Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by SundownIII View Post
    And there folks we have the difference between a professional and a hack.
    It all depends what the customer wants. If the customer doesn't have much money to spend and wants a hack job that what we'll produce and if the customer wants a job that looks like new then you have to figure out if it's no cheaper to replace with new.
    We've got some 3/8" aluminium plate at the shop. I bet I can cut a fin out of it very quick, cut the left over square flat, on the existing, V-up the end of the 3/8" plate and welded on, smooth the edges for less resistance on the fin in a 2 hours max. At $ 85.00 an hour plus materials I think it's fair for a quote.
    And I always say to the customer, """ give and take """

But put a replacement skeg on this leg done professionally, 1 or 1.5 hours max
    Last edited by Daniel; 08-19-2010 at 03:15 PM.

Done 4 or 5 of them so far this summer-- for outboards up to about 110 size I charge a flat rate-- $200. For bigger motors, the price goes up because I end up using more/thicker material. Just did a 90 horse evinrude and 1/4" worked great. Doubled V-groove with TIG root and MIG fill and cap. 10 min. with a grinder and 10 min.with a sanding disc to "pretty it up" and I haven't had any complaints yet.

1.5 - 2 hrs @ $90 plus a little bit for material= $200 flat rate
    Big Blue 400D
    Trailblazer 302
    Miller S-32 suitcase
    12VS suitcase
    Lincoln LN-7 (BIG suitcase)
    Victor torches
    Lincoln 350MP with 35' push-pull gun
    Lincoln PrecisionTIG 375
    Spectrum 1000 plasma cutter

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by wronghand View Post
    Done 4 or 5 of them so far this summer-- for outboards up to about 110 size I charge a flat rate-- $200. For bigger motors, the price goes up because I end up using more/thicker material. Just did a 90 horse evinrude and 1/4" worked great. Doubled V-groove with TIG root and MIG fill and cap. 10 min. with a grinder and 10 min.with a sanding disc to "pretty it up" and I haven't had any complaints yet.

1.5 - 2 hrs @ $90 plus a little bit for material= $200 flat rate
    I wish, we would have a tig at the shop for some of the root we have to do. I have to use the mig for everything aluminium. I had this guy come over with and old 12 ' boat that was leaking from the front bow, where it always touch ground when it gets beached. I used a 1/4" X 1" 6061 FB, I clean the boat for welding cut the 18 " FB to match the width of the repair and mig the piece in place, concentrating all the heat on the flat bar and back stepping.
    Did the fix and grind the repair smooth, 45 minutes I was done.

I ended up buying a replacement skeg. I know I could've made it but I've never used a bought skeg so I took Fusions advice and saved myself some work. Got it welded on tonite will wait til tomorrow and do my clean-up. It welded great as both pieces were good aluminum. I turned my hertz way down from what I normally run the Dynasty on and man oh man how sweet it welded.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dynasty 200DX "Blue Lightning"
    Bernard 3500ss water-cooler
    Rockwell vertical mill
    Beverly Shear B-3
    Beverly Shear JR
    Home-made English wheel
    Milwaukee Porta-band
    " Sawz-all
    Tennsmith 36" stomp shear
    Fixer upper 1968 Redface Lincoln sa200
    Powcon 300st

A few more pics. Btw it took me about 2 1/2 hours so far minus clean-up but you guys must realize that this is what a bored Boilermaker does for fun and beer money so I'm not killing myself here[notice the Sam Adams in one pic and my Birkenstocks in another]. It sure is nice to work at your own pace with no peckerheads breathing down your neck. Btw I charged a mere $240 for this "hack" job.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Showdog75; 08-19-2010 at 08:04 PM.
    Rockwell vertical mill
    Beverly Shear B-3
    Beverly Shear JR
    Home-made English wheel
    Milwaukee Porta-band
    " Sawz-all
    Powcon 300st

Looks good..what did the replacement skeg cost? I'd be interested to know how much time you have in the job when you finish...Thanks for the pics...

The replacement is a Skeg Depot and I bought it at a local prop shop for $35. Minus grind/blend I've got about 2 1/2 hours in this. 30 minutes tops for clean-up.
    Rockwell vertical mill
    Beverly Shear B-3
    Beverly Shear JR
    Home-made English wheel
    Milwaukee Porta-band
    " Sawz-all
    Powcon 300st

That's looking really good. How thick the replacement skeg is?
    Looks like your pretty good at hacking
    Last edited by Daniel; 08-19-2010 at 08:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
    That's looking really good. How thick the replacement skeg is?
    Looks like your pretty good at hacking
    At the top it's 3/8" and it tapers down at all sides.
    Rockwell vertical mill
    Beverly Shear B-3
    Beverly Shear JR
    Home-made English wheel
    Milwaukee Porta-band
    " Sawz-all
    Powcon 300st

Thumbs up Good work

I believe you are doing a fine job
    Keep it up!!
    It's nice to see you getting more of this type of work.
    If you ever was to leave your day job I'm sure you would do plenty fine on your own.
    Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
    MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT
    Miller 30-A Spoolgun
    Miller WC-115-A
    Miller Spectrum 300
    Miller Spoolmate 200
    Miller 225 Thunderbolt
    SPEEDGLAS 9100XX