No, it was stainless, and the gas was inside the tank, not inside a welding chamber. I was just trying to offer an alternative method to determine when all of the air is displaced. It seems so wasteful to use ten times the volume of your welding chamber. Try it, it surprising that air coming out of a pipe, and argon coming out of a pipe, make a different sound.

My only experience welding titanium was when I fixed a cracked muffler cap from a Yamaha Y450F. I removed the cap and cut a strip of it off from the part that goes inside the muffler body. I then had a piece of welding rod that was the same material that I welded. I then put the cap into a cast iron frying pan, and ran my argon from my TIG torch into the pan for what I guessed to be a long enough period. I then repaired the crack in the open pan, and everything was going well. Then right at the end of the weld, I bumped the pan and it fell on the floor. That part of the weld turned into white powder. The rest of the weld was a straw color.

The point is, it is my opinion that you don't have to be surgically sterile or be scientifically oxygen-free to weld titanium.