Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default is there a 1'' hole saw

I'm in the process of building a go kart and according to my plans "must'' cut a perfect 1'' hole in 1'' erw tubing for the steering system. My 1''-1/8th hole saw is to big and of course the 7/8 to small. Does anyone make a 1'' hole saw and if so where might I purchase one. Thanks ken

Every company that makes hole saws makes a 1" hole saw. You can buy themjust about anywhere, home depot for example.
    Miller syncrowave 200 runner with coolmate 4
    and wp2025 weldcraft torch
    Miller 125c plasma cutter

Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

Quote Originally Posted by eschuen View Post
    I'm in the process of building a go kart and according to my plans "must'' cut a perfect 1'' hole in 1'' erw tubing for the steering system. My 1''-1/8th hole saw is to big and of course the 7/8 to small. Does anyone make a 1'' hole saw and if so where might I purchase one. Thanks ken
    You can surely get a 1" hole saw, but I doubt you would get a "perfect" hole with one. Maybe you are better off drilling with the 7/8" one and file fitting the rest.
    Miller Syncrowave 200
    Homemade Water Cooler
    130XP MIG
    Spectrum 375
    60 year old Logan Lathe
    Select Machine and Tool Mill
    More stuff than I can keep track of..

You can even get a 25mm metric which would be a couple hundredths under in a perfect world. But like has already been mentioned, no hardware store hole saw is going to give you anything close to "perfect" if perfect is really necessary.

Probably more expense than you would be willing to spend but have you looked at the Hougen or Blair cutters? Very clean and efficient cutters for nice round holes.

If it needs to be a perfect 1"hole bring it to a machine shop and have it milled undersized and reamed to 1".
    Miller syncrowave 200 runner with coolmate 4
    and wp2025 weldcraft torch
    Miller 125c plasma cutter

Dumb question here? Your hole size equals the tubing diameter your drilling through. So in essence youíre cutting the tubing for a fish mouth for another tube to pass through. If this is the case I use the holesaw of the same diameter as the tubing. Itís a good fit up may not be perfect but it works. I have used this for years for horse corrals.

Heck, I have a 6 inch whole saw.

I don't know if this would be helpful, but when I wanted a perfect hole that was just a tiny bit under the diameter of a standard hole saw size, I ground down the "set" of the teeth by mounting a Dremel tool in a lathe tool post (with pipe straps) and running the hole saw in the chuck. The ground hole saw also made a cleaner hole than the original would have. Of course this won't work for all size holes.