Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Hybrid View

Default Beverage Holder.....Jigging for Production...

Hey guys,
    Here's another installment of "How To" for those newbies/youngsters who are entering the fabrication arena & need to produce multiple parts with "repetitive consistency". I find jig building is a necessity for anyone who needs/wants to produce more than 3-4 items the same or who wants to produce many items for sale. Easy projects like this can be quite lucrative once you can establish your cost for material & the time-per-piece so as to set a price to maintain a decent profit.

I had a customer call last week & wanted these beverage holders made to his specs, not the size available on the market(& not made in China). He wanted more height & a good strong all-steel welded unit. He sent me some pics of what is available on the market & pricing & the sizes made. I looked at the design, cost, & if I could produce these & make a profit. After getting pricing from my metal supplier, I started to cut material in bulk amounts keeping track of time & quantities I could produce. The 3/8" HR rods I could cut (6) at a time on my dry cut saw, the 1" X 1/8" flat stock I could cut & drill (10) pieces at a time. I had to cut the 3/8"W rings from a piece of 4"D X 5'L pipe & I had it leftover from a job so no cost there. I used some leftover 1 1/2"sq tubing that was lying under the workbench to construct the jig.

The bev. holder pieces were:
    1) 52"L of 3/8"HR rod.....bent to configure the handle & ground to a semi-point
    2) 6"L " " " "...... bent at 3" to 90* w/semi-point
    3) 8"L X 1" X 1/8" flat stock center drilled W/3/8" hole.
    4) 4"dia. tube rings cut 3/8"W & 1/2" removed to get finish diameter of 3.5"
    5) 1.5"W X 3"L X 1/8" flat stock for a clip-on/magnetic score card

The jig was assembled by laying the long rod on the base piece to determine height configuration supports to have components centered for welding. It worked out quite nicely & I only had to cut a ring slot in the horizontal base support to hold the rings C/L to weld to the rod at the cut on the ring. Once I had everything in place, it only took 2 min to weld all the components.....quite easy.

When I finished, I determined I could produce these, primed & painted for $60/pr. & maintain a decent profit. The only change requested by the customer after coming to the shop was to add a 4"W X 12"L X 16ga plate to replace the small plate to be used as the score plate only on one of the pair. He would add the numbering/lettering that was needed for score. I told him the cost would be an additional $5.....$65/pr. He pre-paid for (8) sets for his family members & indicated the club he belongs to would probably want 20-30 sets. So, looks like I get to keep busy for a while.

Anyway, here's some pics. There are (10), so I will need (2) posts to get them all on. Give me a few minutes xtra to get them all on. I just want to help the youngsters/newbies to get a basic understanding of production applications that will help reduce costs & produce a healthier profit margin. Feel free to ask any ???...... Thanks.....

Denny
    Attached Images Attached Images
    * Complete welding, machine, & fab shop *
    * Mobile unit *
    * Finally retired *

* A man's word is his honor..... without honor, there is nothing. *
    * Words are like bullets..... once they leave your muzzle, you cannot get them back. *
    * I have no reservation to kill nor hesitation to die for the U.S. Constitution & the American Flag. *
    * Age is a state of mind..... at my age, you cannot fathom what is in my mind. *

Here's the 2nd group:
    * Complete welding, machine, & fab shop *
    * Mobile unit *
    * Finally retired *

* A man's word is his honor..... without honor, there is nothing. *
    * Words are like bullets..... once they leave your muzzle, you cannot get them back. *
    * I have no reservation to kill nor hesitation to die for the U.S. Constitution & the American Flag. *
    * Age is a state of mind..... at my age, you cannot fathom what is in my mind. *

Thats great Yorkie, I love the jig. I would have probably tried to fight with it and end up with things going every which direction and then had to cut it apart. These would be pretty handy to have a half dozen or so incase someone decided to sit a spell and take a load off.

As usual, very nice job.

Miller 211 A.S. and Spoolmate 100
    Stickmate LX 235 AC / 160 DC.
    Clarke 180 EN Just in case
    Spectrum 375 X-Treme.
    O/A Medium Radnor Torch, Large Victor Torch.
    Milwaukee 14" Chop Saw.
    4 x 6 Horizontal Band Saw.
    Rockworth 80 Gallon 2 Stage 16 SCFM @ 175 PSI , 15 SCFM @ 90 PSI.
    Jackson Passive shade #5 for the plasma.
    I almost forgot the Hobart XVP AD Hood.

Projects and Misc Albums
    http://picasaweb.google.com/keesfriend Feel Free to Have a Look ( Just keep in mind I am an amateur )

Nice job. I have found jigs to be invaluable. Here are a few jigs I had the fab shop I use for various things laser cut and form. Even if it is one-off stuff, the ability to make a hole dead center in tubing with minimal effort is wonderful. I'd be interested in seeing what others have built as far as fixtures, you never know what you may need someday

SnP
    Miller 350P
    Miller Econotig
    Milwaukee Dry saw
    Evolution Dry saw (for sale)
    Scotchman 350 cold saw
    7x12 bandsaw
    1910 ATW 14 x 72 lathe
    fridge full of adult beverages
    Sirius radio

www.snpequipment.com
    callouses and burns a plenty

Hi Denny,
    Top notch as usual.
    Those jigs make sure the last one looks like the first with the least time spent measuring and holding.

Thanks for sharing

Ji
    Grip it and Rip it

Glad to hear you've got some work coming in. Those are some good looking drink holders and you said it first, ( They are not made in CHINA! ). I learned to use jigs for production runs in cabinetmaking and carpentry before I ever tried them on metal. Some helpful things cross over no matter what medium you work with.
    Sometimes there's no second chances.