Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Suggestions on my first mig purchase.

Hello guys & gals, I had a quick question. Iím a company pipeline welder & have a Lincoln 300 on my rig, at home in the shop I have a Sync 350 for mostly any aluminum tig projects with no complaints. Iíve found myself doing more & more aluminum projects, so Iíve decided to purchase a mig. Even though the Millermatic 212 will be plenty, Iíve talked myself into purchasing the 252. Before I pull the trigger on this purchase, do you guys think I should consider any other machine? Any & all comments or suggestions would greatly be appreciated! Thank you in advance!

You won't be disapointed with a 252 I'll tell yeah that. We have one at the day job and It's on my list for next big cash shellout.
    If you got the bucks go for it.
    Kerry
    Last edited by kcstott; 12-14-2007 at 12:05 PM.

Default go big or go home

I tend to agree. If you spend the extra few bucks, you'll have the power to do those jobs that WILL come out of the blue.. (GetIt?)

Ive got a 251 and Im happy so far. Ive got a 30a to go with it and that works pretty good. A little cumbersome but works good. You might consider at some time too that if your doing alot of ALuminum, the push pull is better suited to your needs. The 252 and a P/P will be a benificial tool saving you both time and money. How long would it take to pay off the difference in price?

also, you obviously know that you need alot of heat to weld Alumiunm.... so that should be another ting to consider. in this case more is better.

Good luck.
    Will it weld? I loooove electricity!

Miller 251/30A spool
    Syncro200
    Spectrum 625
    O/A
    Precix 5x10 CNC Router12"Z
    Standard modern lathe
    Cheap Chinese mill that does the trick... sort of...
    horizontal 7x12 bandsaw
    Roland XC540 PRO III
    54" laminator
    hammer and screwdriver (most used)
    little dog
    pooper scooper (2nd most used...)

Default Thank you!

Thank you very much for all the input guy's! I'll order it Monday without my mind wondering if I'm doing the right thing or not......... especially with the price tag this blue box carries! lol

Default Bad a$$ machine

I've got one and will be getting another soon! As far as I'm concerned the 252 out performs everything in it's class and even takes on the big boys for less $.

No way you can go wrong.

Good luck...

TacMig
    We depend On:
    Miller | Esab | Lincoln | Fronius
    Baileigh | Drake | Eagle | Knuth
    Victor | Harris | Smith | Bessey
    Snap-On | Hilti | Ingersoll Rand
    Burco/Koco | Onan | BobCat
    Tracker | Infratrol | AmeriCast

We belong to or support:
    American National Standards Institute
    American Welding Society
    The Welding Institute
    Fabricators & Manufacturing Association Int'l.

Anderson & Co. LLC
    Metal Cr
    afters

Handirod,

I've got a MM251 w/30A spoolgun and have been very happy. About the only machine I'd consider replacing it with would be the MM350P, not so much for the additional amps but for the pulse capability.

Don't know if the deal is still available but you may want to check with Bernard. When I got my MM251 they were offering a free exchange program where you could exchange the standard M25 gun for a custom designed Q-300. The Bernard is a much better gun than the M25.

Just my .02.

Just bought a MM180 and am very pleased with this machine!

Smile MIg

Quote Originally Posted by handirod View Post
    Hello guys & gals, I had a quick question. Iím a company pipeline welder & have a Lincoln 300 on my rig, at home in the shop I have a Sync 350 for mostly any aluminum tig projects with no complaints. Iíve found myself doing more & more aluminum projects, so Iíve decided to purchase a mig. Even though the Millermatic 212 will be plenty, Iíve talked myself into purchasing the 252. Before I pull the trigger on this purchase, do you guys think I should consider any other machine? Any & all comments or suggestions would greatly be appreciated! Thank you in advance!
    I use a Miller 252 daily on mild steel & stainless. It is a fine machine. I gather from your post you are wanting to Mig aluminum. If so, you will probable also desire, if not need, a spool gun or push-pull set up to be happy migging aluminum.
    Also, if you think the 252 should be enough machine for now, you may want to considere going a size larger so you do not find yourself needing more capability later. I have been down that road myself.

Griff01

Smile Millermatic is the way to go ! ! !

I have a MM251 and really like it . . . . everyone I know that has one is happy . . .

Steve
    Millermatic 251
    Lincoln AC/DC "Tombstone"
    Milwaulkee Grinder 4 1/2"
    Clark Grinder 4 1/2"

I second to 252 MIG w/30a..
    MillerMatic 211