Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Hybrid View

Default Welding Spring Steel

Gentlemen,

I just dropped my 540lb ADV bike (g e n t l y ) and bent the tube steel pannier frame. This is the 1/2" dia steel tube frame from which you hang the two pannier or saddlebag boxes from on an adventure-type motorcycle. This inspired the design and inclusion of spring steel struts to connect the pannier frame to the motorcycle frame in order to absorb the energy of a fall and eliminate the problem of bending the pannier frame.

My partner and I are totally greenhorns when it comes to welding. I would appreciate your expertise and advide. My questions are as follows:

Can you successfully weld carbon spring steel?

Can we expect a sound joint?

If so, what specific spring steel, welding techniques, preparations, and prescriptions should we observe?

Thanks so much,

Howard C Culbreth II

sure, you can weld it, but you will alter the mechanical properties of the steel in the area of the weld. Preheat and slow cool will increase your chances of getting a good weld.

you didn't mention what welding process you have access to, so its hard to make any specific recommendations.

also, the "welding discussion" forum is much more active so if you repost this there you will get more and better answers than the one i provided.

When you weld "spring steel" it isn't "spring steel" any more.

Lot more mumbo jumbo involved but that's the basic truth. The spring will have sprung.
    Syncrowave 250 DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200 DX
    Miller XMT 304 w/714D Feeder & Optima Control
    Miller MM 251 w/Q300 & 30A SG
    Hobart HH187
    Dialarc 250 AC/DC
    Hypertherm PM 600 & 1250
    Wilton 7"x12" bandsaw
    PC Dry Cut Saw, Dewalt Chop Saw
    Milwaukee 8" Metal Cut Saw, Milwaukee Portaband.
    Thermco and Smith (2) Gas Mixers
    More grinders than hands

The spring steel in the welded area (heat affected zone HAZ) will lose it's temper and act like mild steel. You should try to let it cool slowly to prevent the steel from hardening.
    Miller syncrowave 200 runner with coolmate 4
    and wp2025 weldcraft torch
    Miller 125c plasma cutter

Hey Howard C,
    You received the correct response from SundownIII......

Yes, you can successfully repair/weld spring steel...... problem is that it's no longer "spring steel".

Yes, you can expect a sound joint...... problem is that it's no longer "spring steel".

Your last question can be answered by simply ordering a new part......

Denny
    * Complete welding, machine, & fab shop *
    * Mobile unit *
    * Finally retired *

* A man's word is his honor..... without honor, there is nothing. *
    * Words are like bullets..... once they leave your muzzle, you cannot get them back. *
    * I have no reservation to kill nor hesitation to die for the U.S. Constitution & the American Flag. *
    * Age is a state of mind..... at my age, you cannot fathom what is in my mind. *