Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Denny,

I've been welding SS in a marine environment for a "few years".

Tri-mix can be a problem for the "hobby welder" because it's generally not available in smaller size bottles. That combined with the cost. I don't use that much, but I keep a 330 on hand for when I do need it. I've cut out/replaced too many SS welds that were done with other mixes to cut corners.

When it comes to Ed Craig, I'd take what he posts with a grain of salt. I think, more than anything else, his propensity to go against "industry standards" is more to sell books/advice than it is to help the welding community. Much of his advice, based on my own personal experience, is flat out wrong.

I personally cannot recommend an alternative mix/blend (covering gas) for SS, because I haven't used them myself. With the cost of the base material (SS), and the pre/post work involved with it, I just can't see cutting corners on gas.

I sure wouldn't recommend anything else for an underwater application in salt water.

With that said, I wouldn't be using mig to repair a cast SS shackle in the first place.
    Syncrowave 250 DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200 DX
    Miller XMT 304 w/714D Feeder & Optima Control
    Miller MM 251 w/Q300 & 30A SG
    Hobart HH187
    Dialarc 250 AC/DC
    Hypertherm PM 600 & 1250
    Wilton 7"x12" bandsaw
    PC Dry Cut Saw, Dewalt Chop Saw
    Milwaukee 8" Metal Cut Saw, Milwaukee Portaband.
    Thermco and Smith (2) Gas Mixers
    More grinders than hands

Hey SundownIII,
    I agree with you. I simply refer to Ed Craigs' site for the youngsters/newbies to get an idea of the multitude of fillers & gasses that are available & some of the results of thir usage. Personally, I found the carbon content info of fillers quite valuable. There are superb books & literature available that I have & use from Miller, Lincoln, Alcoa, ESAB, & others & I have all of them marked with a yellow highlighter for pertinent info. I don't base all needs on just one source.... all sources can be challenged or be controversial to some. I also have & use tri-mix for certain applications as I'm sure you do. Most general hobbyists & smaller outfits never found a need for it because of the low usage & the size bottles the LWS furnish.

Yup.... TIG would be the way to go.....

Denny
    * Complete welding, machine, & fab shop *
    * Mobile unit *
    * Finally retired *

* A man's word is his honor..... without honor, there is nothing. *
    * Words are like bullets..... once they leave your muzzle, you cannot get them back. *
    * I have no reservation to kill nor hesitation to die for the U.S. Constitution & the American Flag. *
    * Age is a state of mind..... at my age, you cannot fathom what is in my mind. *

Default lol

First of all york you wouldn't use 309 on a sail boat it has a high content of carbon.He should use 316L and for the gas The tri mix is used on welding stainless. I got certs on welding pressure vessels R stamp U stamp we use tri mix gas.

with the price of helium expected to skyrocket in the near future, it might be beneficial to explore the use of a different mix for ss,

As for Ed Craig, i found his site pretty informative. But I would have to agree with Sundown, you cant really trust a man with an agenda.