Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums
 
Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    central Kansas
    Posts
    66

    Default Glad this is done

    This is a spreader to pre grade the rock on RR Track after the track has been undercut (big chainsaw blade that cut the rock from under the track cleans it and puts it back in to keep the ballast from setting up like concrete).
    Not nearly as neat as most of the projects I have seen but hope you enjoy!
    pic 1 the hole the attachment mounts into.
    pic 2 mig welds on the frame
    pic 3 the finished attachment while testing the hyd. system
    pic 4 after the first day of testing
    last a vid of it during testing

    mount hole.jpg
    mig welds.jpg
    unfolded.jpg
    plow day 1.jpg

    http://s220.photobucket.com/albums/d...rrent=plow.mp4

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    central Kansas
    Posts
    66

    Default dissapointin

    almost 300 views and no replies. Are my mig welds that bad? The project that boring? I know the pics and vids are not that good. None of the pics of the welds during install turned out.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    2,840

    Default

    No reply- sometimes it happens.

    Welding Table thread and ya get couple hundred replies but a job like yours and nuttin.

    We do like mo' better Photos though.
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Central California Coast
    Posts
    300

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dppmfg View Post
    This is a spreader to pre grade the rock on RR Track after the track has been undercut (big chainsaw blade that cut the rock from under the track cleans it and puts it back in to keep the ballast from setting up like concrete).
    Not nearly as neat as most of the projects I have seen but hope you enjoy!
    pic 1 the hole the attachment mounts into.
    pic 2 mig welds on the frame
    pic 3 the finished attachment while testing the hyd. system
    pic 4 after the first day of testing
    last a vid of it during testing

    mount hole.jpg
    mig welds.jpg
    unfolded.jpg
    plow day 1.jpg

    http://s220.photobucket.com/albums/d...rrent=plow.mp4
    Nice work.
    Was it mild steel or more exotic?
    What filler?
    Looks heavy!

    -Ian
    :~ATTITUDE MAKES THE DIFFERENCE!!!:

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    central Kansas
    Posts
    66

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by crabber View Post
    Nice work.
    Was it mild steel or more exotic?
    What filler?
    Looks heavy!

    -Ian
    Mild steel for frame 70s filler wire.
    ar400 for the wing wear plates with tuballloy hard surface on the edges. dont remember the exact grade it has the carbide chunks in it very good stuff. Final ass weighed just under 3000 lb it is about 9 ft by 9 ft by 2 ft and i tell you it looked like a toy under the rock car.
    oh yea not that heavy material 2 x 4 1/4 wall rec tube for most of it 3/8 plate for the rest. The idea is when it gets caught on a concrete crossing it breaks apart and does not break the rock car.

    Thanks for the replies.
    I will try and get more pics from now on.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Mesa, AZ
    Posts
    20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dppmfg View Post
    almost 300 views and no replies. Are my mig welds that bad? The project that boring? I know the pics and vids are not that good. None of the pics of the welds during install turned out.

    Liked the build, nice work! Had no idea that the railroad did this kind of thing. Any way to get more pics of the items you work with? Pics are worth a 1000 words
    Pontiac Freak

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    central Kansas
    Posts
    66

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pontiac Freak View Post
    Liked the build, nice work! Had no idea that the railroad did this kind of thing. Any way to get more pics of the items you work with? Pics are worth a 1000 words
    Cant get any more pics of this project
    hoped to get some during the install. finally getting better at 1/8 7018 vert and overhead and wanted to get some feed back on it
    install plans changed last minute we were only given a window from 8 pm to midnight to work on it took 4 days instead of the 2 full days planned
    my pore old cameria does not work very well in the dark
    the next day while doing the run in and by off we cant get very close to the machine and all i had with me was my cell phone
    Will try to do better next time.
    Thanks for the compliments

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Chicago-ish
    Posts
    282

    Default

    Cool project, excellent welds. It was a mystery until I saw the video. I like the title of this thread, it would make a good name for my company that I don't have yet.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    central Kansas
    Posts
    66

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by spotsineyes View Post
    Cool project, excellent welds. It was a mystery until I saw the video. I like the title of this thread, it would make a good name for my company that I don't have yet.
    LOL that would be a good name! Or Is the check here Yet??

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Warning: Non-static method PhpQuickProfiler::getMicroTime() should not be called statically in /mnt/stor3-wc1-dfw1/357822/357839/www.millerwelds.com/web/content/lib/pqp/classes/Console.php on line 77

Warning: Non-static method PhpQuickProfiler::getMicroTime() should not be called statically in /mnt/stor3-wc1-dfw1/357822/357839/www.millerwelds.com/web/content/lib/pqp/classes/Console.php on line 77

Warning: Non-static method PhpQuickProfiler::getMicroTime() should not be called statically in /mnt/stor3-wc1-dfw1/357822/357839/www.millerwelds.com/web/content/lib/pqp/classes/Console.php on line 77

Warning: Non-static method PhpQuickProfiler::getMicroTime() should not be called statically in /mnt/stor3-wc1-dfw1/357822/357839/www.millerwelds.com/web/content/lib/pqp/classes/Console.php on line 77

Warning: Non-static method PhpQuickProfiler::getMicroTime() should not be called statically in /mnt/stor3-wc1-dfw1/357822/357839/www.millerwelds.com/web/content/lib/pqp/classes/Console.php on line 77

Warning: Non-static method PhpQuickProfiler::getMicroTime() should not be called statically in /mnt/stor3-wc1-dfw1/357822/357839/www.millerwelds.com/web/content/lib/pqp/classes/Console.php on line 77

Warning: Non-static method PhpQuickProfiler::getMicroTime() should not be called statically in /mnt/stor3-wc1-dfw1/357822/357839/www.millerwelds.com/web/content/lib/pqp/classes/Console.php on line 77

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in /mnt/stor3-wc1-dfw1/357822/357839/www.millerwelds.com/web/content/lib/footer.inc.php on line 82

Welding Projects

Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.