Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default New to me truck!!!

1992 international 18000 miles crane needs work so does the the bed.
    I will find out tommorow how good it runs 900 miles to get home

3nc3p93lf5T25U55R2a8sa484f40a6abd1171.jpg
    3kf3o23ld5Y05Z35U6a8s698a0bfde8d412ea.jpg
    New toys rock!!

Looks like a nice welding truck Which engine trans combo is in it?
    Lincoln Vantage Kubota diesel 30 amp spool gun , Hobart 210 with spool gun, Thermal dynamic pak master 75, miller 304xmt all mobile all ready to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Gmmandan View Post
    Looks like a nice welding truck Which engine trans combo is in it?
    6 cylinder diesel with 6 plus trans
    Up grading so i can keep my line boring stuff all together ready to go.
    The truck made the trip home no problems at all. The bed is rusted to crap so its going into the scrap pile, guess that I can get a chance to try building my own bed.
    the crane is mounted seperately. That should make the bed easyer.
    cant wait til get cought up at the shop so I can get to work on it .

Looks like an old Rail Road crew truck, if so it probably has had a full maintenance life and records to support it. I used to go to the auctions and buy a lot of RR equipment because it was always bigger than they needed and well taken care of and rarely used very much and very likely to not be abused. I got a quincy air compressor like that and it is still working to this day, 35 yaers after I got it and I think it was at least 15 years old when I got it way back when. Nice score on the truck, whats wrong with the crane? Those are usually pretty heavy duty too and pretty easy to fix when something does go wrong. Good luck getting her all together and making money.
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Rbeckett View Post
    Looks like an old Rail Road crew truck, if so it probably has had a full maintenance life and records to support it. I used to go to the auctions and buy a lot of RR equipment because it was always bigger than they needed and well taken care of and rarely used very much and very likely to not be abused. I got a quincy air compressor like that and it is still working to this day, 35 yaers after I got it and I think it was at least 15 years old when I got it way back when. Nice score on the truck, whats wrong with the crane? Those are usually pretty heavy duty too and pretty easy to fix when something does go wrong. Good luck getting her all together and making money.
    Bob
    The Bearing on the rotating group that holds the primary mast is either loose or the bearing is worn. Realy hope the tensioning nut is just loose because those big pancake bearings can get pretty expensive.There is also a leak from one of the down rigger cylinders from the rod end.It should be no big deal as part of our machine shop services is hydralic repair.

After getting it out to my shop we layed out some cleane cardboard under the engin trans and rear end to see if there were any leaks and let the truck sit there and idle for about half an hour. There was not a single drop of oil!

Cant wait to get steel ordered tuesday, the rusted bed ripped off, and started building the new bed. Will update with pics as the project comes along if others would be intrested to see.

The truck is definitly a lot bigger then I needed but I learned a long time ago running my machine shop equipment cant be to big but it dang shure can be to small!

Have you considered looking for a replacement bed? Those beds are pretty standard and I'll bet there's ton of them out there that are in good condition that came off of high mileage trucks.

Of course you're going to want to search in the south where the rust worms find it tough going.

Quote Originally Posted by wroughtnharv View Post
    Have you considered looking for a replacement bed? Those beds are pretty standard and I'll bet there's ton of them out there that are in good condition that came off of high mileage trucks.

Of course you're going to want to search in the south where the rust worms find it tough going.
    Yes indeed I have been searching craigs list and e bay with no luck I am by no means locked in to that bed style Would really like a mechanics or utility style bed. i just cant seem to find one for my price range $2000-3000 If any one hase one or any ideas on where to find one please let me know. I figure that for more than that i can build one and with our cnc plasma table i can knock out the parts real fast and we have 240 ft of 2 x 4 x 1/4 wall tube laying around for the frame. My plan was to recycle the boxes that are on there and just build new frame and deck and repaint.
    Thanks

I would look at truck paper, google it. Craigs list also allows you to search cities outside of your own area. I would recommend places in Texas, Oklahoma, New Mexico, and Arizona. Another good place would be California because their smog laws take vehicles off the road long before they're removed in other states.

The freight can be negotiated by going online to one of the freight sites where the owner operators will deal direct with you on a return run. They can be pretty reasonable when they're facing a empty load back home.

Quote Originally Posted by wroughtnharv View Post
    Another good place would be California because their smog laws take vehicles off the road long before they're removed in other states.

Rubbin' it in, huh, Harve????

Actually, he's got a good point. I've got an 86 diesel IH, maintained immaculately, air brakes as good as the day it came out of the factory, in-frame done about 40,000 miles ago, essentially worthless today. Registered non-op last year, all it is today is a 25,000 pound toolbox.
    Obviously, I'm just a hack-artist, you shouldn't be listening to anything I say .....

Quote Originally Posted by JSFAB View Post
    Rubbin' it in, huh, Harve????

Actually, he's got a good point. I've got an 86 diesel IH, maintained immaculately, air brakes as good as the day it came out of the factory, in-frame done about 40,000 miles ago, essentially worthless today. Registered non-op last year, all it is today is a 25,000 pound toolbox.
    I knew this was your kind of truck and if anyone would know where one was you would be the one.