Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Newbie here...

Default Newbie here...

I'm 19 and just picked up an olddd Miller 225 Thunderbolt stick welder with 2 helmets and about a 75' of cable for $100. I've worked in a hardwear store for 3 years, so I know more than most people about electrical connections and such. This will probably sound stupid, but I have no idea how to hook up the leads into the welding unit. I've attached some pictures to show what the hook ups on the machine look like, and you can see one end of the cable(the other end is female). The male end says something along the lines of "twist connection 180 degrees", but I hear that Miller uses tapered connections, not twist lock. Could it be as simple as the guy I bought it from gave me the wrong cable(he had several other welders for sale that belonged to his father, and he didn't know a thing about any of the machines), possibly to another one of the welders? The brass barbs on the unit measures 3/8" ID and 1/2" OD, and the end of the cable will not fit in it. I know that I will obviously need a cable for a ground as well as one for the stinger, so can I cut that cable in half and put the appropriate ends on? I will never need 75' of each lead, as the area I have to weld( a finished barn with 220) is only about 40' wide. I know how to hook the ground and stinger up to the other ends of the cable. All I've done is some MIG at work, so I'm pretty much welding retarded as far as experience. Any suggestions or information would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. I've looked online for the manual, could't find it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ct.boaz; 09-22-2010 at 06:00 PM.

here is a link to the manual.

http://www.millerwelds.com/om/o316g_mil.pdf

Here is a manual for a thunderbolt 225 welder:

http://www.millerwelds.com/om/o316g_mil.pdf

The ends of my leads for my Thunderbolt 225 has tapered brass shafts that stick into the socket on the front of the machine. Attached is a picture of the front of the machine and the end of the lead. My machine is about 40 years old.

Don

Miller Thunderbolt
    Smith Oxyacetylene Torch
    Miller Dynasty 200DX
    Lincoln SP-250 MIG Welder
    Clausing/Coldchester 15" Lathe
    16" DuAll Saw
    15" Drill Press
    7" x 9" Swivel Head Horizontal Band Saw
    20 Ton Arbor Press
    Bridgeport

Default Wrong Plug

You are right he gave you the wrong cables. Your cable looks like it has a tweco plug and you should Miller plugs on it. Miller plugs have a long taper to them, maybe satrting at 3/8" and tappering to about 1/2" at the handle, and the brass shank is like 2" long.
    You could trade cables, or go to the LWS and get Miller plugs, or Lenco 10 MP.
    The Lenco plugs are real heavy duty. I'll bet if you trade cables the correct ones will be shorter.
    Good Luck,
    Bob
    Added later: If all you got was one cable 75' long and you want to cut it for a stinger and ground/work, Make the stinger longer, so it can reach all around the shop. If you weld on something large the work can be on one end and does not have to be equal lenght to the stinger/electrode holder. Bob
    Last edited by Bob Miller; 09-22-2010 at 06:50 PM. Reason: added
    Millermatic 252 w/30A
    Big Blue Air Pak
    Ellis 3000 Band Saw
    Trailblazer 302 Air Pak w/ Wireless Remote
    8-RC
    Dynasty 200 DX
    XMT 350 MPa w/S-74 MPa Plus
    Millermatic 211
    Passport Plus
    Spectrum 625 X-TREME
    Lincoln SA-200 Blue Tint Red Face '63
    2-Lincoln SA-200 Red Face '68
    SA-200 Black Face '59
    SA-200 Green Lite '84
    SA-200 Green Lite '80
    SA-200 Red Face '69
    SA-200 Red Face '66
    SA-200 Green Lite '81
    Comming soon '70 Black Face Round Barrel

Here's a pic of my machine, crank is on the top

Default Miller Plugs

ct, You need plugs just like Don52 pictures. Same machine different age/style.
    And as far as stingers go, they just use a set screw to hook up and the ground clamp will need a lug, you might find a clamp with set screws.
    Good Luck,
    Bob
    Millermatic 252 w/30A
    Big Blue Air Pak
    Ellis 3000 Band Saw
    Trailblazer 302 Air Pak w/ Wireless Remote
    8-RC
    Dynasty 200 DX
    XMT 350 MPa w/S-74 MPa Plus
    Millermatic 211
    Passport Plus
    Spectrum 625 X-TREME
    Lincoln SA-200 Blue Tint Red Face '63
    2-Lincoln SA-200 Red Face '68
    SA-200 Black Face '59
    SA-200 Green Lite '84
    SA-200 Green Lite '80
    SA-200 Red Face '69
    SA-200 Red Face '66
    SA-200 Green Lite '81
    Comming soon '70 Black Face Round Barrel

I don't really have anyone to ask about things like this, so I really appreciate all the information. Gonna order the appropriate Lenco machine plugs tonight as they are half the price of the Miller ones. Thanks again everyone

@Bob Miller, great advise on the cable lengths