Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Last summer I replaced a Lincoln Tig 300/300 (transformer) with a Lincoln Precision Tig 275 (inverter). IMO, as a tig machine, it's has much better arc stability, especially at low amperage, than the transformer machine. I've not tried DC stick with it, and probably won't since I use it only for tig work.

So many choices, I want em all....
    Scott
    HMW [Heavy Metal welding]

It would be inverter for me anymore too, especially in home/small shops the power considerations are a huge factor and on alum they are hard to beat.

Default transformer vs inverter

I'd personally go with whatever you like. Some people like a big box. I love the dx250..looks good at Christmas and welds great. Others swear the 304 is the way to go. I'd take one. One thing about a big box is, its easy to mount a 22a wire feeder on top if you deside to run some mig. If mig isnt a consideration..then get what looks good..you'll be debating for years which is better..peace

Quote Originally Posted by al1213 View Post
    You should try a Lincoln Invertec V350. You'd be amazed how well this inverter does stick welding. The best I have used yet.
    i have many hours on the invertec 350, they are a good machine, just not so good when you get into bigger rods like 3/16 and 1/4, ive always had trouble keeping them lit on the inverter machines, including the invertec 350
    mm210
    maxstar 150

Default Just picked up

I just picked up a Invertec 350 pro,and a ln 25 feeder,,from 2 seperate people,I who cant stand mig,have 40 frames 7 ft x 20 ft,6 x6 x 1/2 tubing,wont have time for the over head crane,so 2 jibs a nice clark 6500# fork truck from Pratt and whitney,Shucks,its a 89,and needed a new key swith,and a ballast resistor,So with there ,OPPS(Our Money) Way to old to repair,after they just went thru truck,some things wear out,as we do!!!!,Poof sold 2100 bucks. auto,cab,heat,AND A SEAT BELT!,Gov work.,,Air tire,cant spell pnematic,and a nice 18000# mini excavator,rubber track.

The guy with the feeder threw in 3 rolls of 1/16 inner shield,Just temp hooked it up,the Invertec will be hard wired,and the feeder on a cart Buddy of mine that owed a few bucks,droped off 200 ft in 25 ft lenghts ,with the lenco conectors on should work out nice!,WOW,will that sucker weld,Coming out of the dark ages is nice!!!!!!!

The ellis cuts great 45's, and leave a nice full corner weld,should have some pics with in the month,But that sucker will burn thru seeems like 1" plate,Made a Mig Liker out of a old stick man,and hardly any flipping,Cust picks up 10 at a time,Mini excavator sure comes in handy for loading,then they go,some place,get blasted,and some epoxy coating,Then Mounted in Down town Hartford,Ct.

That ought to be fun for the crane co,to shut down roads,as there also all threaded with a sign on! for the best word for a sign co!A Take off of the old Colt Building,which are being turned into Luxury condos,Yep,right on 91 is where i would want to plunk down a BIG pc of changeAnd there selling!

Cant believe how nice the invertec runs stick,Havent tried 1/4 yet,HMW,I found the Lincoln rod ran fantastic!!!!,,Sorry for the rant,Jack,and have plat form almost made for spraying the house Barn yard red in the spring,to match the shop,The color I wanted from day 1,so to keep the now ex to shut up,went with grey,,its a timber frame,should be barn red,,But looks like a reg. colonial from outside!,,Sorry done now!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Storts,

Man, you got to get off the drugs.

I'm sure there was some good info in that posting, I just couldn't figure out what you said.

Quote Originally Posted by SundownIII View Post
    Storts,

I'm sure there was some good info in that posting, I just couldn't figure out what you said.

LOL....ha ha ha

I do like the excavator though. I cant tell, did you buy it or sell it??
    Scott
    HMW [Heavy Metal welding]

Default Which is it?

Quote Originally Posted by SundownIII View Post
    Storts,

Is the excavator a: invertor or transformer?

Just having fun..

TacMig
    We depend On:
    Miller | Esab | Lincoln | Fronius
    Baileigh | Drake | Eagle | Knuth
    Victor | Harris | Smith | Bessey
    Snap-On | Hilti | Ingersoll Rand
    Burco/Koco | Onan | BobCat
    Tracker | Infratrol | AmeriCast

We belong to or support:
    American National Standards Institute
    American Welding Society
    The Welding Institute
    Fabricators & Manufacturing Association Int'l.

Anderson & Co. LLC
    Metal Cr
    afters

Default transformer or inverter?

Thanks for the input. the inverter I was considering for my garage was the Dynasty 350. Only reason being is I do LOTS of tig and would like the option to weld heavier stuff[1/4 alum pipe to 1/4 plate] In my experience I would need this machine for the output or face having to use a smaller one[dyn 300 or so on.] and having to have it " pinned " and sit there for ever to preheat. Not especially cost or time effective.

trans machine doesn't seem to be an option for the sake of space, power consumption, portability, or even re-saleability.

I really appreciate all feed back on this, thanks guys. And gals

Not overly sold on the idea of buying used. Notorious bad luck has taught me not to bother with used stuff. Theres no way to know how that machine was actually treated.