Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by H80N View Post
    Even though a tig is more expensive and requires more skill... I would vote that you go for one of those first... your skillset will be much stronger in the longrun.... mig is percieved like a hot glue gun... even though that is not true... LEARN tig first!!! then the rest of your adventure will be much more fulfilling... know some dimestore experts will argue... but they are wrong...
    Have you spent much time in race fab shops? Ultimately you need both but if you are doing primarily mild steel DOM and ERW (as most race fab shops do) if you can only pick one a mig will be a better choice. If you're going to a one off build in your garage you could do it with all tig but those that know use both and most if it is mig. Here's a pretty good example... and these aren't exactly "dime store experts".

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...d-TIG-welding/

Vegas
    Been Tigging for 40plus years.... and yes been around race shops.... Have Dynasty 200DX and 350DX Tigrunner...Plus MM350P W/25ft alumapro gun.... and tons of other stuff.... AND I still stand by my reccomendation.... if you learn how to properly tig.. you will be better served by a mig when you get around to getting one... too many people start with mig and learn sloppy habits that mar their skills for life... the glue gun syndrome..... but to each his own,,,, please reread what I said about "skillset"....
    Last edited by H80N; 09-16-2010 at 10:50 AM.

Decided to stick with the mig for now and am going to pick up a esab migmaster 215 pro next week and then will start saving for a tig to go with it.

After going back and forth a bit over which machines to get I finally decided and just placed an order for a mm212.

Picked up a mm212 last night and can't wait to try it out and get back to work on the mustang and chevelle.

Im glad you choosed Miller, thats why we are here right?
    Tig is art of quality welding and after you get into it results are great while mig is simple,sparky, smookey and dirty to compare with tig, after I get into tigging I decide not to own mig and so far Im pleased, it is little slower but as well its good practice...
    DYNASTY 350 DX
    DYNASTY 200 DX
    MILLERMATIC 251
    1942 MONARCH CK-12 LATHE
    1969 BRIDGEPORT J-2 HEAD MILL
    SCOTCHMAN 350 COLD SAW
    DAKE 200 BENDER
    BEAUMONT METALWORKS KMG BELT GRINDER

I agree with H80N on this one. My recommendation would have also been TIG over MIG. I have both in my shop but if I had to give one up the MIG would be in someone else's garage.
    Blondie (Owner C & S Automotive)

Colt the original point & click interface!

Millermatic 35 with spot panel
    Miller 340A/BP
    Victor O/A torches
    Lincoln SP125
    Too many other tools to list

03 Ram 1500
    78 GS1000
    82 GL1100 Interstate

Wish I had bought that unit instead of my Lincoln years ago. Learned my lesson though, and when I upgrade my Mig it will be Blue, same as my Tig.
    Dynasty 200 DX
    Lincoln 140
    O/A
    Gradatim vincimus
    "We conquer by degrees."

I own a speed shop and have a miller mig and tig.

Personally, now that I have a tig, It would be hard to see another mig weld leave out the door.

At most, let the techs tack with a mig and lay it on the bench for tig welding.

I guess it just depends on who your working for and what they are willing to spend. You decide that by what tools you invest in and what has been achieved with those tools.

If I owned a repair shop, I would feel different, nice migs for everyone to weld up their rusty crush bent inch and a half