Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default trailblazer problem

I have a TB250G, 1100 hrs. Thursday went to a job & welded about 15 ft. with mig & when I went to grind, welder revved up but no 110v power. Swapped grinder, eliminated ext. cord, checked breaker resets, all o/k. Shut off machine while thinking, started it up to see if it would weld & it had 110v power now. Finished grinding, grab the gun & now no juice to the feeder. Shut it down & started it up again now all is well. Friday no problem. Today on my second job I was stick welding & changed rods & now it won't weld. Checked all the connections, flipped switches, nothing worked so I shut it down, started it back up & it worked fine. Happened again a little while later & after shutting it down it worked fine again. Finished up the last couple rods & packed up. Now I'm worried about it crapping out somewhere in the middle of an important job. I don't know where to start to look, any ideas?
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
    Syncrowave 250
    RCCS-14

What year was your 250G manufactured? You can do a little searching above, under "resources", with your serial number you can find out.

I had the exact same problem, with one made in 1988. Ran into a Miller rep at a trade show, called him a few days later with a serial number, problem was something to do with the exciter. He sent me a new circuit board, with a red push-button switch, some wires, and instructions, free, this was a factory update dealing with a defect in this machine, manufactured at that particular time. My little brother was an electronic tech at the time, had no problem doing the install. Anytime after that, if the power went off, the red button glowed, just push it, and keep welding/grinding.
    Obviously, I'm just a hack-artist, you shouldn't be listening to anything I say .....

JH184714 which makes it a 1987. I'll have to check with Miller about the exciter. This is the first time it's happened.
    Last edited by MMW; 07-31-2010 at 08:24 PM. Reason: changed last 3 digits-174 to 714
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
    Syncrowave 250
    RCCS-14

Check your oil level, possible dirty slip rings, slip ring brush not making contact or weak control bridge?
    Last edited by cruizer; 07-31-2010 at 07:10 PM.

Oil level is good. I'll check the brushes & slip rings tomorrow or Monday.
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
    Syncrowave 250
    RCCS-14

Checked brushes/slip rings & they looked o/k. Cleaned slip rings & brushes with 150 paper & then 400 today. It is working now so I hope it stays working.
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
    Syncrowave 250
    RCCS-14

Same thing happened twice today in about 6 hrs. run time. Once while grinding & once while stick welding. Shut it down for a minute then start it & all is well. Cruizer you mentioned the control bridge might be weak. What/where is it & how would you test it? I know close to nothing when it comes to electronics.
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
    Syncrowave 250
    RCCS-14

You really want to check your oil level properly, Yours probably has a yellow cap and o-ring. Don't press the dipstick all the way to check, just put the dipstick to the o-ring. I think the level is kinda on the line, not quite shutting down but enough to disrupt the electronics when hot.

Oil level is good. It is an Onan engine & dipstick has black cap. Directions say to screw it in (1/4 turn) to check level & it is full. Truck is on a level area when this happened. Right now it is only inconvenient when it happens but I'm afraid that sometime the power won't come back on. I know a repair center might be guessing because it's very intermittant. When I get a chance I'll call & see what they say.
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
    Syncrowave 250
    RCCS-14

Default Brushes

I haven't seen how the brushes are on the TB but I have problems with grinders where the spring holding them in place somehow slip and push the brushes in on an angle and they intermitenly stop working. The springs still have a lot of tension on them but when I took the brushes out, they were on a 15* angle about.

Hope this is helpful and I don't look stupid because the brushes are mounted a better way on the TB then on the metabos