Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by arrowside View Post
    What's your balance set at? Is your CFM/ gas flow set correctly? I'm not familiar with the 200, but does it have a %HF setting?
    I can't change my balance in DC. 13CFH. No, I can't adjust the HF.

Default say cheeze!!

take another pic Toofazt. lets have a look
    Will it weld? I loooove electricity!

Miller 251/30A spool
    Syncro200
    Spectrum 625
    O/A
    Precix 5x10 CNC Router12"Z
    Standard modern lathe
    Cheap Chinese mill that does the trick... sort of...
    horizontal 7x12 bandsaw
    Roland XC540 PRO III
    54" laminator
    hammer and screwdriver (most used)
    little dog
    pooper scooper (2nd most used...)

Quote Originally Posted by SignWave View Post
    take another pic Toofazt. lets have a look
    You asked for them... I know the welds suck, but that's not the point

It seems like I get the black soot when I slow down. You can see the differences in the pictures below. All welded one after another, just different speeds... I've also been able to keep a clean pointed tip on the tungsten so far Maybe I just need to speed up my welds?

150A, 10PPS.

Last edited by toofazt; 12-19-2007 at 05:13 PM.

Ok, I have no idea what is causing the black soot now. I just went out and welded a bead quicker than I was before and it just gave me lots of the black soot and pin holes

its the mil scale. trust me. grind it off so there is none closer than 1/2" to your weld. it should come out looking nicer and no black soot.

Quote Originally Posted by Canada View Post
    its the mil scale. trust me. grind it off so there is none closer than 1/2" to your weld. it should come out looking nicer and no black soot.
    Really? I sand blasted it about 1" from the edge of each piece. I'll clean it better and try again... Thanks for the suggestion

Talking

Theres your problem. Don't sand blast it. Blasting inbeds oxides and blasting media into the metal contaminating the welds. Since there arn't realy any scavenging agents alloyed into most Tig rods there can't be any contaminanints in the weld zone. We had the same problem at the last company I worked at. I kept telling them to stop blasting everything but they never listened. 45% of production time was spent making repairs.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti-GMAW View Post
    I kept telling them to stop blasting everything but they never listened. 45% of production time was spent making repairs.
    I think this happens in all places of business, where the less informed or less educated fail to listen to somebody more knowledgable. My favorite saying at work for this is " Never enough time or money to do it right but always enough time and money to do it over "
    Ken

What else is there besides welding and riding. Besides that

Miller Thunderbolt XL 300/200 AC/DC
    Hobart Handler 187
    Dewalt Chop Saw
    4" Air Grinder
    Die Grinder
    Rigid Drill Press
    Kellogg 10hp Air Compressor

2009 FXDC

Quote Originally Posted by Anti-GMAW View Post
    Theres your problem. Don't sand blast it. Blasting inbeds oxides and blasting media into the metal contaminating the welds. Since there arn't realy any scavenging agents alloyed into most Tig rods there can't be any contaminanints in the weld zone. We had the same problem at the last company I worked at. I kept telling them to stop blasting everything but they never listened. 45% of production time was spent making repairs.
    Good to know! So the only way I should prep the surface is with acetone and a stainless wire brush? Or grinder? Thanks again, sorry for the newbie questions