Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Airco 2.25/DDG-AMEL-A Welder/Generator

Hello,
    I've been getting lots of good info here for many years but this is my first post.
    I bought a very used old welder/generator. It's an Airco but apparently it was built by Miller (same as my old Airco TIG welder). It runs and is allegedly completely functional, but I'm not 100% certain how to operate it.
    Anyone know what the equivalent Miller was to this Airco? I'm trying to locate an operators manual.
    Any info at all would definitely be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Dave.

Last edited by daveco; 09-13-2010 at 02:18 AM.

Thumbs up Miller Customer Service is Amazing!

Barb at the Miller Literature department just sent me a pdf of the operators manual and parts list for my FOURTY YEAR OLD Airco (Miller) welder!!

Now that's impressive!!

THANKS BARB!
    Last edited by daveco; 09-15-2010 at 10:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by daveco View Post
    Barb at the Miller Literature department just sent me a pdf of the operators manual and parts list for my FOURTY YEAR OLD Airco (Miller) welder!!

Now that's impressive!!

THANKS BARB!
    You have an original Miller manufactured Gold Star selenium rectifier in that machine as well.

Pretty cool.
    So you're telling me...You're not nostalgic? Then, give me another word for it......

Lightbulb Selenium Rectifier?

Selenium rectifier eh, well that explains why I didn't see any big diodes.
    Any advantage to the selenium set up over newer style diodes?

"Blowing through the Jasmine in my mind.........." So thats what he is singing. "going to the jazz band" never did make sense.
    Last edited by daveco; 09-15-2010 at 02:53 PM.

Not really. The rectifier looks like a lot of plates bolted together.
    Will work just fine until it shorts out. Then you have to replace it with a new style diode and heat sink assembly that you will have to design.
    Glenn 300 amp stick
    Millermatic 35
    L-tec plasma

Thanks CCA,
    I had never even heard of selenium rectifiers until this welder, although my TIG is so old it probably has one also.

Quote Originally Posted by daveco View Post
    Selenium rectifier eh, well that explains why I didn't see any big diodes.
    Any advantage to the selenium set up over newer style diodes?

"Blowing through the Jasmine in my mind.........." So thats what he is singing. "going to the jazz band" never did make sense.
    No. Selenium Rectifiers were earlier than diode styles. Miller manufactured these rectifiers inhouse specifically for themselves. In later years, diodes simply replaced them as newer technology.

No problem with the rectifier you have, just it will be challenging to find a replacement plate set if you were to blow one. There's still a lot of old Miller machines floating around with this style rectifier in them so it would just be a matter of knowing where to look if one was needed down the road.

As for the song, Seals & Crofts Summer Breeze.

He's basically singing about coming home from work on a summer Friday night. The lyrics are quite simple, but reflect how probably anyone feels coming home on a warm night, to a home cooked meal & their family.

I can remember hearing it on the radio when I was a real little kid.

You have a very cool old engine drive. Thanks for posting the pix.
    So you're telling me...You're not nostalgic? Then, give me another word for it......

Default Airco

I think this welder is closer to 50 years old. Miller's model number was AEAD200LE. This CCK Onan had no mechanism to retard spark and no starter - very hard to pull start but long life due to cast iron block and replaceable bearings. Don't worry about the rectifier, diode unit will slip right in if you ever need to replace it. Be careful with the auxiliary power while welding - like a Lincoln it is DC. weldersales

Thanks for the information guys.

Much Appreciated,
    Dave.