Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Questions about trailer construction

I am working on a small aluminum trailer. I am starting to double think the material size its only going to ever have like 700 pounds. I attached a drawing and materials list please help me out. Thank you so much

small al trailer .jpg

Default Tung for trailer

I would make the tung out of Retangle tubing 1 1/2 x 3 by 3/16 long ways for 2x2 by 1/8 Alum. I would not make it any less if anything, Little thicker wall on everything. But hey thats me 2 cents lol
    Vernon
    Last edited by Vernon; 08-30-2010 at 08:15 PM.

Ditto on that for sure. That is even too light for STEEL!!
    Is this a trailer you are gonna pull around behind a garden tractor, or behind a car on the highway??

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
    Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
    MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
    Miller 30-A Spoolgun
    Miller WC-115-A
    Miller Spectrum 300
    Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
    SPEEDGLAS 9100XX

it is for the highway i was thinking it was to light but i want to make is as light as possible. Its for behind my Mini Cooper so weight is an issue it will mainly be used to hall a tool box or a few sheets of ply wood and some two by fours. i would make it out of steel but im sick of dealing with paint and rust. as my friend has with his trailer.

So i updated the bill of materials with changing some thicknesses. i have a rubber torsion axel rated for 2000lb that gets placed centered on the two plates. I plan on half inch ply wood for the floor maybe eventually upgrade to tread plate. please give you opinion cuz im trying to go the least that i can but i dont want a weak trailer. thankyou

small al trailer update.jpg

Your new BOM is safer for all.

As far as the floor is concerned, stick to the plywood. Wood has a better resistance to slipping, you know the stuff you put into the trailer won't walk about.
    Looks like you have enough support under the wood to keep the heavy stuff from falling though. Since you have a rating of 2000lbs I think it all looks good.

Enjoy your trailer.
    Live Right Have Fun

XMT350 CV/CC
    22A Feeder
    MM175
    Dynasty 200DX
    TB302
    12vs Extreme
    Hypertherm PowerMax 1000
    20" x 40" CNC Mills (2)
    16" x 60" engine lathe
    65 Ton edwards iron worker
    3/16' x 24" power slip roll
    16' power feed mitering bandsaw
    and other fun toys

thats trailer tongue need to be plated or ribbed to reinforce it ive used raw aluminum trailers for highway before it either needs to t6 or have 1/4 to 3/8 plates to resist bending and stretching

also for the weight s would want it might be better to go how you fame floors with 2x4 vertical to hold stronger but make it out of 2x4 aluminum box tube

other than that itll be a great little trailer make a mini headache rack for 2x4s or pipe that longer than the trailer

next project trailer hitch mount for mini cooper
    Leblond Makino mills
    HAAS CNC SL-40 lathe
    American Pacemaker lathe
    wells index mill
    hydrotel rebuilt
    syncrowave 250
    diversion 165
    Miller Elite Vintage USA

Quote Originally Posted by cncmachinist View Post
    thats trailer tongue need to be plated or ribbed to reinforce it ive used raw aluminum trailers for highway before it either needs to t6 or have 1/4 to 3/8 plates to resist bending and stretching

also for the weight s would want it might be better to go how you fame floors with 2x4 vertical to hold stronger but make it out of 2x4 aluminum box tube

other than that itll be a great little trailer make a mini headache rack for 2x4s or pipe that longer than the trailer

next project trailer hitch mount for mini cooper
    Thanks you for the post.