Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default fish mouthing round pipe

guys, what do you use to fish mouth round pipe that will be welded together ?
    is there a tool you can bring to the job site ?
    i have seen it done on a milling machine, (seems too time consuming, and i dont have a mill), and seen those jigs that are held in a vise and you hook up a drill and hole saw to, but that seems a little time consuming also.
    just curious what you guys are using ?
    Syncrowave® 200
    Lincoln AC/DC 225/125
    Lincoln Weld Pak 100 wire feed

I've done it a few ways.

If you have a piece of small tube the same size, and its a straight up 90, you could just grab a grinder, and go to town. Finish with a half round file. Thats the quick and dirty...not always the best joint, but works in a pinch.

You could also use a JD2 or similar hole saw jig. The angles are much easier to make, and it really isnt that bad when it comes to time. Use some good tap cutting oil, and it'll work pretty well. Just dont load up the hole saw...I've sheared all the teeth off of one in less than 10 seconds, and that was a starrett.

They also make one that does a mechanical cut, not sure what size tube you're working with, so that may not be an option.

If you only had 1 or 2 to do, and fitment doesnt need to be dead nuts perfect, the grinder would be the quick and easy way IMO, if you dont want to spend the money on another tool.

If you had odd angles, or you had a long cut list, I'd be all over the hole saw or another option.
    Precision is only as important as the project...if you're building a rocket ship...1/64" would matter. If you're building a sledgehammer...an 1/8" probably wont.

Quote Originally Posted by FABMAN View Post
    guys, what do you use to fish mouth round pipe that will be welded together ?
    is there a tool you can bring to the job site ?
    i have seen it done on a milling machine, (seems too time consuming, and i dont have a mill), and seen those jigs that are held in a vise and you hook up a drill and hole saw to, but that seems a little time consuming also.
    just curious what you guys are using ?
    I would say you might do some research on this in the welding discussions side, we have had many threads on this and there are pics out there as well.
    Using a chop saw is about as fast as anything once you get the hang of it. You can generally make 1 or 2 cuts and get an excellent fit with some finesse.
    Also the type of material and size would make a huge difference in your methods.
    Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
    MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT
    Miller 30-A Spoolgun
    Miller WC-115-A
    Miller Spectrum 300
    Miller Spoolmate 200
    Miller 225 Thunderbolt
    SPEEDGLAS 9100XX

if you are patient, do what on fire suggested and take it 1 step further, go to a craft store and pick up a sheet of magnetic sign material, cut a small rectangular piece, make it wrap around the joint that you just prepared, trace out and cut the magnetic stuff to match what you have done with the pipe, take a marker and label it, you have just made a template for the next joint, and it will stick on your tool box for future use, if you do alot of pipe, it wont take long to build i nice set of templates, time consuming to make, quick to use and almost free

Or you could do it the old fashioned way. Some people use adding machine paper, I like 1/32 inch gasket material. These old arthritic hands have a hard time working with adding machine paper. You can buy a pipe fitters book to get these charts.

Caution!
    These are "my" views based only on “my” experiences in “my” little bitty world.

Last four.

Caution!
    These are "my" views based only on “my” experiences in “my” little bitty world.

There are lots of ways to notch pipe, almost as many ways to do it as there are threads here on doing it.

Here's something I shared with the high school kids the last time I visited.

Place a framing or speed square against the side of the pipe with the pipe on a flat surface. Measure the distance from the edge of the pipe to the square. Cut that measurement out of the end of the pipe. We're talking a side to side arc with the deepest part of the cut matching that measurement. Turn the pipe over and do the same thing on the opposite side.

Most of us that have done it more than a hundred times or so just make the cuts and it fits without measuring. As has been pointed out before the need for a fit depends upon the application.

The angle cuts can be challenging. One of the interesting things I discovered was one of the more common cuts I'm called upon to do involves handrails down stairs. It turns out the perfect cut is really simple. It's basically approximately a thirty degree cut starting in the middle of the end of the pipe.

I do a lot of pipe fence that's galvanized so a torch is out of the question, too messy and too many fumes etc and so on. So I use pipe notchers like the Vogel or Williams Low Buck, I have both or I use a portaband band saw.

wow guys, thanks for all the helpful info. i now have several ideas and can go from here.
    again, thanks
    Syncrowave® 200
    Lincoln AC/DC 225/125
    Lincoln Weld Pak 100 wire feed

Google tube miter. It's a program for your pc. You enter the pipe size info and it prints a line on the paper. Cut it out and wrap it on the pipe, lay ot out and cut it. It worked pretty good for me. If i did a lot of it i would look into a pipe master set. They are nice.
    Mike
    MD Welding & Fabricating L.L.C.
    mdwelding@sbcglobal.net

We have a simple tube notcher we use at work that mounts on the table. This is as simple as it gets and very effective. Very nice tool for making round handrails or equipment guards.
    Lincoln Idealarc 250 stick/tig
    Century Mig
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52
    Torchmate CNC table

Owner/Operator Devlin Metal Works
    Custom CNC Plasma Cutting and Welding