Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What would you have paid for this?

Ive got a bit of trouble with the guy i bought the boat from. He seems to think that I should have paid more than I did and now he wont leave me alone. The story is complicated and mickey mouse.

The guy showed up at my door unannounced , smelling of booze at midnight about a week ago. He started talking trash about how all the work I've done on the hull and engine (welding,fitting, repairing) was freechoice and I had no claim to the boat. I owed him money because I didnt pay what we agreed on. The price was based on a site unseen condition. I should have known... Whille he was here, I tod him that he wasnt honest, the engine is absolutely FUBAR and not what i expected for $XXXX.00. He is $hitfaced and not listening to a word.. I tell him its done and you need to leave. he does. Now a few days pass and he shows up once again in the middle of the day. I suspect that he has been drinking again because he went to my back yard, pulled out his "little supersoaker" and wizzed all upside my shed.
    Now im a little more than choked....anyways...

Included in the price was: the boat, an engine, and some spare engine parts.
    at the last minute, he negs out of the spare parts sayin that they are a seperate deal above and beyong the sale of the boat and engine.. Sigh..
    I take the ferry to see the boat with all the money in hand and when i finally see it, the boat is in really really rough shape. Its repairable, but its going to need alot of TLC to coax it back to health.

I try to start the engine- the solenoid is done. I get a new one, the engine turns and sputters , but wont run well without the choke.. I take the carbs apart and they are full of jellied gas and water.. This leads to other things...
    so heres the list of no good on the engine so far:
    1995 Honda BF50 4stroke. 3 cylinder 808 cc.
    -block is damaged and will not hold charge coils as the mounting posts have been broekn off. no coils to be found anywhere.
    -carbs are fried. they are corroded, clogged and need severe service
    -engine has corrosion everywhere. salavageable but questionable.
    -tilt tube is severly rusted and needs replacing.. A big big job.
    -the rings are siezed on piston two and three
    -the rod bearing on piston 2 is smeared
    -all the gaskets including the head were sealed with silicon RTV Black... sigh.
    -the lower unit output shaft to the prop is leaking gear oil as the seals are fried.
    - the caviatation plate is cracked and the prop is damaged.
    - there are missing parts and peices

These are a few of the more serious issues.

The boat... thats another story.
    -It needs alot of welding as its got cracks and holes everywhere. the hull was full of water under the sole of the boat like fifty gallons worth.
    -some smart guy cut the railing in order to fit a plywood windshield....Hahahahaha!!! still makes me laugh at the shear stupidity...
    - the outher hull is really scratched and gouged up. These marks will be there forever unless i come up with a way to repair them. Also sporting a nice thick layer of barnacles and sea crust.

Some of you have seen some of the pics Ive posted. I'll plaster some more here so that ytou can better make a descision as to what you think this machine should sell for or rather what you would be inclined to pay.

Help me out here guys. The man is really giving me the gears.. The phone wont stop ringing.. kinda like he's stalking or something...

So with this all said and done, what would you have paid if it was you buying this "project"?
    thanks for taking the time to read .

Rich...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by SignWave; 12-14-2007 at 05:11 PM.
    Will it weld? I loooove electricity!

Miller 251/30A spool
    Syncro200
    Spectrum 625
    O/A
    Precix 5x10 CNC Router12"Z
    Standard modern lathe
    Cheap Chinese mill that does the trick... sort of...
    horizontal 7x12 bandsaw
    Roland XC540 PRO III
    54" laminator
    hammer and screwdriver (most used)
    little dog
    pooper scooper (2nd most used...)

Lightbulb

maybe $50
    at this point i would not be concerned with what you or he thinks you should pay as its a done deal. tell him to step off or have him arrested.
    he needed the $$ so he sold it.(probably for beer $$) so its done now. its too late to start negotiating a price. have his number blocked so he cant call and the next time he shows up drunk, call the cops and let them give him a DUI along with a Temp. restraining order.
    stop stressing over it, take your time fix the boat up nice and enjoy it. let him deal with his pore life choices without you.
    happy boating.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

I'd stick my gun in his face and tell him if he ever comes back "I'll bury you..."

The more civilized approach would be calling the cops on harassment. Getting a temp. restraining order only takes a couple minutes of filling out the form and then the nice polite Sheriff delivers it. That ought to get the guys neighbors really curious too. If he doesn't show up for the hearing, your order gets extended to 6 mos or a year depending on the judge. If he shows up, his own testimony might get him charged with stalking.

Either way, the guy needs to be set straight.

I wouldn't go after him though. That makes you look like the aggressor, and we don't want that. You can also have the number blocked by the phone company. I do all my CL dealings through my cell phone because that way the house phone number doesn't get out there. I have call rejection options right in my phone for the loonies.
    Syncrowave 250DX
    Invison 354MP
    XR Control and 30A

Airco MED20 feeder
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 81
    Smith O/A rig
    And more machinery than you can shake a 7018 rod at

Exclamation

No offense, but I would not pay more than scrap value for it. As for the seller, you need to black his number and if he shows up again call the police. If they get there in time to catch him behind the wheel it is a trip to jail for DUI. You could have them issue a criminal trespass warning to him also. If he comes back after that call the police and they can arrest him for being on your property. Temporary restraining orders are not worth the paper they are written on. Under no circumstances do anything to him, it will cost you more than it is worth.

Now for the boat fix it like you want an d do not look back. You did get a bill of sale on the boat before he started to bother you.

see next posting
    Last edited by SignWave; 12-14-2007 at 05:04 PM.

