Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Roll back plns

Hybrid View

Default Roll back plns

I am interested in putting a roll back bed on a 84 Toyota dual wheel frame. I'm looking for anyone who has any plans or ideas.
    This will be a project for my high school welding class.
    Any help will be appreciated..Thanks

Default Mini-Rollback

Herb
    won't that be a rather short rollback?.... maybe for atv's??? would be cute and cool but would also be concerned about the weight of a steel bed on that little truck... probably have to go aluminum for the bed to keep the weight down....
    What would you think about taking 2 Aluminum ramps from a U-Haul style rental truck, welding them together side by side for the top deck???? that should make a 10-12ft body..... hauling ATV's or maybe "Smart" cars......
    just a few thoughts...
    Heiti

Default roll back plns

Deffinitely think aluminum is the way to go . I am looking to make it as much like a true roll back as possible with cylinders to move the bed back and up just like the real thing. Realize it won't be used for full size vehicles but should be great for ATV's and lawm mowers.
    Any suggestions for a set of plans or drawings (even for a full size) would be helpful
    Thanks

Default Jerr-Dan Rollbacks....

Herb
    did not find plans.... BUT.... did find a link to the owners and service manuals for the Jerr-Dan line of rollbacks...(PDF) these are profusely illustrated and should give you a better idea as to how to construct your project... I have repaired/welded up a number of these over the years... and as far as I can see if someone says "rollback" they are usually referring to one of theirs.... pretty simple design... ought to be able to draw up a smaller scale plan from the pics and description....
    hope this helps
    Heiti

http://www.easternwrecker.com/JerrDanManuals.asp

http://tow411.yuku.com/

THE towing and recovery forum, full of cool custom equipment. Lurk there and read up for all the info you could want.