously, I'm just a hack-artist, you shouldn't be listening to anything I say .....

Quote Originally Posted by JSFAB View Post
    When you are ready to use it, just unthread the very top loop (in my picture), then pull, it's a series of slip-knots, comes apart very easy, then unfold the results. No tangles. Any carpenter can show you how to do this.
    I never did like that croshay method, when you stretch the cord out all you have is a bunch of
    Caution!
    These are "my" views based only on “my” experiences in “my” little bitty world.

Quote Originally Posted by engnerdan View Post
    Ed that is a great idea and it will work with a fair amount of what I have. It should work with the 200ft of 2/0 I have in 50 footers too.

Now what do I do with the 2 125 foot 8/3 cords. I have 400 feet of 230volt cord for running far from the generator. I am thinking about making a 2 wheeler into a mobile cord reel for the long cords that I do not use much.

-Dan
    Are you trying to find an easier way of wrapping them back up?

Heavy Cords and cable that is 1/0, 2/0 etc that are 100' - start in the Middle, stand over top the cord so the cord goes between your legs, pull the cord towards you and coil it up between your legs. When yer done with the 1st half of the cord, flip it over and then do the other half.
    Ed Conley
    MM252
    MM211
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

about 60' of 8/4 Cord- since it is only 60' and not really heavy at 60', no need to flip it over, just pull up the cord from one end and coil it between me legs.

Ed Conley
    MM252
    MM211
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

spool them up on empty 42 lp solid/flux core wire reels....
    ''True genius,in many fields of human endeaver,is often revealed in elegant simplicity"