Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Lightbulb

if you have a max star 150 or 200 you would do best to just use the dryer outlet as its likely to be the largest wire and breaker in the house. just stick to 120V. even if you don't burn down the house you will get thrown out of the building for even the slightest alteration to the power system. the jumper you ask about is just going to get you into trouble. buy a 120V capable welder and use it. although truth be told if any one finds out you are welding in the apartment you will likely be looking for a new place to live really fast. the Dyn 200 has been run up to 195 amp's on 120V power, i would suspect the max star (the DC only version) would act similarly. keeping in mind your duty cycle will be next to nil at that point. good luck to ya.

i agree 100% with the others about your attitude, a lil work there would go a long way to getting help. wile it may be true not many will bother to reach out and smack you over it, there is a lot of knowledge here to be had if you don't piss every one off. but its your bridge, burn it if you want.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Smile It is possible . . .

Like I said, it is possible that he may just be "IGNORANT" as to what a forum is. Perhaps he thinks we all work for Miller, like a huge extended customer service division.

So here is a customer service type of answer . . .

Sir, regardless of where you live, there is a service panel. Install the appropriate sized breaker, run a short run with the appropriate wire size to the appropriate receptacle. Build large extension cord with appropriate size wire. This should all be done by a licensed electrical professional. Before doing anything contact the inspection department of your local municipality. Oh yes don't forget to take out that permit first.

Now he can weld . . . .
    Millermatic 251
    Lincoln AC/DC "Tombstone"
    Milwaulkee Grinder 4 1/2"
    Clark Grinder 4 1/2"

Talking

Heres a solution that can fix both you'r ignorance and you'r welding problems both at the same time; get an oxy accetylene setup turn the accetylene to 30psi and the oxy to 3psi.

From what I've read so far.............I think anything more complicated than a hot glue gun will just get him hurt and others.
    Nick
    Miller 252 Mig
    Miller Cricket XL
    Millermatic 150 Mig
    Miller Syncrowave 200 Tig
    2-O/A outfits
    Jet Lathe and Mill
    Jet 7x12 horz/vert band saw
    DeWalt Multi Cutter metal saw
    Century 50 Amp Plasma Cutter
    20 ton electric/hydraulic vertical press
    Propane Forge
    60" X 60" router/plasma table

www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTu7wicVCmQ
    Vist my site: www.nixstuff.com
    and check out some of my ironwork and other stuff

Seems he's it the running for the next Darwin Award.
    The definition of courage. "It's when you know you're licked before you begin, but you begin anyway and you see it through to the end no matter what." From "To Kill a Mockingbird"

Cool

Attitude or no, first consult an electrician. Point and grunt at the welder. The electrician will tell you the cost of the installation. Then consult with owner of building for permission to let the electrician proceed. Don't forget to throw money at electrician and thank the owner afterward. Problem solved.
    Last edited by Steve; 12-15-2007 at 02:21 PM. Reason: Spelling, Grammer, etc.

BTW...moderators don't really answer many questions here. They really are not the guys out in the field doing the work but instead providing the means for us to. There are exceptions. If you went over to the motorsports side and asked ANDY he may or may not answer you.
    A portable welder might be a much better solution for your situation tho seriously.

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
    Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
    MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
    Miller 30-A Spoolgun
    Miller WC-115-A
    Miller Spectrum 300
    Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
    SPEEDGLAS 9100XX

the miller guys will jump in if its a good question needing there help........this one dose not qualify. i suspect millers only reply would be as stated above by WACKO WELDER if they did.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

I bet no reply because he got a tongue lashing about his attitude, well deserved.
    Anyway, I hope everything turns out O.K. for him.
    Tim Beeker,
    T-N-J Industries
    (my side bussiness)

Miller Synchrowave 350LX with tigrunner
    Esab 450i with wire feeder
    HH135 mig
    Thermal Dynamics cutmaster 51 plasma cutter
    Miller aircrafter 330 - sold
    Marathon 315mm coldsaw
    vertical and horizontal band saws
    table saw
    Dewalt cut off saw
    Sand blast cabinet
    lots of hand grinders
    Harris torch
    beer fridge

Did anyone even read my post, or did they just make jokes based on what everyone else said? So far I've had one question answered: the maxstar 150 draws 28-30 amps on 110v at full power. Good. Somebody knows something. Suppose I could draw 20A at 220v (don't ask me where I'll find the outlet, and remember I can't install or modify wiring). Would that give me about 200w of output with my torch? I've also heard that the CST 250 (older model, no longer listed in the miller product list) tops out at 200 amps on single-phase, and NEEDS three-phase power to go any higher. Is this true?

Someone apparently misread my second message and dug up more arrogance than I put in.