Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by KBar View Post
    It is not how much you paid for the boat but how much you wanted it. If you are truly enjoying the project and it helps keep your mind busy, its worth every penny.

Something you might want to seriously consider is to start keeping a journal of when he comes around and put up a surveilance camera on your premises. Also document everything about the sale that you can remember. I dont think he will ever push the issue, sounds like he is just after beer money. But if he ever would push it, you are loaded to the gill with evidence.

Also, keep records of everything you put into the boat, including time. You may be able to get a salvage title or remanufactured title on it. Not sure how things are there on that issue but it might be worth checking out before anybody else tries.

Keep us posted.
    Thanks I will keep posting as this progresses.

Im sort of in this position.. and the only way I can really describe it is by sharing a favorite saying of mine.

"it is impossible to reason with ignorance."

as for keeping a log. Ive got alot of pictures of before and after. Keeping a more detailed log is also in the works and surveilance is already in place. y'get a bit paranoid after being burned once too many.. Im sure alot of good folks here can attest to that. the house is covered...and ive got some watchful neighbours too.
    Will it weld? I loooove electricity!

Miller 251/30A spool
    Syncro200
    Spectrum 625
    O/A
    Precix 5x10 CNC Router12"Z
    Standard modern lathe
    Cheap Chinese mill that does the trick... sort of...
    horizontal 7x12 bandsaw
    Roland XC540 PRO III
    54" laminator
    hammer and screwdriver (most used)
    little dog
    pooper scooper (2nd most used...)

Quote Originally Posted by SignWave View Post
    Thanks I will keep posting as this progresses.

Im sort of in this position.. and the only way I can really describe it is by sharing a favorite saying of mine.

"it is impossible to reason with ignorance."

as for keeping a log. Ive got alot of pictures of before and after. Keeping a more detailed log is also in the works and surveilance is already in place. y'get a bit paranoid after being burned once too many.. Im sure alot of good folks here can attest to that. the house is covered...and ive got some watchful neighbours too.
    Thats good. I have been burnt one too many times myself and thats why i mentioned the things i did. I even keep a journal at work, someday it will pay nice dividends.
    Ken

What else is there besides welding and riding. Besides that

Miller Thunderbolt XL 300/200 AC/DC
    Hobart Handler 187
    Dewalt Chop Saw
    4" Air Grinder
    Die Grinder
    Rigid Drill Press
    Kellogg 10hp Air Compressor

2009 FXDC

I hate for this to be my first post but i could not help but give my two cents worth.this deal needs to be over ,either get moneys back and give boat back or hammer down on this guy and get rid of him for good.from the looks of the rig it doesn't have much potential.look around and find something in a little better shape.when i trade or barter in any way shape or form i make sure both parties are in full understandable agreement.this guy is prime example of the wrong type people to trade with.lesson well learned i hope.if you want to know if i know what i am talking about just ask my wife she knows everything.good luck in future deals.
    my ability is limited by me only.

sounds like he needed to pay off a debt and was hoping to get some $ for himself out of it. he probably sold the other parts out of his garage because he had access to them but the boat was being held as collateral so he wanted to sell high enough to get some thing back out of it.. from the looks and the asking $ you did him a fair deal.. you were only $700 under his asking and he pulled the motor option right out from under you. i'm guessing you will spend a good bit of the $700 on parts and TIME to make it purr again. for a $ in hand deal it sounds like you made a fair deal. don't beat your self up, you did him right, he just has his own problems to deal with. don't let him make you a part of them. it almost sounds like a friend in the mix some what. if thats the problem, catch him when he is not drinking and tell him he needs to lay off or suffer the penalties.
    hope it all works out for ya. IMO you did no wrong here, thats not trumps weekend boat, just a big project. he is out of line, way out of line. find a way to set him strait (without $$) and move on to enjoying the boat.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Quote Originally Posted by gofastdaddy4 View Post
    I hate for this to be my first post but i could not help but give my two cents worth.this deal needs to be over ,either get moneys back and give boat back or hammer down on this guy and get rid of him for good.from the looks of the rig it doesn't have much potential.look around and find something in a little better shape.when i trade or barter in any way shape or form i make sure both parties are in full understandable agreement.this guy is prime example of the wrong type people to trade with.lesson well learned i hope.if you want to know if i know what i am talking about just ask my wife she knows everything.good luck in future deals.
    I want to quote both Go fast dad and fun4now but I'll welcome GFD aboard this time around...

YES, lesson well learned. Uhg.. Ive done alot so far and she looks noting like the pics. Still have a long ways to go and limited time.. check out the other post i started called "who enjoys a challenge" it'll give you and idea of my progress to date and welcome to the forum. its a great palce to shoot the sh t and figure stuff out. some good people here and dont forget to give tacmig some grief over his squirrel... hehehehe...

Fun4now, so far im up to 1400.00 to get this thing running. PMO!! I should have bought the 60hp Merc from the guy in CA... $3500,a pleasant drive along the coast and throught he redwood forest to Santa Rosa, no headache, 148 hours, all controls, cables, and guages... oh well too late now. And I think youre very right as to his motives... He did owe money and I guess i didnt quite pay off his debt...

