Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Default Thanks!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Anti-GMAW View Post
    As a matter of fact I do. Now what where we talking about again? O Ya... Now I remember, if you'r wondering why no one realy cares to help you then maybe take a look at your second post (and pretty much ever other post preceeding it). Particularly the last sentance in post #2. If you still can't figure it out then all I have to say is open electrical boxes are fun to hug and if you flap you'r arms realy hard when jumping off a cliff you can fly. You shaould go try them.
    Thats why i allways keep the windex next to the screen,,and Opps the papre towels are running low!!!Oppps spelt some thing rong,But if i spelt everything correct,call 911,Jack

Cool Just in case . . .

Just in case you really are that lacking in electrical knowledge. NO you can not steal one leg off of one 110vac and another of another 110vac and get the power you need. You will simple kick both breakers if you are lucky. You will end up with a very unstable supply and most likely FRY your welder if it is an inverter . . .

What is so hard about doing a temp receptacle next to your breaker panel . . ?
    Millermatic 251
    Lincoln AC/DC "Tombstone"
    Milwaulkee Grinder 4 1/2"
    Clark Grinder 4 1/2"

Default no thanks

There'd still have to be one or more holes in the wall and modification of the panel. I wouldn't want this done by a tenant, nor the fire hazard, etc. My last renter put a bunch of plywood in the attic for storage... laying it on top of electric lines. That was bad enough.

Quote Originally Posted by WACKO WELDER View Post
    What is so hard about doing a temp receptacle next to your breaker panel . . ?

you are NOT allowed by rental laws to change anything on your landlords "real" property without the consent of your landlord...no adding to the structure nor changing any part of it including painting of the walls or any adjustments to the wiring..for that matter in ontario you can not even change a lock without giving the landlord a key to permit him entry in case of an emergency or if the police need to get in...i think what you are trying to do is likely unsafe and unlawful

Default wattage

Quote Originally Posted by gatkeper1 View Post
    Before you go any further you need to determine if you do indeed have 220-240V available to you from the main box. You may not.
    We leased a farm and house for a few years where no 220V was available.
    How? The main drop was feed into a transformer that dropped the incoming 240V down to 120V so that a balanced load was always drawn from the meter resulting in a very resonable electric bill
    A Maxstar 150 on 115V at 150 amp output in TIG mode will draw 28 Amps
    There is no (NO) difference in the wattage consumed between120v and 240v.
    Wattage consumed is the product of the volts x amps.
    Any savings between 120v and 240v would be in the savings of possibly smaller (therefore less cost) distribution wiring.

Griff01

Smile I live in Louisiana

Anything you do that enhances the value is welcome if done properly on a rented single family dwelling. The home I currently live in was a rental at one time. Renters made many improvements . . . Of course you want permission from the owner . . .
    Millermatic 251
    Lincoln AC/DC "Tombstone"
    Milwaulkee Grinder 4 1/2"
    Clark Grinder 4 1/2"

Default "enhances value" and "done properly"

...are too open to subjective interpretation. A 240v outlet in a place that's been doing fine without is not my idea of enhanced value. It just increases the likelihood that a tenant might be doing something hazardous like, say, welding.

Quote Originally Posted by WACKO WELDER View Post
    Anything you do that enhances the value is welcome if done properly on a rented single family dwelling. The home I currently live in was a rental at one time. Renters made many improvements . . . Of course you want permission from the owner . . .

Default Power

Quote Originally Posted by tempraiser View Post
    Did anyone even read my post, or did they just make jokes based on what everyone else said? So far I've had one question answered: the maxstar 150 draws 28-30 amps on 110v at full power. Good. Somebody knows something. Suppose I could draw 20A at 220v (don't ask me where I'll find the outlet, and remember I can't install or modify wiring). Would that give me about 200w of output with my torch? I've also heard that the CST 250 (older model, no longer listed in the miller product list) tops out at 200 amps on single-phase, and NEEDS three-phase power to go any higher. Is this true?

Someone apparently misread my second message and dug up more arrogance than I put in.
    If you draw 28-30 amps with 110v you will pull 14-15 amps on 220v.
    Do not know your output at the torch but it will not be in "w " (watts?).
    Electrical specifications would be needed to address the last question.

Quote Originally Posted by griff01 View Post
    There is no (NO) difference in the wattage consumed between120v and 240v.
    Wattage consumed is the product of the volts x amps.
    Any savings between 120v and 240v would be in the savings of possibly smaller (therefore less cost) distribution wiring.

Griff01
    The transformer is between the meter and the distribution panel.This allowed the load to the meter to always be balanced. You don't have to believe it works, but it does
    Miller MM210
    Powcon 300ST
    Lincoln Weldanpower 225
    Century Mig 125GS
    Century 225 AC/DC Stick
    Hobart Rod Runner, Handler 210
    Smith O/A

i made many additions to the town home i lived in be for . all to better the value of the place, and all with prior consent from the owner. no chance this guy will get the ok to add a 240V line so he can weld. odds are good even if he gets a dyn or max star and sticks to 120V usage, he will be out on the street in no time. although judging from his attitude, i would suspect he thinks his lease will prevent the owner from throwing him out for welding in the living room..............

some just need more help than others.
    Anti-GMAW if this is the biggest A-hole you have met i need to move where you live. i have met many well beyond this guy, not that he isn't one, just not the worst.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES