Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: a tobbogan

Red face a tobbogan

This is my first real welding project. A couple years back I purchased a MIG with the intention to take an evening course on welding. Never did take the course and taught myself. Please do not critic the welding

I hunt from September until December in a very swampy area and end the season in snow where a trailer does not cut it behind the 4wheeler. I had and old heating oil tank and with some square and round tubing and some thinking this is what it came out like!

I cut the tank in an "L"shape welded it together to form the basic form. I caped the front and back with a steel skirt I took from an old hot water tank the square tubing was used to make the side more rigid while providing height for furure load. I built the pull bar from round tubing. Inside the bar I included a spring system to take away the jerking when riding, the ball coupler also turns 360 degrees to avoid tork when the tobogan is not on the same plane as the 4wheeler.

Last edited by Mikka; 09-23-2010 at 06:24 AM.

Its not structural so I wont say anything about the welds...haha. But your creativity and hard work have paid off. Great project! Wonderful job!

LMAO!!! What does that beast weight?
    Miller 180

>>>---Mat---->

I love the thinking behind this. I think it's great.

Keep in mind that anyone can learn to weld, thinking, that's another thing all together.

Yes, that L-shape cut is ingeneous. I can't quite tell; do you have runners on the bottom? You'd hate for that to get sideways on a slope and pull you into the swamp.

Quote Originally Posted by wroughtnharv View Post
    I love the thinking behind this. I think it's great.

Keep in mind that anyone can learn to weld, thinking, that's another thing all together.
    Very true.
    Miller 180

>>>---Mat---->

you might wanna make those runners outta some hard plate..... something tells me with weight and all involved, it wont take it long to wear a hole right through that dilly..... other than that, nice job thinking (wont critique welds)
    welder_one

nothing fancy, just a few hot glue guns for metal
    www.sicfabrications.com

Actually, it is not that heavy at all. The tank was not very heavy to start with, add the weight of the tubing and I don't think it much more than 150 lbs. I did use three cheap "T bar" also known around here as snow fence posts as skids, My ATV doesn't even feel it. It will carry corn through the swamp during hunting season and once it freezes, it will carry lots od heating wood.

Looks plenty stout! Nice job.
    Professional firefighter (retired). Amateur everything else I try to do...
    Oh yeah: GO BIG RED!

Finally got around to put the final touch on the toboggan:

Last edited by Mikka; 10-01-2010 at 05:45 PM.