Miller 251/30A spool
    Syncro200
    Spectrum 625
    O/A
    Standard modern lathe
    horizontal 7x12 bandsaw
    Roland XC540 PRO III
    54" laminator
    little dog

Default boat woes

hey signwave,im sorry but i cant even blieve you paid 3800 for that tub,but it is your money( ive got all kinds of great stuff up here for ya bud just bring yer wallet) all joking aside dont let this clown attempt to re negotiate .deal was done when you took the boat from his possession.plus the fact that you put time and money into it( i charge 125/hr to weld on aluminum so tell him he owes you some money back due to the bad shape it was in,but whatever you do dont feel sorry for him and watch yourself when hes aroundget him off your property asap and have him stay off, guy sounds like a wasted loser to me,best not to continue to associate with him good luck man and nice job restoring the boat youve got alot more patience than i do

Quote Originally Posted by SignWave View Post
    I did not pay this guy directly as he told me to pay the guy who was keeping the boat for him. Apparently the boat owner owed this guy's brother in law some money. I made an offer to the guy who was keeping the boat and he accepted.. end of story right? not so...
    personally i think he is just trying to be greedy. Figures I'll cave if he keeps annoying me..
    No bill of sale no title, you pay a 3rd party for a boat they don't own and you are currently investing money into repairs for a boat you do not legally own.
    STOP spend no more money because in the end he will get the boat back and you will lose everything.
    settle with this guy only if you can get the legal ownership cleared up
    Miller MM210
    Powcon 300ST
    Lincoln Weldanpower 225
    Century Mig 125GS
    Century 225 AC/DC Stick
    Hobart Rod Runner, Handler 210
    Smith O/A

Quote Originally Posted by gatkeper1 View Post
    No bill of sale no title, you pay a 3rd party for a boat they don't own and you are currently investing money into repairs for a boat you do not legally own.
    STOP spend no more money because in the end he will get the boat back and you will lose everything.
    settle with this guy only if you can get the legal ownership cleared up
    I couldn't have said it better. You would be money ahead to have the Water patrol officer check out the numbers on it and the motor to check for stolen.
    Also could have old liens on it. I really hate to say it but somehow I believe you are going to be a whole bunch smarter before this is over. That third party thing is your undoing and his saving grace...sorta like me selling your car to a stranger out of a parking lot. Not sure if you didn't break the law on that one. I realize everyone here is on your side and so am I but in court if he has papers that's all a judge is gonna look at.

DUDE...You GOTTA find out who that rig is registered to before you spend another dime. Possesion would be 9/10ths untill the third party thing got throwed in there as he didn't have legal authority. I never buy anything without the title in my hand.
    Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
    MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT
    Miller 30-A Spoolgun
    Miller WC-115-A
    Miller Spectrum 300
    Miller Spoolmate 200
    Miller 225 Thunderbolt
    SPEEDGLAS 9100XX

Default dumb move from a smart guy...

yeah i know... Thats the clincher to this whole situ.. BUT, I do know where the boat came from, I know the history and I am aware that there is no paper work at all nor ios any part of this machine stolen.

So with that all in mind, I made the decision to purchase this tub. You can beleive me when I say I'm feeling a little foolish right now, but I suspect that all will work out. I am going to have the boat licensed as a "U-built". This essentially means that the boat was home made. It will issued a new serial number and ID numbers.

Before this piece of work came along , I had another one that was its twin. Both boats came from the same place, both were used for fishing charters
    (M.V. Salmon Seeker) and both were manufactured by the same company(Kellahan). Im going to check the serial #'s today and see how far apart these two boats really are.

I think Forest Gump said it best....

Man of Steel, you titled your post boat woes.. dont you mean woe boat? heehehehehe. couldnt resist, as soon as i saw that i saw Elmer fudd hunting wabbits..
    Last edited by SignWave; 12-15-2007 at 10:29 AM.

Miller 251/30A spool
    Syncro200
    Spectrum 625
    O/A
    Standard modern lathe
    horizontal 7x12 bandsaw
    Roland XC540 PRO III
    54" laminator
    little dog

Well If you lived here I doubt you could fool anybody into thinking you made it yourself because a water patrolman would have to inspect it. Besides that the motor would have a seperate title as well and anybody would know you didn't make that. Down here you most defenitley would be screwed on the motor for sure. I'd get the titles before I sunk another penny into either of them. Just because it ain't stolen doesn't keep it from having leins against it....and that is usually why jerks like that guy won't produce a title. Unless he told you some better reason.
    If you retitle on mortgaged equip that would be fraud as the guy didn't own it.
    Just my opinion on something I've had more than a little exp. with.
    Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
    MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT
    Miller 30-A Spoolgun
    Miller WC-115-A
    Miller Spectrum 300
    Miller Spoolmate 200
    Miller 225 Thunderbolt
    SPEEDGLAS 9100XX