Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Kubota8540

Hybrid View

Default Kubota8540

Good afternoon all,

I'm pleased to become a participant (and newest member) in this forum. I'm not an expert welder but am gaining experience and really enjoy the time I spend working on projects. I have two MIG welders, one "stick" welder, an oxy/acetylene welder and a "plastic welder.

I've retired from the phone company after more than 30 years. I have a degree in Civil Engineering and do all my own work on our vehicles, house, tractors, fences and what'all.

I look forward to reading, learning and maybe even one day, helping someone in return for all I hope to be gaining from this group.

Regards,
    Kubota8540

tell me (us) about your plastic welder Kubota. I have a m/c fairing in need of some lovin and ive been thinking about adding a setup to the shop. Never hurts to increase your ability base.

Thanks in advance and welcome aboard!
    Will it weld? I loooove electricity!

Miller 251/30A spool
    Syncro200
    Spectrum 625
    O/A
    Precix 5x10 CNC Router12"Z
    Standard modern lathe
    Cheap Chinese mill that does the trick... sort of...
    horizontal 7x12 bandsaw
    Roland XC540 PRO III
    54" laminator
    hammer and screwdriver (most used)
    little dog
    pooper scooper (2nd most used...)

Post Plastic Welder

dHi Signwave,

The Plastic Welder is called a "ThermoPlastic Welder" and is made by Pamran Elec. Co in New Jersey. It welds ABS,PVC, PE,PP and TPUP. The inital cost for the starter kit is around $180.00.
    I'ts essentially a heat gun with a smaller nozzle, filler feeder and whatever other accessories you desire. I installed a PVC fence around our pasture for the horses and used it to weld the joints on the gates I made. So far they've held up well.
    After you "weld", you have to let it sit for 24 hours before putting maximum stress on the joint. If I use the word "vulcanizing" as it refers to rubber, this is doing the same thing only to the plastic.
    Here is their website if you're interested: www.pamran.com/

Regards,
    Kubota8540

Thanks Kubota. Im gonna get me one of those! For some reason i thought they were more expensive than that. Musta been the guy at the motorcycle shop trying to protect his income...

Miller 251/30A spool
    Syncro200
    Spectrum 625
    O/A
    Standard modern lathe
    horizontal 7x12 bandsaw
    Roland XC540 PRO III
    54" laminator
    little dog

That plastic welding does look interesting. The only trouble I see is keeping the base plastic and the rod at the right temperatures so you get an even melting process for a smooth finish. I imagine its a lot harder than they say on the web site, at least until you catch onto it.

Would be a good side to get into though, not many plastic welders around. Like I read in another post, we are getting into a throw away world and buying new. Right now the economy is slow, money is tight, repair the product at half the cost of a new one.
    Ken

What else is there besides welding and riding. Besides that

Miller Thunderbolt XL 300/200 AC/DC
    Hobart Handler 187
    Dewalt Chop Saw
    4" Air Grinder
    Die Grinder
    Rigid Drill Press
    Kellogg 10hp Air Compressor

2009 FXDC

Wink Kubota8540

Ken,
    You're correct, it's not as easy as one might think. The base material has to actually draw the fill material into it. Keeping the base at the correct temperature without "puddling" is a challenge.
    The "High Speed Tip" is a must if you do extensive joints as I did on the gates. It's also expensive for the little thing you get. I also noticed that the welder has increased 33% since I bought mine.
    The only other thing to be careful of is to match the filler with the base. There are 5 types of filler rods to match the material being repaired.

Default Kubota

Quote Originally Posted by Kubota8540 View Post
    dHi Signwave,

The Plastic Welder is called a "ThermoPlastic Welder" and is made by Pamran Elec. Co in New Jersey. It welds ABS,PVC, PE,PP and TPUP. The inital cost for the starter kit is around $180.00.
    I'ts essentially a heat gun with a smaller nozzle, filler feeder and whatever other accessories you desire. I installed a PVC fence around our pasture for the horses and used it to weld the joints on the gates I made. So far they've held up well.
    After you "weld", you have to let it sit for 24 hours before putting maximum stress on the joint. If I use the word "vulcanizing" as it refers to rubber, this is doing the same thing only to the plastic.
    Here is their website if you're interested: www.pamran.com/

Regards,
    Kubota8540
    Wow, first ive seeen on here,Ive been welding Koraseal for 25+ years,,Its a flexable pvc,thats used in the chrome plating industrie,,Ive been using a Kam weld welder,same thing electric,and air,approx 4 pounds,I run a 950 degree heating element,,also have done alot of Poly pro,pvc,all for tanks,,,Nice to see another plastic welder,Jack

Thats cool never done that "plastic welding". Is there a way to tell which plastic your repairing besides getting info from manufactor? Any character or obvious differences in them
    Scott
    HMW [Heavy Metal welding]

Cool

good to have you with us.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Quote Originally Posted by HMW View Post
    Thats cool never done that "plastic welding". Is there a way to tell which plastic your repairing besides getting info from manufactor? Any character or obvious differences in them
    there are many differences.
    some that i know off hand are:
    polycarbonate= (lexan)pop bottles, peanut butter containers. usually a clear plastic with high tenslie strength. will "shatter" if hit hard enough.
    polyethelyne= milk jugs plastic usually feel "slippery" to the touch may be any color chosen. it is wudely used in many applications from buckets and pails to ivory soap dishsoap containers... etc.. very flexible, resilient but will shatter (split and crack) if hit hard enough due to shock.
    ABS= black plastic plumbing pipe, computer cases, motorcycle fairings, most toys and a number of other objcts. it is fairly ridgid and somewhat flexible. IOIt will deform on impact or deformation. Cannot be fitted back together without some reshaping.. (the plastic from h e l l ) very good candidate for welding.
    nylon= the "super plastic" flexible, durable, strong, it can be used as bearing material on some applications. it is used for insultion on wire, it is used in parts for R/C models. repairable and can be pricy for raw product.

there are a ton of ohters. each has its use and properties.

Check out the dupont web site for more info or simply search out plastic on the www.
    hope this helps you a little.

Miller 251/30A spool
    Syncro200
    Spectrum 625
    O/A
    Standard modern lathe
    horizontal 7x12 bandsaw
    Roland XC540 PRO III
    54" laminator
    little dog