Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Need some help setting up a LN-25

Sure has been a long time since I stopped in here An old friend gave me a LN-25 last week. He gave me a roll of 1/16 wire to go with it. He didn't know what kind it was. I have three power sources that I can use it with. An old Hobart Mega-Mig 300 RVS, a Deltaweld 452, and an old Idealarc 250. I played with it a little bit hooked to the Hobart. I tried it with gas, without gas, electrode pos, electrode neg. Seemed to do ok without gas. Polarity didn't make much difference. It spattered alot and the puddle would ball up and fall out when trying to go uphill. I didn't really know how to set everything so, that could have been my fault. I want to use it for welding pin bosses in heavy equipment, repairs on log trailers, stuff like that. Most of the stuff is kinda dirty, sometimes I have some gaps to fill. Right now I use 7018 SMAW for that and I want to speed things up. Is there a self shielded wire that would do what I need? Sometimes I'm working outside.

Now, I got the Deltaweld and a 60 series feeder at an auction. I would like to use solid wire to finish a dump trailer project I'm woking on. I've been using the old Mega-Mig with .035 for that, but I wanna see if this Deltaweld/60 series will do better. Any suggestions? Most of it is less than 3/16" thick.
    Zeb's Welding and Machine

Oh I almost forgot, the 60 series came with huge reel of 5/64" something or other. I cant read whats on the cardboard thing inside. How can I tell what it is?

Default set up of ln 25 and other migs..

Hello, I guess you have a couple questions to answer. First , the Ln-25s are a voltage sensing feeder , they will work on CC or CV , If your power source has CV you will get better results using it. These feeders coupled with the correct wire and gas will work excellent for what you want to use them for. The key thing is the correct combination. Ideally you could use flux cored wire of two types , dual shielded or completely self shielded. The flux cored wire that requires shielding gas usually is treated just like regular MIG wires and is burnt on DCRP or direct current electrode positive. Not all wires do so you have to read the literature or the tags on the box of wire. Many , again not all, of the self shielded (gas less) wires burn best using DCSP or straight polarity. You have to know the identity of the wire to set up the parameters. You could also us a metal cored wire for the bosses etc. It is best to follow the wire manufacturers parameter as closely as possible.

As far as your deltaweld and 60 series is concerned for that application you could probably burn .035 hard-wire (e70s-6) or some equivalent wire again, with the proper shielding gas with very good general fab results. I really like the Esab Mig 6 wire or even Lincoln electrics equivalent wire. You could similarly set that machine up with a flux cored or Metal cored wire and have very good results as well. Again i like the Lincoln Self shielded wire and the Esab dual shield or 710x series wire. it is very versatile for everything from buckets to beam work and almost anything in between. obviously you would need to match the wire size to the required deposition and feed rates to match the job.
    Last edited by sturugged; 09-13-2010 at 05:33 PM. Reason: spelling errors
    I have a welding addiction

...the only stupid question is the one you didn't ask

What size would be best for the dual shield or self shield? I have used some Hobart Exel arc 71 .045 in the past. I have never used any of this big stuff this equipment came with. Is 1/16 or 5/64 overkill for what I need?

Default wire sizes ....

hello again, I would recommend the 045 to start with in both for most out of position work and lighter thicknesses, We also use 1/16 in flat and horizontal positions. Again if you have monster big grooves or gaps to fill , then you can usually pump up to the larger wire sizes. Much of the size requirements is dependent on what your machines will handle and how fast you want to get the job done. For most general work like the bosses you described either of those wires will work , again depending if it is out of position or not. The 045 wires in spray transfer are relatively easy to control.
    I have a welding addiction

...the only stupid question is the one you didn't ask

If you are working on heavy equipment and log trailers, best advice I can give you is toss out all the old wire you got for free, that you don't even know what it is, and buy some new wire that you can use with confidence, knowing the weld parameters and properties of the finished weld.
    Obviously, I'm just a hack-artist, you shouldn't be listening to anything I say .....

Quote Originally Posted by JSFAB View Post
    If you are working on heavy equipment and log trailers, best advice I can give you is toss out all the old wire you got for free, that you don't even know what it is, and buy some new wire that you can use with confidence, knowing the weld parameters and properties of the finished weld.
    I,ll second this advice.And i,m i huge fan of .068 NR-212 is the wire i run mostly on the work your describing.
    BB402D
    TB300D
    DIMENSION652
    MM250X
    MAXSTAR140
    S-32 FEEDER W/1260 IRONMATE FC/GUN
    HT/PWR-MAX1250 PLASMA

What brand is that NR-212 you speak of? What voltage and wire speed is a good starting point for that? Is that a self shielded wire? Sorry for all the questions. I'm gonna have to order it because I know my lws isn't gonna have it on the shelf an isn't gonna know what I'm talking about.

It,s self shielding made by Lincoln.Run it DCEN as stated on the box.Running off my Trailblazer 300D i,m at about 22-25v/CV and my S-32s is at 2-2-1/2 on the dial.It helps to have someone dial you in while your running until you get the ideal spots on your machine/feeder.Hope this bit info helps you out.
    BB402D
    TB300D
    DIMENSION652
    MM250X
    MAXSTAR140
    S-32 FEEDER W/1260 IRONMATE FC/GUN
    HT/PWR-MAX1250 PLASMA