Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Well the actual power for the weld and auxillary circuits is derived directly from the rotor, so yes it may be a sticking or worn brush in the holder

I had a 1987 TB 250G & had the same issue. I take it you are saying the engine continues to run, but you lose weld current & aux power?

Call Miller & talk to John in performance engine drive. He explained to me it was a defect in the design of the electronic system that causes the shutoff. A simple bypass of a couple wires fixes the issue. Much like the drop in board JSFAB referred to, only a simple 5 minute splicing of a couple wires.

Here's the best part: I used to have it wrote down in the hard copy of the technical manual I had for it & I let it go with the machine when I sold it. Someone else asked this question on another board a year or so ago & I tore the house apart looking for that manual & then realized what had happened.

Either way, give them a call & talk to John. He'll fix you up. Take it to service & if they don't know about that particular issue, you'll be wasting your money.

Ask me how I know that....

I bypassed the wires he told me to & never had another issue.

Good luck.
    So you're telling me...You're not nostalgic? Then, give me another word for it......

Update--spoke to Dan at Miller in the engine drive dept. Settled on 2 items. #1 was the varistor on the side of the rectifier, he said to do a visual & also to check the ocv where you attach the leads. The varistor looked o/k & the ocv metered within spec. #2 was the exciter control board. I didn't get into how to test it but it cost $628. He told me to unplug wires #20 & #29 from this board & connect them together. This will bypass the board which he said is an added safety measure for the machine that the earlier model did not have. It can be used with out the board. I haven't done that yet so I'll update in the future.
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
    Syncrowave 250
    RCCS-14

Update--I ordered new brushes since the old ones were worn but still in tolerence & a new veristor/suppressor since that was something Dan at Miller mentioned. The parts were only $40 so I figured it was worth a try. While waiting for the parts to arrive it was getting worse so I bypassed the board (PC3) & it worked fine for about 35 hours. New parts came, I installed them & hooked up the board & it did not have electrical power. Restarted it a few times before power came on which only lasted a couple minutes & then it would shut down the electric. Very intermittant as to wether it would excite or not. So I bypassed the board again & will run it like that from now on. I am assuming the board is going bad & was told it was really not needed as they only put these in for a couple years. My OCV is fine & steady so I won't worry about it, I'll just check it every so often.
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24