Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Deer stands

Default Deer stands

I am wanting to make some ladder stands. I have a lot of 1/8" x 1" square mild tubing, but I would like them to be lighter if at all possible. I am wanting to make them 15 feet from platform to the ground. What would be the best material for this project?

If anyone has any other info on building stands, such as plans, etc. I would really appreciate it. I am looking for any advice I can get.

TIA
    Miller 180

>>>---Mat---->

something that really works well is some 1 1/2 inch conduit. either buy or rent a conduit bender and bend two 90 degree angles on one end of a couple 20' pieces of conduit and get some 1" conduit and flatten the edges after you cut them however wide you want them and weld them in as your rungs. then cut some plywood (i use treated) and bolt it to the top platform supports. i usually cut a v-notch in the middle of the platform to fit against the tree and we either use ratchet straps or rope with a cinch knot against the tree.

fairly cheap and the ones i have are about 7 years old, so they hold up pretty good.

Miller Trailblazer 302
    Smith Torch Outfit
    Lots of Grinders
    Miller Elite Autodark Hood
    O'l Trusty Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by welderdude402 View Post
    something that really works well is some 1 1/2 inch conduit. either buy or rent a conduit bender and bend two 90 degree angles on one end of a couple 20' pieces of conduit and get some 1" conduit and flatten the edges after you cut them however wide you want them and weld them in as your rungs. then cut some plywood (i use treated) and bolt it to the top platform supports. i usually cut a v-notch in the middle of the platform to fit against the tree and we either use ratchet straps or rope with a cinch knot against the tree.

fairly cheap and the ones i have are about 7 years old, so they hold up pretty good.

I never thought of conduit. I can prolly buy light gauge mild steel at the yard for cheaper than conduit though. What gauge would you say it is? Do you have any pics of them?
    Miller 180

>>>---Mat---->

sorry bout no pics but i usually dont have time to get pics of them cause its last minute get em in the tree thing lol. but i would say that conduit is about 16 ga. and its galvanized so that it resists the rusting, but i paint them anyway. the bottoms of the wood platforms i use a mapp gass torch and charr it so its almost camo'd.

but its pretty easy to build and cheap. i think i usually make the rungs about 20 inches wide.

Miller Trailblazer 302
    Smith Torch Outfit
    Lots of Grinders
    Miller Elite Autodark Hood
    O'l Trusty Jackson

Default deer stands...

I have seen lots of stands made from 3/4 inch tubing with about 1/16 wall thickness, in both aluminum and carbon steel, if it is bent and then trussed it is very strong. I know some guys that built some using only a picture from a Cabela's catalog and they used their own measurements and made them custom to suit their individual needs. That small tubing is very strong if the joint designs are good and if you weld them up using correct procedures.
    I have a welding addiction

...the only stupid question is the one you didn't ask

Thanks for the replies, fellas. I am going to go with some 14 ga mild steel. I get it for 50 cents a foot. I will paint it when its done and they will be taken down every year, so rusting wont be a big issue. I have been looking on cabelas and basspro sites, they look super easy to make.

I can't afford to rent or have access to a bender, whats the best joint to make at the top of the ladder?
    Last edited by ohsobad_chevy; 09-13-2010 at 07:58 PM.
    Miller 180

>>>---Mat---->

Also, should I make the ladder all one piece, or how would be the best way to segment it? I would like to make it fit in the back of my truck if at all possible.
    Miller 180

>>>---Mat---->

Da.amn..89.00 bux

bet you'll have 60 bux in to your stand by the time you are finished.

Anyhoo- if you can't bend the corners then just add a Brace from the Foot rest to the seat.
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

Quote Originally Posted by ohsobad_chevy View Post
    Also, should I make the ladder all one piece, or how would be the best way to segment it? I would like to make it fit in the back of my truck if at all possible.
    then you'll have to sleeve and pin it for it to be able to break down.
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

Quote Originally Posted by Broccoli1 View Post
    Da.amn..89.00 bux

bet you'll have 60 bux in to your stand by the time you are finished.

Anyhoo- if you can't bend the corners then just add a Brace from the Foot rest to the seat.
    Not quite that much, I will get 100 foot of 1" square (14ga) for $55. That will get me going. Other than that, paint is the only other expense.

Quote Originally Posted by Broccoli1 View Post
    then you'll have to sleeve and pin it for it to be able to break down.
    Pardon my ignorance, but can you explain what you mean exactly. Would I have to do that with angle?

As you can probably tell, I don't have too many welding projects under my belt, still a little green.
    Miller 180

>>>---Mat---->