Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default argon flow setting

When I went to school for tig welding my instructors had me use nothing but a gas lense. I am now in a situation where I need to use a standard body non gas lense. Will it require less cfh. I normally use around 12 to 15 cfh with the gas lense.

Try it at 12 to 15, then kick it up a little. The gas lense is great for pulling your tungsten out more than normal, as well as the other benefits.

A more needle like tungsten grind helps as well.
    Nothing welded, Nothing gained

Miller Dynasty700DX
    3 ea. Miller Dynasty350DX
    Miller Dynasty200DX
    ThermalArc 400 GTSW
    MillerMatic350P
    MillerMatic200 with spoolgun
    MKCobraMig260
    Lincoln SP-170T
    Linde UCC305 (sold 2011)
    Hypertherm 1250
    Hypertherm 800
    PlasmaCam CNC cutter
    Fadal Toolroom CNC Mill
    SiberHegner CNC Mill
    2 ea. Bridgeport
    LeBlond 15" Lathe
    Haberle 18" Cold Saw
    Doringer 14" Cold Saw
    6 foot x 12 foot Mojave granite

We run ours at 30. Although I've seen a lot of posts that use 25.

I run between 10-20 depending. For a non gas lens setup 15-20 will be fine. Much more and you can start to pull oxygen into the weld area.

-Dan
    Owner
    DW Metalworks LLC
    Miller Trailblazer 302
    Miller 8RC Feeder
    Miller Passport Plus
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX W/Coolmate 1
    Hobart Handler 135
    Hypertherm PowerMAX 30
    Smith O/A Torch Set
    Plus more tools then my wife will ever know about....

Quote Originally Posted by striker12300 View Post
    I would rethink 25 to 30 cfh. It takes a good amount of energy to produce your argon, and that means money. I just put a gas lense on my DX200 with air cooled torch and pulled my gas flow down to 10cfh. Otherwise I was running a 12 to 15 cfh with the standard collet body.

At work, We run maximum 20 cfh on our 4 Dynasty 350s, welding 1" to 1" alum plate and bar, and #8 cups. Only do I run 25cfh on my CobraMig and MillerMatic 350P, both using alum wire.

Miller Dynasty700DX
    Miller Dynasty200DX
    ThermalArc 400 GTSW
    MillerMatic350P
    MKCobraMig260
    Lincoln SP-170T
    Linde UCC305 (sold 2011)
    Hypertherm 1250
    Hypertherm 800
    PlasmaCam CNC cutter
    Fadal Toolroom CNC Mill
    SiberHegner CNC Mill
    2 ea. Bridgeport
    LeBlond 15" Lathe
    Haberle 18" Cold Saw
    Doringer 14" Cold Saw

1. Your "instructor" should have taught you how to determine your optimal flow rate. Don't know how you expect anyone else to tell you where to set your flow rate. Depends on the situation.

2. Some posters must either work for the "gas supplier" or don't know jack about tig welding. Too much gas flow can be just as bad or worse than not enough.

Depending on cup size, stickout, etc keep dropping your flow rate by about 2CFH until you start to see porosity in your "test bead". Bump it back up till the porosity disappears. That's your base. I normally run about 3-5CFH higher than my base.

Using helium or a helium/argon mix is going to require a much higher flow rate due to the specific gravity (lighter than air) of the He.
    Syncrowave 250 DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200 DX
    Miller XMT 304 w/714D Feeder & Optima Control
    Miller MM 251 w/Q300 & 30A SG
    Hobart HH187
    Dialarc 250 AC/DC
    Hypertherm PM 600 & 1250
    Wilton 7"x12" bandsaw
    PC Dry Cut Saw, Dewalt Chop Saw
    Milwaukee 8" Metal Cut Saw, Milwaukee Portaband.
    Thermco and Smith (2) Gas Mixers
    More grinders than hands

Quote Originally Posted by striker12300 View Post
    On TIG? That sounds like numbers usually reserved for MIG.

For steel you can get away with less flow. With aluminum I dial in 5 cfh more.

#7-#8 cup just about 15 for steel - maybe as high as 22 for aluminum.

#5-#6 is more like 12 cfh for steel - right in the middle between 15-20 for aluminum.

You can of course get even larger cups, just need to adjust flow accordingly. Miller does have on-line calculator that will give you a starting point to try.

For non gas lens, use the same flow numbers, just remember to keep the tungsten stickout less than the nozzle diameter. #8 cup is 8/16ths of an inch or 1/2 inch. The less stickout the better.

I try to use #7 cup for aluminum (I actually don't have a #8 right now) and #6 for steel. I have #4 and #5's available but they pretty much look brand spanking new.

For each tungsten I have the normal, non gas lens collets and holders. I hardly ever use them. I have one use for them and it has to do with burning off zinc where I can't grind - the spatter would (and has) destroyed a gas lens (at least the outer screen).

I had an older torch that you couldn't buy a lens for, replaced it pretty much as soon as I found out about gas lenses.
    Con Fuse!
    Miller Dynasty 350
    Millermatic 350P
    -Spoolmatic 30A

Hypertherm PowerMax 1000G3
    Miller Multimatic 200 - awesome portable MIG (and stick and TIG)
    Miller Maxstar 200DX - portable TIG and stick

Quote Originally Posted by SundownIII View Post
    1. Your "instructor" should have taught you how to determine your optimal flow rate. Don't know how you expect anyone else to tell you where to set your flow rate. Depends on the situation.

2. Some posters must either work for the "gas supplier" or don't know jack about tig welding. Too much gas flow can be just as bad or worse than not enough.

Depending on cup size, stickout, etc keep dropping your flow rate by about 2CFH until you start to see porosity in your "test bead". Bump it back up till the porosity disappears. That's your base. I normally run about 3-5CFH higher than my base.

Using helium or a helium/argon mix is going to require a much higher flow rate due to the specific gravity (lighter than air) of the He.
    Man, that was perfectly stated.

Miller Dynasty700DX
    Miller Dynasty200DX
    ThermalArc 400 GTSW
    MillerMatic350P
    MKCobraMig260
    Lincoln SP-170T
    Linde UCC305 (sold 2011)
    Hypertherm 1250
    Hypertherm 800
    PlasmaCam CNC cutter
    Fadal Toolroom CNC Mill
    SiberHegner CNC Mill
    2 ea. Bridgeport
    LeBlond 15" Lathe
    Haberle 18" Cold Saw
    Doringer 14" Cold Saw

Hey SUNDOWN I am still sort of a noob when it comes to tig welding. Sorry I wasn't born with a tig torch in my mouth. I wasn't looking for exact numbers just some info from people more experienced than me. Oh and just for you I did figure out my situation on my own. I have no control over what I am taught if I did i never would have gone to school. OH and by the way GO **** YOURSELF!! I get where you are coming from I just fel sorry for the other people who could benifit from your vast knowledge but you feel they are leeches of the system too lazy to figure it out for themselves. If it was easy everyone would do it. RIGHT?

I use about 5 cfh, gas lens, #4 cup, 14 to 33 amps average purged at about 2 cfh on the steel tuned exhaust pipes I make.
    I used 10 to 12 cfh, 48 amps dc #6 cup gas lens, purged at 5 cfh when I was welding stainless tube in the dairies.

More gas flow isnt necessarily good as stated above.

I will try to post pics of the pipe fitting .062 steel coupler to .022 steel tube, butt welded and purged.

They are grey in color but 100% penetration, no porosity using the 5 cfh setting above.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by popspipes; 08-30-2010 at 10:37 PM.
    mike sr