Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default a question for the experts

I wish to tig up the rear scope mount holes (missaligned) in a Mauser rifle action. I have been told this will not affect the rest of the actions heat treatment as its the rear holes I',m tiging. My question relates to the filler rod. Would a standard mild steel filler rod be ok or should i use something else (what?)

can you post a pic? it may be advantageous.
    Will it weld? I loooove electricity!

Miller 251/30A spool
    Syncro200
    Spectrum 625
    O/A
    Precix 5x10 CNC Router12"Z
    Standard modern lathe
    Cheap Chinese mill that does the trick... sort of...
    horizontal 7x12 bandsaw
    Roland XC540 PRO III
    54" laminator
    hammer and screwdriver (most used)
    little dog
    pooper scooper (2nd most used...)

Quote Originally Posted by grahambr View Post
    I wish to tig up the rear scope mount holes (missaligned) in a Mauser rifle action. I have been told this will not affect the rest of the actions heat treatment as its the rear holes I',m tiging. My question relates to the filler rod. Would a standard mild steel filler rod be ok or should i use something else (what?)
    Mauser actions are typically case hardened. Since where you are welding is away from the chamber, you should be safe. But I suggest you weld up what you have to do. Minimized the time spent with the arc on and get the part in some oil to cool it off asap, used or new motor oil is fine.

Actions are commonly 4140 or 4130 steel and will anneal if you let them get too hot or warm for too long.

You will need ER80S-D2 tig rod. Make sure the hole is really clean prior to welding you do not want any porosity. Brake parts cleaner is good for degreasing. I would drill out any threads first also.

Good luck!!!
    Ron

ShopFloorTalk

Millermatic 350P, Roughneck 4012 and Ironmate guns
    Dynasty 300DX, Coolmate 3, Crafter CS-310 Torch
    Trailblazer 302, 12RC, WC-24
    30A spoolgun
    Spectrum 2050

Thermal Arc Plasma Welder PS-3000/WC-100B

Talking

How deep are the holes? I know a guy who tried to do the same thing on a mauser and blew right through. The holes were drilled to deep to begin with and he just asumed they were drilled to the proper depth.

thanks for the assist guys, much appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by Anti-GMAW View Post
    How deep are the holes? I know a guy who tried to do the same thing on a mauser and blew right through. The holes were drilled to deep to begin with and he just asumed they were drilled to the proper depth.
    Ummmm.... I own Mausers, worked on Mausers and have been welding for 22 years if he blew through the receiver he was doing something WAY wrong...
    Ron

ShopFloorTalk

Millermatic 350P, Roughneck 4012 and Ironmate guns
    Dynasty 300DX, Coolmate 3, Crafter CS-310 Torch
    Trailblazer 302, 12RC, WC-24
    30A spoolgun
    Spectrum 2050

Thermal Arc Plasma Welder PS-3000/WC-100B

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by shadetreewelder View Post
    Ummmm.... I own Mausers, worked on Mausers and have been welding for 22 years if he blew through the receiver he was doing something WAY wrong...
    As I stated before the holes were drilled too deep to begin with. The guy he bought it from must not have been that great of a gunsmith. It's not the first time somone has drilled the holes to deep on a receiver. And yes you'r right, he did do somthing wrong. He should have checked the depth of the holes first instead of assuming they were ok. He set the machine up the same way he always did and found out the hard way that it wasn't right.

Quote Originally Posted by grahambr View Post
    Drop me a PM from this board.
    I can put you in touch with a guy in Douglas Wyoming, (USA) that used to build one of the original three position safety's for the Mauser 98 actions and probably one of the most knowledgeable regarding the heat treatment of the Mauser 98 actions..... not to mention a retired physicist to boot.

So you might ask how I know this chap???? Just so happens to be my father.
    Best Regard,

Miller Passport
    Miller 225G
    Red 255
    VIctor O/A
    Wish list:
    Maxstar 150STH or
    Syncrowave 250DX
    A Dynasty 300 if I am wishing really hard..