Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: tig help

Default tig help

I have been learning to tig on both steel and aluminum. My aluminum welds are looking very good, my problem is with steel. The welds are a dull gray color and porous. I am using a 180sd, thoriated, and the steel was ground and cleaned. I am practicing on 3/16" plate.

Tell us more. Amps, gas flow, etc.
    Then we can help
    Live Right Have Fun

XMT350 CV/CC
    22A Feeder
    MM175
    Dynasty 200DX
    TB302
    12vs Extreme
    Hypertherm PowerMax 1000
    20" x 40" CNC Mills (2)
    16" x 60" engine lathe
    65 Ton edwards iron worker
    3/16' x 24" power slip roll
    16' power feed mitering bandsaw
    and other fun toys

I have tried many different amp settings from too hot to too cold and the result is the same. The gas flow is about 15. The gas flow is the same as I use when doing the aluminum. The rod is ER70S2. Thank you

Are you welding in the same conditions when using either steel or aluminum? The same joint in the same position? No wind or fan blowing on the work when doing the TIG on the steel? Also, aluminum and steel should usually be done with different gasses..... Remembering to switch to DC when doing steel from the AC used for aluminum? Just thought I would throw those out there in case......
    Don J
    Reno, NV

Never pick a fight with an old guy. Old guys are too smart to fight and get hurt. They'll just kill you and get it over with.

Quote Originally Posted by dondlhmn View Post
    Also, aluminum and steel should usually be done with different gasses
    Really? I thought straight argon was good for both.

I am using ac for aluminum and dcen for steel. Same gas for both, 100% argon, same flow. Like I said my aluminum welds are looking very good but the steel is not. No joints just practicing on flat material. Same conditions, welding inside garage no wind. I was thinking maybe not enough gas flow, but if that was the case, wouldnt that effect the aluminum more?

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Helios View Post
    Really? I thought straight argon was good for both.
    I didn't say that some people DON'T use the same gas. I said that USUALLY folks use different gases for different metals (ESPECIALLY true for MIG) because they don't want to waste money and they want to get the best possible result when they weld. Some guys always want to argue about anything they can, but it doesn't mean they are always (or even sometimes) right.

If you think otherwise, have a look at the guidelines for gas use that Miller publishes for TIG. If that doesn't do it, try looking at the webistes for various gas providers. Maybe even do further research and/or reading in other publications.
    Last edited by dondlhmn; 08-25-2010 at 01:23 PM.
    Don J
    Reno, NV

Never pick a fight with an old guy. Old guys are too smart to fight and get hurt. They'll just kill you and get it over with.

Try using a gas lens for your steel and SS, you will be amazed at the difference.
    Obviously, I'm just a hack-artist, you shouldn't be listening to anything I say .....

Quote Originally Posted by dondlhmn View Post
    I didn't say that some people DON'T use the same gas. I said that USUALLY folks use different gases for different metals (also true for MIG) because they don't want to waste money and they want to get the best possible result when they weld. Some guys always want to argue about anything they can, but it doesn't mean they are always (or even sometimes) right.
    ALL tig must be done with inert gases, which means either argon or helium. NO CO2, or O2 can be in the mix. Different from mig, where you usually need a little reactive gas in the mix for steel and SS.
    Obviously, I'm just a hack-artist, you shouldn't be listening to anything I say .....

you need to use the force luke, become one with the puddle, be the puddle, Nana nana nanananaanananaaaa
    Anything you could do, I could do better.
    I can do anything better than you!
    Lockheed Martin
    Armco Steel, Baltimore
    USW local #3185