Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Glad this is done

This is a spreader to pre grade the rock on RR Track after the track has been undercut (big chainsaw blade that cut the rock from under the track cleans it and puts it back in to keep the ballast from setting up like concrete).
    Not nearly as neat as most of the projects I have seen but hope you enjoy!
    pic 1 the hole the attachment mounts into.
    pic 2 mig welds on the frame
    pic 3 the finished attachment while testing the hyd. system
    pic 4 after the first day of testing
    last a vid of it during testing

mount hole.jpg
    mig welds.jpg
    unfolded.jpg
    plow day 1.jpg

http://s220.photobucket.com/albums/d...rrent=plow.mp4

Default dissapointin

almost 300 views and no replies. Are my mig welds that bad? The project that boring? I know the pics and vids are not that good. None of the pics of the welds during install turned out.

No reply- sometimes it happens.

Welding Table thread and ya get couple hundred replies but a job like yours and nuttin.

We do like mo' better Photos though.
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

Quote Originally Posted by dppmfg View Post
    This is a spreader to pre grade the rock on RR Track after the track has been undercut (big chainsaw blade that cut the rock from under the track cleans it and puts it back in to keep the ballast from setting up like concrete).
    Not nearly as neat as most of the projects I have seen but hope you enjoy!
    pic 1 the hole the attachment mounts into.
    pic 2 mig welds on the frame
    pic 3 the finished attachment while testing the hyd. system
    pic 4 after the first day of testing
    last a vid of it during testing

mount hole.jpg
    mig welds.jpg
    unfolded.jpg
    plow day 1.jpg

http://s220.photobucket.com/albums/d...rrent=plow.mp4
    Nice work.
    Was it mild steel or more exotic?
    What filler?
    Looks heavy!

-Ian
    :~ATTITUDE MAKES THE DIFFERENCE!!!:

Quote Originally Posted by crabber View Post
    Nice work.
    Was it mild steel or more exotic?
    What filler?
    Looks heavy!

-Ian
    Mild steel for frame 70s filler wire.
    ar400 for the wing wear plates with tuballloy hard surface on the edges. dont remember the exact grade it has the carbide chunks in it very good stuff. Final ass weighed just under 3000 lb it is about 9 ft by 9 ft by 2 ft and i tell you it looked like a toy under the rock car.
    oh yea not that heavy material 2 x 4 1/4 wall rec tube for most of it 3/8 plate for the rest. The idea is when it gets caught on a concrete crossing it breaks apart and does not break the rock car.

Thanks for the replies.
    I will try and get more pics from now on.

Quote Originally Posted by dppmfg View Post
    almost 300 views and no replies. Are my mig welds that bad? The project that boring? I know the pics and vids are not that good. None of the pics of the welds during install turned out.

Liked the build, nice work! Had no idea that the railroad did this kind of thing. Any way to get more pics of the items you work with? Pics are worth a 1000 words
    Pontiac Freak

Quote Originally Posted by Pontiac Freak View Post
    Liked the build, nice work! Had no idea that the railroad did this kind of thing. Any way to get more pics of the items you work with? Pics are worth a 1000 words
    Cant get any more pics of this project
    hoped to get some during the install. finally getting better at 1/8 7018 vert and overhead and wanted to get some feed back on it
    install plans changed last minute we were only given a window from 8 pm to midnight to work on it took 4 days instead of the 2 full days planned
    my pore old cameria does not work very well in the dark
    the next day while doing the run in and by off we cant get very close to the machine and all i had with me was my cell phone
    Will try to do better next time.
    Thanks for the compliments

Cool project, excellent welds. It was a mystery until I saw the video. I like the title of this thread, it would make a good name for my company that I don't have yet.

Quote Originally Posted by spotsineyes View Post
    Cool project, excellent welds. It was a mystery until I saw the video. I like the title of this thread, it would make a good name for my company that I don't have yet.
    LOL that would be a good name! Or Is the check here Yet??