Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default 14 pin connector

I am trying to figure out what to use for a gas valve on my little miller inverter cst280. I have had it for about a year now, and I just emptied my third bottle of argon to atmosphere because I was stupid enough to forget to turn off the valve on the tig torch head... My question: is there an output on the 14 pin connector that I could rig a solenoid valve to to turn my gas on and off? I realize that I would have no post flow gas, but I think that I can use a timed relay for that. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

I just happened to think about my Dynasty sitting in the shop back home. Haven't seen it in a few months, but I'm sure the bottle is on, and the machine is plugged in, as I always forget to close the shop up correctly. I suppose I should call my sister and have her help me out, wait, she might actually burn that bottle of argon up playing with my nice shop toy, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by james_martin_50 View Post
    I am trying to figure out what to use for a gas valve on my little miller inverter cst280. I have had it for about a year now, and I just emptied my third bottle of argon to atmosphere because I was stupid enough to forget to turn off the valve on the tig torch head... My question: is there an output on the 14 pin connector that I could rig a solenoid valve to to turn my gas on and off? I realize that I would have no post flow gas, but I think that I can use a timed relay for that. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
    I don't know about your welder, so I'm no help there. I have a hand full of bottles and an air compressor in my shop. When I turn any of them on, I try to remember to turn on a little night light I have plugged into the wall. When I'm shutting down the shop and I've turned off all the lights and I'm about to shut the door, I notice the little night light. That is enough to remind me that I have a bottle with an open valve.

If that doesn't remind me of the open bottle, I just go around and check them all.

All I can say is that it's cheap and if you remember to turn it on, it works pretty well.

Default saving argon

Hi james_martin_50,

I have done the same thing and I have a 336 cu ft tank of argon so it gets expensive.

After I wasted a full tank, I did a little experiment to see how much leakage there was in my run from the tank to the Dynasty.

I have an Airco (Concoa) 806-9474 regulator-flowmeter with a "Y" fitting feeding 2 hoses.

If I need to back purge, I use the A hose and the B hose. Otherwise, I use the B hose which is connected to the Dynasty.

Both A and B hoses have a shut-off valve built into the "Y" so I close the A valve
    when I am tigging without back purging.

After my dumb mistake, here is what I did to see where the leakage was.

1 - I closed both A and B valves and then closed the cylinder valve.
    (Approx 2200 PSI showing on the gauge.)

2 - Then I backed out the regulator-flowmeter adjustment handle fully and watched the gauge. Took about 6 minutes to drop to zero.

So even with the 2 valves closed, and in theory no gas could pass, I still had some leakage.
    I am guessing this loss is thru the diaphrams in the regulator-flowmeter.
    So there appears to be a "leak" even with the valves closed.

(2 questions for those using helium - since helium is a smaller molecule, are the diaphrams in the helium regulators made from a "tighter" material?

Have you noticed this leakage problem?)

My suggestion (and what I do now) like jworman"s system is to use a reminder device.

I got a couple of battery powered LED bicycle flashers from my local dollar store.

Keep one on top of the argon tank valve. When I need to tig, I turn on the flasher.
    Hard to miss when I shut down.

If you really want to install a solenoid valve, I would put it "upstream" of the regulator and it could get expensive finding one rated for 2600 psi.

good luck
    Thermal Arc GTSW400, Airco Heliwelder II, Miller Dynasty 350, Hypertherm 1000, oxy-fuel setup, metal cutting bandsaw, air compressor, drill press, etc.:

Call me the "Clouseau" of welding !

C'mon boys... For a welder, forgetting to turn your gas off at the end of the day is like forgetting to wipe your *ss after you poop.

Having said that, the best way to avoid a potentially expensive (not to mention embarrasing) mistake is to soap test all of your fittings after you install a new bottle.

As for forgetting to turn the gas valve off at the torch-- you would think that the "hissing" sound would be a gentle reminder....
    Big Blue 400D
    Trailblazer 302
    Miller S-32 suitcase
    12VS suitcase
    Lincoln LN-7 (BIG suitcase)
    Victor torches
    Lincoln 350MP with 35' push-pull gun
    Lincoln PrecisionTIG 375
    Spectrum 1000 plasma cutter