Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Troubleshooting Maxstar 140 str

I got a Maxstar 140 str from a friend to try and fix it before he sells it for next to nothing (if I do I can keep it for next to nothing). He says it worked fine one day,then the next day nothing, no lights or anything. Does anyone have a repair manual they could share? Thanks in advance.

A service manual isn't available - at least Miller doesn't make it available to the public that is.

Might be something simple but a number of these - including the one I own - have experienced a major board failure that are too expensive to justify replacing.

Just my $.02.
    MM200 w/spot controller and Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180 SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus LPG/NG w/14-pin*
    *Homemade Suitcase Wire Feeder
    *HF-251D-1
    *WC-1S & Spoolmatic 1
    PakMaster 100XL
    Marquette "Star Jet" 21-110

Thanks for the reply. So I start taking this thing apart and just looking for anything really obvious and when I get to the little circuit board where the LEDs and the pot is and I notice there's 2 capacitors that have leaked, so I replace them, then power it up, and looks like that didn't do it. So then I decide to check for DC at the big capacitors, and while I'm poking with the probes I hear a click, and the led comes on. So either the caps I replaced did the trick , or I jusneeded to let all the caps charge up. Anyway, I haven't tried to weld yet, will do tomorrow . I'll see what it does.

Well maybe you'll luck out and it turn out it was something simple. Let's hope so.

I'd also be looking for a poor/loose/cracked solder connection somewhere that may have been "reconnected" by your poking around with the test probes.
    MM200 w/spot controller and Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180 SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus LPG/NG w/14-pin*
    *Homemade Suitcase Wire Feeder
    *HF-251D-1
    *WC-1S & Spoolmatic 1
    PakMaster 100XL
    Marquette "Star Jet" 21-110

Before you start throwing money at it, get a tech manual from Miller ($15) & go thru the pre power checklist on it. This will allow you to test major components in the system before applying power.

If you have a multi problem issue & replace parts without knowing the cause of failure, you're just flushing your money down the drain.

That would be where I would start.
    So you're telling me...You're not nostalgic? Then, give me another word for it......

OK, so I figured I'd post an outcome of this saga. I took the machine to my shop and hooked up argon,etc. and it works like a charm. So I guess it was the two capacitors that I replaced. So I get a great deal on a nice little maxstar 140. Thanks for the help!

Default Troubleshooting Maxstar 140 revisited

Hi All,
    New member here, picking up on an old thread. Not sure if this should be a new post or not, but thought i'd just reply to the old one for continuity.
    I bought a Maxstar 140 new in 1999 and have used it a lot. I've used it as a stick machine on site a bit, but mostly in my small shop as a tig. No complaints about this machine. Of course lift arc makes for a lot of tungsten touch up time, and without a on/off valve for the gas on my torch, i use more argon than i'd like, but thats about it. Well, it finally stopped working yesterday after 15 years.

As per the manual the "Ready light On / Over Temperature light Flashing" means i need to take it to be serviced. I tried a few things, the ol on/off, the ol open the machine and blow the dust out. Even put a new plug on the cord end as it was looking a little shabby, but nothing brings it back. There is an audible pop from the machine when it powers up for about 30 seconds, which new to this unit and these ears. When i had it opened it looked good inside. Nothing obviously wrong. All visible connections look fine.

So if anyone knows what it could be, or if Cgarcia could describe which parts are the "capacitors" and a bit about how you install em, that would be great... if thats the problem. Meanwhile im shopping for a 210 or 250, as i swore id get a bigger machine when the 140 died.

thanks, and happy Independence Day to all

Do a search for capacitors online. They don't wear out but can go bad from age and overvoltage. The way I figure it when something like your Maxstar goes bad, it does not work now so how can a DIY fix make it worse?

Turn the power off, remove the covers and take pictures and mark the connections with masking tape tags. Then a good visual inspection.
    Even replacing all the capacitors may not be that expensive, find someone who works on electronics or at least can solder on a circuit board to do the work.
    Miller MultiMate 200 MIG/ Stick/TIG
    Retired
    Journeyman Refrigeration Pipefitter
    Master Electrician
    Amateur Home shop Machinist & Welder

Yeah, thanks wmgeorge. I'll look into capacitors. Was hoping that someone who has already done this repair could weigh in. Im sure im not the first to have a 140 stop running in this way. Just picked up a used syncro 180sd, so the pressure is off for getting this fixed immediately.