Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default how much the suitable thickness for my workpiece?

i want weld mild steel plate for my project, please suggest suitable workpiece thickness..thank you very much...

arc welding
    butt joint
    mild steel
    electrode diameter 2.0mm
    welding current 140A

what is the suitable thickness for my mild steel thickness?

what are you making?
    my daddy always said i was IRONHEADED....
    feel free to P/M me

i m not trying to making some, i juz want to weld the mild steel and then bring to inspection.

Default Okay - I'll take a guess here.

You have arc welder set at 140A and a 2mm electrode.
    You want to butt weld 2 pieces of steel together and want to know how thick they should be to get a good, 100% penetration, weld to pass inspection.

Is this correct ???

Question

ok i gotta ask ??
    is this a question as to the limits of your welder ?? are you trying to find out the max thickness you can weld ?

keeping in mind multiple passes as an option its nearly limitless ...........ok maybe not limitless. but with pre-heat and multiple passes its going to be a fair sized piece of steel.
    you say take it in to have it inspected........ by who ?? they would be the person to ask what thickness you should be doing if they want to inspect it they must be looking for some thing ??
    we really need a bit more info to help out here.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Windsom,
    Did you ever increase the duty cycle of that welder?? Will you tell us how you did it - maybe post some pics. We never did hear where you were from, or you age.
    If I had know I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck U&R View Post
    You have arc welder set at 140A and a 2mm electrode.
    You want to butt weld 2 pieces of steel together and want to know how thick they should be to get a good, 100% penetration, weld to pass inspection.

Is this correct ???
    yes, that right. how much thick i should choose?

i was running around 120A on 1/4" for welding up.
    are you planing on flat or out of position ??
    i think about 1/4" would be a good place to start. add a lil V and go for it.
    i'm still new to stick though so better wait for one of the others to chime in before trying a piece to be tested. but it will work for practice in the mean time.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

not enough info
    my ability is limited by me only.

If you are making this weld for testing (I get that from inspection) and you have to ask what you need to use you aren't ready to be doing it.
    Lincoln: Eagle 10,000, Weld-Pak HD, Weld-Pak 155, AC-225, LN-25 wirefeeder
    Miller: Syncrowave 250DX Tigrunner
    Westinghouse: 400+ amp AC
    ThermalArc Handy wirefeeder
    1 Harris, 3 Victor O/A rigs
    Arcair gouger
    Too many other power toys to list.

Do it right, do it once. And in all things ya get what ya pay for.