Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Jeep Bumper

Hybrid View

Default Jeep Bumper

I have not posted on here for a while but here are a few pictures of the new front bumper that I just fabbed for my Jeep a couple months ago. I wanted to incorporate towbar attachment points for towing behind our coach which could also serve as recovery points. I also cut slits just below the towbar mounting locations to attach the safety cables as well as a female 4-pole trailer plug into the bumper so hooking/unhooking the Jeep behind our coach is a quick and simple task.

I built the bumper so it bolts to the inside of the frame horns(even though it is a unibody construction) rather than welde directly to the inner structure like many I have seen. The center section is 3/16" mild steel with the outer portions being 14 gauge mild steel. After the fabrication work was completed I had it powder coated in silver vein. It matches the side panels of the Jeep fairly well. The factory bumper is over 15" tall at the front whereas mine is only 7.5" and also dramatically improves the approach angle. Thanks for looking, Mike.

This is the starting point with the factory BS removed.

This picture is of the center section cut and tacked together.

This is with most of the rough fabrication completed and ready to remove to finish welding.

Default Jeep Bumper Continued

Here are the remaining pictures.

The next two pictures are of the completed bumper installed, just different angles.

This last picture is with it all hooked up to our coach heading out for the weekend.

Nice job.
    Miller Syncrowave 200
    Homemade Water Cooler
    130XP MIG
    Spectrum 375
    60 year old Logan Lathe
    Select Machine and Tool Mill
    More stuff than I can keep track of..

Thumbs up

gud work...... like it

I think it looks fantastic.
    Very well done!!
    Blondie (Owner C & S Automotive)

Colt the original point & click interface!

Millermatic 35 with spot panel
    Miller 340A/BP
    Victor O/A torches
    Lincoln SP125
    Too many other tools to list

03 Ram 1500
    78 GS1000
    82 GL1100 Interstate

Thanks for everyones comments. Still after one full season of traveling and being towed behind the coach it looks like new. I am very happy with how it turned out and how the powder coating is holding up. It also added a lot of ground clearance for the approach angle when off-roading. Mike.