Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

The plate cost $10.00AUD and took around 30 minutes to complete.

The good people at Snap on sell their S/S corner protectors for $132.00AUD.
    That is very reasonable and worth buying.
    The only reason I made these ones is the Snap on ones don't come in tread plate which matches the theme in my workshop.

Ji
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Grip it and Rip it

Looks as good as the ones Snap On want's to sell you for sure. I'm surprised you did not build the box as well. Come on, you know you've thought about it at least once. I know I have.
    Sometimes there's no second chances.

Hi Davinci2010,
    Yes I sure did think about fabricating my own tool cabinet.
    The only thing that stopped me was the cost of the ball bearing drawer slides.
    Here they cost $50.00 each so all up the slides alone would cost $1600.00 for the required 32.

Ji
    Grip it and Rip it

I'm with you on the price tag for the top, and the corner guards. Whenever I have enough money, and tools to buy another one, I plan on having it sprayed (all the way around) with hot spray truck bed lining material.

It isnt the corner, or the top I have issues with, its the sides, and the back. If you ever have to move the box (Like I seem to have to do...all the **** time) you eventually tag something that goes straight through the paint.

I got the stainless top on my cart for free though. I had a sheisty snap on dealer for a while (I'll with hold his name...for his sake) that was giving me the run around on my new tool box a while back (http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....re&dir=catalog) He kept trying to give me a yellow one, instead of the black one, that I had originally ordered. I finally told him, either show up with one in a week or less, or I am calling snap on corporate, to tell them what is going on. This was after a month of arguing with him, not being able to get ahold of him, with no luck at all, getting the toolbox I was already making payments on.

Two days later, my box was there, with a brand new SS top on it already. He still got fired, and corporate still got a call from me.

Looks pretty nifty though Jigantor, I may just have to make myself some new corner guards, though they'll probably just be plain AL.
    Precision is only as important as the project...if you're building a rocket ship...1/64" would matter. If you're building a sledgehammer...an 1/8" probably wont.

Hi On Fire,
    Snap on has a great product but they have a great price tag to go with every product.
    Some products are reasonably priced, you know just twice what other tools sell for while others are off the chain.
    That said we still buy them.

Great to read your words.

Ji
    Grip it and Rip it

Their Bluepoint brand excluded; They are some of the best tools I have ever used. The old Mac tools, ( before Stanley got too involved), were pretty good as well. I have owned Snap On and Mac tool boxes and of course Craftsman. If I had to buy another one today, it would be a Snap On. I have a Blue Point roll cart that has seen better days. It will be undergoing some major surgery. It's going to get a new frame and a small gasoline powered air compressor on the bottom level. The top half with the drawers will be mounted above. I'll try to post pics when I get it going good. I just can't start on it right now as I already have too many projects underway.
    Sometimes there's no second chances.

Hi Davinci,
    The best tool cab I have ever owned was a Waterloo from the States.
    Unfortunately they don't sell them here anymore.

Looking forward to seeing your projects.

Ji
    Grip it and Rip it

Jig,

I got to say, that with all the time and thought you put into the details, Snap On's accessories are no where near the quality and finish for the prices they ask!

I have a large investment into my roll cabs / chests and continue to buy more! But when it comes to the accessories and personalization, I find more satisfaction and many times, better design and details when I do it myself like you do!

Another plus! When we do these things ourselves, there is more unique "personalization" and pride in having a well finished addition, that no one else has!

Thanks for all that you share!

Hi Kamikaze,
    Thanks for the kind words.
    I have a few more projects that I will post soon and hopefully they too will be useful.

Ji
    Grip it and Rip it