Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Deer stands

This is an idea for a climber. It was mentioned above about using round tube. We made a few climbing stands our of EMT electrical conduit. It is light and strong. You have to be fairly proficient to weld it because it is thin but it makes a good stand. The next lower size usually slides well into the larger size so it is easy to make the part that goes around the tree and fit it into the seat part, same for the climber. You would have to use something more stout for a ladder stand however. I don't know what the # rating would be on the EMT climber - I was a little lighter then. I don't know if I would trust it now
    If I had know I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself.

Quote Originally Posted by ohsobad_chevy View Post
    Thanks for the replies, fellas. I am going to go with some 14 ga mild steel. I get it for 50 cents a foot. I will paint it when its done and they will be taken down every year, so rusting wont be a big issue. I have been looking on cabelas and basspro sites, they look super easy to make.

I can't afford to rent or have access to a bender, whats the best joint to make at the top of the ladder?
    Home Cheapo and sLowe's both sell inexpensive conduit benders. They're manual benders and use a pipe for the handle so you can make it as long as you need. I have several sizes and they work very well. EMT conduit is relatively thin wall and easy to bend. You might have to go one size bigger as if you were using rigid conduit to bend your 14 ga. but it'll get the job done for as much as you have to bend. I think the benders are under 20 bucks.
    Blondie (Owner C & S Automotive)

Colt the original point & click interface!

Millermatic 35 with spot panel
    Miller 340A/BP
    Victor O/A torches
    Lincoln SP125
    Too many other tools to list

03 Ram 1500
    78 GS1000
    82 GL1100 Interstate

For the Stand to be able to break down in sections you'll need some way to keep the sections together- where the sections meet, a Sleeve over the joint and pins through the 2 pieces will hold it together.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

Quote Originally Posted by Blondie_486 View Post
    Home Cheapo and sLowe's both sell inexpensive conduit benders. They're manual benders and use a pipe for the handle so you can make it as long as you need. I have several sizes and they work very well. EMT conduit is relatively thin wall and easy to bend. You might have to go one size bigger as if you were using rigid conduit to bend your 14 ga. but it'll get the job done for as much as you have to bend. I think the benders are under 20 bucks.
    Sweet, I will check them out. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Broccoli1 View Post
    For the Stand to be able to break down in sections you'll need some way to keep the sections together- where the sections meet, a Sleeve over the joint and pins through the 2 pieces will hold it together.
    Yeah, I was wondering what would be the best thing to make the sleeve out of. Since it would have to fit tight, I can't go up with 1-1/2" square. Would some angle welded on to the tubing work?
    Miller 180

>>>---Mat---->

Quote Originally Posted by ohsobad_chevy View Post
    Sweet, I will check them out. Thanks.

Yeah, I was wondering what would be the best thing to make the sleeve out of. Since it would have to fit tight, I can't go up with 1-1/2" square. Would some angle welded on to the tubing work?
    That should work
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

I made one out of an old TV antenna tower, and welded up a platform on top. It's already made in sections, i think i used one full one, and a half section. Get to the tree, bolt it together, and ratchet strapped it around the tree. It's worked great for me

I hope to get started on the stand this weekend. I will post some pictures of what I come up with. Should be interesting.
    Miller 180

>>>---Mat---->

Deer season came in two days ago in our region of SC. I haven't seen anybody hunting yet. Maybe it is because it had been in the 90's both days. I think everybody is scared they might have to drag one out of the woods in the heat
    If I had know I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself.

Quote Originally Posted by 6010 View Post
    Deer season came in two days ago in our region of SC. I haven't seen anybody hunting yet. Maybe it is because it had been in the 90's both days. I think everybody is scared they might have to drag one out of the woods in the heat
    lol......I don't blame em. I wouldn't wanna kill one when it's 90, either.
    Miller 180

>>>---Mat---->

Haven't had any more time in the shop. Been really busy lately.
    Miller 180

>>>---Mat---->