Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 12 12345611 ... LastLast

Default Power everywhere but no 220 230 or 240

I live in a place where I have power but all of it is 110v and I can't install a 220v outlet (I don't own the place). My stove is gas run, and dryer is one of those 110v high efficiency models. But I think I can steal opposite phases from some of my outlets to "make" a 220v outlet. I need advice as to what CAN be done and what is too unsafe or impossible. Note this product: http://www.quick220.com/220_catalog.htm which basically takes two 110v lines and compares them to see if they are out of phase, and if so, engages relays to send power from the opposite hot leads of the two incoming outlets to the outlets on the front of the device. This thing only handles 4400 watts (mostly because of wire and relays rated at 20A), but I know how to build it to handle more (not that outlets go any higher). Would it be safe to run a welder off one of these for 150-200 amp tig welding?

Suppose I didn't go the 220-double-hot route. If I hooked plugs from in-phase 110v outlets together for more current, would I be up to my knees in danger? I know that outlets from different parts of a house can have different wire resistances and different voltages, but supposing I found in-phase outlets that were near each other, would this work? I have a multimeter.

How much amperage can a maxstar 150 or 200 draw at maximum power settings with 110v? Don't show me the datasheet, I want advice about this last question from a moderator.
    Last edited by tempraiser; 12-15-2007 at 06:04 AM.

A 110v high effeciency model dryer eh? Well I bet THAT plug will have the biggest wire and breaker then and prolly "safer" than anything as far as liability goes, if you were to get caught somehow
    What are going to be welding btw?
    Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
    MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT
    Miller 30-A Spoolgun
    Miller WC-115-A
    Miller Spectrum 300
    Miller Spoolmate 200
    Miller 225 Thunderbolt
    SPEEDGLAS 9100XX

I'm welding whatever I can weld. I might have to taper the edges to do thicker steel. Just answer my questions.

Default win friends and influence people

Nice! One of more classic entries by a new poster on any forum I've ever seen.

Quote Originally Posted by tempraiser View Post
    I'm welding whatever I can weld. I might have to taper the edges to do thicker steel. Just answer my questions.

You should probably stay away from this.
    Even if the outlet feedwires are the better 12AWG and outlets reated for 20 amp and the breakers are rated for 20amp also, AND you do luck out and find 2 that are opposite legs, just from you posting and additude, you will more then likely hurt yourself or burn the structure down.
    I know how you feel, I only had 120v in my garage til I ran more to it.
    Tim Beeker,
    T-N-J Industries
    (my side bussiness)

Miller Synchrowave 350LX with tigrunner
    Esab 450i with wire feeder
    HH135 mig
    Thermal Dynamics cutmaster 51 plasma cutter
    Miller aircrafter 330 - sold
    Marathon 315mm coldsaw
    vertical and horizontal band saws
    table saw
    Dewalt cut off saw
    Sand blast cabinet
    lots of hand grinders
    Harris torch
    beer fridge

Default Brewing trouble

Quote Originally Posted by tempraiser View Post
    I live in a place where I have power but all of it is 110v and I can't install a 220v outlet (I don't own the place). My stove is gas run, and dryer is one of those 110v high efficiency models. But I think I can steal opposite phases from some of my outlets to "make" a 220v outlet. I need advice as to what CAN be done and what is too unsafe or impossible. Note this product: http://www.quick220.com/220_catalog.htm which basically takes two 110v lines and compares them to see if they are out of phase, and if so, engages relays to send power from the opposite hot leads of the two incoming outlets to the outlets on the front of the device. This thing only handles 4400 watts (mostly because of wire and relays rated at 20A), but I know how to build it to handle more (not that outlets go any higher). Would it be safe to run a welder off one of these for 150-200 amp tig welding?

Suppose I didn't go the 220-double-hot route. If I hooked plugs from in-phase 110v outlets together for more current, would I be up to my knees in danger? I know that outlets from different parts of a house can have different wire resistances and different voltages, but supposing I found in-phase outlets that were near each other, would this work? I have a multimeter.

How much amperage can a maxstar 150 or 200 draw at maximum power settings with 110v? Don't show me the datasheet, I want advice about this last question from a moderator.

Throw your multimeter away and buy fire insurance!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Before you go any further you need to determine if you do indeed have 220-240V available to you from the main box. You may not.
    We leased a farm and house for a few years where no 220V was available.
    How? The main drop was feed into a transformer that dropped the incoming 240V down to 120V so that a balanced load was always drawn from the meter resulting in a very resonable electric bill
    A Maxstar 150 on 115V at 150 amp output in TIG mode will draw 28 Amps
    Miller MM210
    Powcon 300ST
    Lincoln Weldanpower 225
    Century Mig 125GS
    Century 225 AC/DC Stick
    Hobart Rod Runner, Handler 210
    Smith O/A

Where in the He!! do some of these people come from?

If you want some help or advice the best way to do it is curb the attitude and demanding nature, ask in a civilized manner and you may actually get people like me (and I'm sure many others) who could give some input and advice to help you out. Dave
    If necessity is the Mother of Invention, I must be the Father of Desperation!

John Blewett III 10-22-73 to 8-16-07
    Another racing great gone but not to be forgotten.http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...modified&hl=en

I think the best thing for you to do in this situation is the get in the bath tub with it full of water..... plug it your maxstar and drop it into the water with you.....that should get just about all of the stupid out of you.....then come back and we will see what we can do to help you out.
    Mike
    George W. Bush was saving your butt whether you liked it or not!
    Fear is temporary, regret is forever
    HH210 with SG

Tempraiser,

All I will say is that you've definitely got an appropriate "handle".

The arrogance of your posting (especially for a 2nd post) is unbelievable.

Don't expect to get advice on "how to burn my landlord's house down" with that kind of attitude.