Miller 251/30A spool
    Syncro200
    Spectrum 625
    O/A
    Standard modern lathe
    horizontal 7x12 bandsaw
    Roland XC540 PRO III
    54" laminator
    little dog

Quote Originally Posted by odleo View Post
    Now for the boat fix it like you want an d do not look back. You did get a bill of sale on the boat before he started to bother you.
    No bill of sale.... no paper work.. nothing. I asked him for the license papers but he said he didnt have them. SO if I want to register thsi machine, I will have to do so as a "homebuilt" .

I know... kinda dumb , but on the other hand... no papers, no proof.. I dont know what to think of that one...

thanks for the input guys. Id like to take one of the suggestions but that wouldnt go over so well around here...

Seriously though, What do you think a 16ft welded aluminum boat in rough shape and a dead engine would sell for second hand..? whats 900 lbs of 5086 Aluminum worth as scrap?

Did I mention that this very same guy damaged my trailer and I allowed him to park his truck in my yard for a month while he was up north doing some logging? I even took professional photographs for him a few years ago so that he would have something to help sell his wares. I did this as a favor to him too. Bastar.. even got the negatives.. But all of that is forgotten now..
    Last edited by SignWave; 12-14-2007 at 05:05 PM.

Miller 251/30A spool
    Syncro200
    Spectrum 625
    O/A
    Standard modern lathe
    horizontal 7x12 bandsaw
    Roland XC540 PRO III
    54" laminator
    little dog

You might want to rethink the "taking a dump in his garden" idea I suggested
    a while back.

Also a thought.......how can he prove the boat is his and not yours without papers?.

If in fact it is his boat............he owes you for a lot of repair work. If he can't pay, it's your boat. Remember the 9/10's theory
    Nick
    Miller 252 Mig
    Miller Cricket XL
    Millermatic 150 Mig
    Miller Syncrowave 200 Tig
    2-O/A outfits
    Jet Lathe and Mill
    Jet 7x12 horz/vert band saw
    DeWalt Multi Cutter metal saw
    Century 50 Amp Plasma Cutter
    20 ton electric/hydraulic vertical press
    Propane Forge
    60" X 60" router/plasma table

www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTu7wicVCmQ
    Vist my site: www.nixstuff.com
    and check out some of my ironwork and other stuff

Quote Originally Posted by monte55 View Post
    You might want to rethink the "taking a dump in his garden" idea I suggested
    a while back.

Also a thought.......how can he prove the boat is his and not yours without papers?.

If in fact it is his boat............he owes you for a lot of repair work. If he can't pay, it's your boat. Remember the 9/10's theory
    The garden comment crosses my mind alot , but i think the more manly thing to "doo" would be to confront him and tell him how small his peter is..
    And I do hear ya on the 9/10th rule..Im not sure that it would even be an issue. the boat is in my yard and thats that..

I just dont like him trying to be so greedy about everything.

so here goes... he was asking 5500.00 if he had to bring it back to the mainland, 4500 if I went and got it (which i did) and i payed 3800 when i finally saw it. I did not pay this guy directly as he told me to pay the guy who was keeping the boat for him. Apparently the boat owner owed this guy's brother in law some money. I made an offer to the guy who was keeping the boat and he accepted.. end of story right? not so...
    personally i think he is just trying to be greedy. Figures I'll cave if he keeps annoying me..

I'd do anything for anyone.. short of killing or other devious act. I even did it for this guy twice and this is the thanks I get.. sigh...
    Last edited by SignWave; 12-14-2007 at 05:46 PM.

Miller 251/30A spool
    Syncro200
    Spectrum 625
    O/A
    Standard modern lathe
    horizontal 7x12 bandsaw
    Roland XC540 PRO III
    54" laminator
    little dog

Default Don't walk, RUN!

This guy sounds like a real cretin! I agree with all above but most importantly, get this ba!! bag out of your life PRONTO! Sounds creepy to me and who knows what he's capable of! It's your boat now and he has to deal with that some where else!

TacMig
    We depend On:
    Miller | Esab | Lincoln | Fronius
    Baileigh | Drake | Eagle | Knuth
    Victor | Harris | Smith | Bessey
    Snap-On | Hilti | Ingersoll Rand
    Burco/Koco | Onan | BobCat
    Tracker | Infratrol | AmeriCast

We belong to or support:
    American National Standards Institute
    American Welding Society
    The Welding Institute
    Fabricators & Manufacturing Association Int'l.

Anderson & Co. LLC
    Metal Cr
    afters

It is not how much you paid for the boat but how much you wanted it. If you are truly enjoying the project and it helps keep your mind busy, its worth every penny.

Something you might want to seriously consider is to start keeping a journal of when he comes around and put up a surveilance camera on your premises. Also document everything about the sale that you can remember. I dont think he will ever push the issue, sounds like he is just after beer money. But if he ever would push it, you are loaded to the gill with evidence.

Also, keep records of everything you put into the boat, including time. You may be able to get a salvage title or remanufactured title on it. Not sure how things are there on that issue but it might be worth checking out before anybody else tries.

Keep us posted.
    Ken

What else is there besides welding and riding. Besides that

Miller Thunderbolt XL 300/200 AC/DC
    Hobart Handler 187
    Dewalt Chop Saw
    4" Air Grinder
    Die Grinder
    Rigid Drill Press
    Kellogg 10hp Air Compressor

2009 FXDC