Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 2 Projects I started today

I saw an advertisement for a shovel type attachment for Bobcats where they had a video using it to dig up bushes, digging holes to plant trees, etc. I got this wild idea to build my own using a broken shovel, and some 1/4" wall square tubing. I already had the attachment for the Bobcat mount to use an insert with 2" ball to move trailers, so I thought, what the heck... I threw this together in about 20 minutes, even putting a brace on the underside for support. I know some of you are thinking "What is that little shovel going to do?" Well, I went out back to an area where there used to be a garden, and I started digging. I literally tried to break this thing, forcing it in the hard, dry ground. It really surprised me. I dug a big hole about 2' deep in less than a minute. I can see myself popping up dead bushes, maybe even small trees with this thing. I sharpened the edge with my grinder, and that helped.
    My other project (the 5x10 trailer) I started this morning and I will have it finished in a day or two. I need fenders and some more metal for the drop gate. Ain't welding fun?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Millermatic 251
    Millermatic Reach
    Spoolmatic 30A
    Miller BlueStar 185DX
    Hypertherm Powermax 45
    Wellsaw Bandsaw

Evolution Metal Chopsaw

And it will also flit pancakes 20 ft in te air!!
    Seriously I dig it! pun intended. never would have figured that a plane shovel blade would have held up. cool

It actually surprised me too. I really pushed it trying to see what would happen. I guess since I have a small or mini Bobcat, it works out. It's a lot better than doing it by hand.. At least it was inexpensive.. almost free! Now I need to find an auger for my machine.. I can't build that though....
    Millermatic 251
    Millermatic Reach
    Spoolmatic 30A
    Miller BlueStar 185DX
    Hypertherm Powermax 45
    Wellsaw Bandsaw

Evolution Metal Chopsaw

Quote Originally Posted by truebluelew View Post
    It actually surprised me too. I really pushed it trying to see what would happen. I guess since I have a small or mini Bobcat, it works out. It's a lot better than doing it by hand.. At least it was inexpensive.. almost free! Now I need to find an auger for my machine.. I can't build that though....
    Don't sell yourself short - give it a little thought and I bet you could do it (auger). Do you have remote hydraulics on the machine?

It has the 2 hydraulic connectors mounted on the arms at the front... I have never fooled much with hydraulic cylinders or augers much. I would like to make a grapple arm as well for my forks or bucket as well... That might not be as tough, but an auger?
    The flow rate on my mini is 6.8 GPM, which is somewhat low from what I have read. They do have augers that will work at that rate, just a little slower I guess.
    I know I could fabricate any sort of mount that it used, but beyond that I would need advice...
    Millermatic 251
    Millermatic Reach
    Spoolmatic 30A
    Miller BlueStar 185DX
    Hypertherm Powermax 45
    Wellsaw Bandsaw

Evolution Metal Chopsaw

truebluelew,

I like your approach and the great result.

I probably shouldn't admit this but I have gotten a few ideas for welding projects from watching Road Runner cartoons and seeing what contraptions Wile E Coyote comes up with.

please keep posting !
    Thermal Arc GTSW400, Airco Heliwelder II, Miller Dynasty 350, Hypertherm 1000, oxy-fuel setup, metal cutting bandsaw, air compressor, drill press, etc.:

Call me the "Clouseau" of welding !

Looks good. Wonder how long the shovel is gonna last?
    Miller 180

>>>---Mat---->

It probably won't last forever, but it's a cheap beginning of an idea. I thought about making a bigger shovel head out of 1/4" plate, using my plasma, and then sharpening it down with a grinder. The only thing about that is that it won't be forged steel. The strength wouldn't be there.. A buddy of mine has a forge and power hammer, but I don't know if I "need" to go real far with this. I probably won't use it that much, just around here for occasional small jobs... I've only had this mini Bobcat a month now, and crazy attachment ideas are always popping in my head...
    Millermatic 251
    Millermatic Reach
    Spoolmatic 30A
    Miller BlueStar 185DX
    Hypertherm Powermax 45
    Wellsaw Bandsaw

Evolution Metal Chopsaw

Sure wish I had a bobcat. They are so useful.
    Miller 180

>>>---Mat---->

I saw something similar to this some time back and thought it would be handy for the tree and bush removal and planting, such as you described. Just a thought in case the shovel fails.

The one I saw was probably 3/8" wall by 16 to 20 inch dia pipe cut on angle and welded to a quick attach. I would think that with the high degree angle, so long as it wasn't stuffed full with dirt, that the dirt chunk would come out fairly easy. This is just a cheesy sketch but it should get the idea across.

Miller 211 A.S. and Spoolmate 100
    Stickmate LX 235 AC / 160 DC.
    Clarke 180 EN Just in case
    Spectrum 375 X-Treme.
    O/A Medium Radnor Torch, Large Victor Torch.
    Milwaukee 14" Chop Saw.
    4 x 6 Horizontal Band Saw.
    Rockworth 80 Gallon 2 Stage 16 SCFM @ 175 PSI , 15 SCFM @ 90 PSI.
    Jackson Passive shade #5 for the plasma.
    I almost forgot the Hobart XVP AD Hood.

Projects and Misc Albums
    http://picasaweb.google.com/keesfriend Feel Free to Have a Look ( Just keep in mind I am an amateur )