Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Default Holy Cr ap

You just gave him a idea!!!!!!wasnt there a guy on miller,or hobart,that built a motorcycle in his livinroom?????????.Jack

Quote Originally Posted by fun4now View Post
    i made many additions to the town home i lived in be for . all to better the value of the place, and all with prior consent from the owner. no chance this guy will get the ok to add a 240V line so he can weld. odds are good even if he gets a dyn or max star and sticks to 120V usage, he will be out on the street in no time. although judging from his attitude, i would suspect he thinks his lease will prevent the owner from throwing him out for welding in the living room..............

some just need more help than others.
    Anti-GMAW if this is the biggest A-hole you have met i need to move where you live. i have met many well beyond this guy, not that he isn't one, just not the worst.
    Both you guys need to meet the jacka$$ i bought the boat from.... Sigh..
    you think this ones got nerve...
    Will it weld? I loooove electricity!

Miller 251/30A spool
    Syncro200
    Spectrum 625
    O/A
    Precix 5x10 CNC Router12"Z
    Standard modern lathe
    Cheap Chinese mill that does the trick... sort of...
    horizontal 7x12 bandsaw
    Roland XC540 PRO III
    54" laminator
    hammer and screwdriver (most used)
    little dog
    pooper scooper (2nd most used...)

We need to hook this guy up with the guy that built his own welder from microwave parts, that guy was a piece of work too. I think they would make a good pair, and perhaps he could make this guy some sort of power transmogrifier to get him the power he needs.

Default Electrical consumption

Quote Originally Posted by gatkeper1 View Post
    The transformer is between the meter and the distribution panel.This allowed the load to the meter to always be balanced. You don't have to believe it works, but it does
    Does NOT matter where the transformer is located. VAs are Vas. (That is volts times amps) 110v or 220v does not matter. The wattage used will be the same, ALWAYS.
    Are you "balancing the meter" on the roof or on the floor?????????????

Quote Originally Posted by WACKO WELDER View Post
    Just in case you really are that lacking in electrical knowledge. NO you can not steal one leg off of one 110vac and another of another 110vac and get the power you need. You will simple kick both breakers if you are lucky. You will end up with a very unstable supply and most likely FRY your welder if it is an inverter . . .

What is so hard about doing a temp receptacle next to your breaker panel . . ?
    Did you see my first post? They designed a product specifically for that purpose. 220 is simply two 110v lines with phases opposite each other, so that concept is sound. The question is, would this work with a welder? Since some run at 110v, you would expect that using 220 would lighten the load (double apparent voltage, divide current in half).

Quote Originally Posted by tempraiser View Post
    Did you see my first post? They designed a product specifically for that purpose. 220 is simply two 110v lines with phases opposite each other, so that concept is sound. The question is, would this work with a welder? Since some run at 110v, you would expect that using 220 would lighten the load (double apparent voltage, divide current in half).
    Yea and I know a guy in NY selling a bridge and another in NV selling ocean front property. My point? Anybody can sell a fool anything.

This came from the website: "The Quick 220TM power tap technically uses the fact that 220 / 240 volts AC is supplied to most facilities. The 220 / 240 volts is divided into 110/120 volt circuits for distribution within the building. Using standard 110 / 120 volt outlets and the Quick 220, the user can quickly identify and connect to the separated 110 / 120 volt halves of the original 220 / 240, restoring the 220/240 volt AC option without adding new electrical circuits or wiring to the building."

I'm no electrician but if I read this thing correctly (and tempraiser you would be wise to read it carefully also) without having 240 already in the building the blame thing won't work. And I'm sure some help desk jockey will tell you it will work. Just my 2.
    The definition of courage. "It's when you know you're licked before you begin, but you begin anyway and you see it through to the end no matter what." From "To Kill a Mockingbird"

Quote Originally Posted by fun4now View Post
    i made many additions to the town home i lived in be for . all to better the value of the place, and all with prior consent from the owner. no chance this guy will get the ok to add a 240V line so he can weld. odds are good even if he gets a dyn or max star and sticks to 120V usage, he will be out on the street in no time. although judging from his attitude, i would suspect he thinks his lease will prevent the owner from throwing him out for welding in the living room..............

some just need more help than others.
    Anti-GMAW if this is the biggest A-hole you have met i need to move where you live. i have met many well beyond this guy, not that he isn't one, just not the worst.

No, he's definetly not the worst but man does he ever show real potential! If you nead that much amperage then take 2 smaller 110V machines and parallel the dam things. If you can't do it then you can't do it! Life has it's limits deal with it!

Isn't it usually advantageous to use two different phases in your house to balance loads? I would imagine that with luck and a long (and thick) enough extension cord, I should be able to find opposite phases. Making my own from eight-gauge wire might solve distance problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti-GMAW View Post
    No, he's definetly not the worst but man does he ever show real potential! If you nead that much amperage then take 2 smaller 110V machines and parallel the dam things. If you can't do it then you can't do it! Life has it's limits deal with it!
    You can parallel machines? You mean if I bought two inverters and hooked their outputs together, I could double the output? I would think there would be problems with that
    Last edited by tempraiser; 12-16-2007 at 11:23 PM.

OK, take your meter and find two receptacles that are on opposite phases. Try to find the two that are closest together.
    Get, or assemble two 14/3 SOW cables with 120V 15A plugs so that they will reach these two receptacles.
    Run the free ends of the two cables to a utility box.
    Into the utility box install a 240V 15A receptacle.
    You will attach one black wire to one terminal and the other black wire to the other terminal.
    Attach the green wires together to the ground terminal.
    Attach the white wires together only to themselves.
    Put an appropriate cover on the box.
    Don't forget to use a cable clamp where the wires enter the box.
    Make very sure you know what you're doing.
    Find an electrician and show him your work before you plug it in.
    Do not blow yourself up.
    XMT-300 with S-64 wire feeder.
    Lincoln HI-FREQ modified to run XMT.
    Esab PCM-875 plasma cutter.
    Miller Spoolmatic-1
    Miller PC-300 pulser
    Miller Optima pulser