Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Air Tool Hanger

I then fixed the square tube to the metal shelf.
    Time for a test fit.
    Yep all is well.
    I have room for more air tools on the tube but I will wait until the Nitto fittings are cheap again.

Air tools off the bench in under an hour.
    As Smooth wrote It takes more time to find them sometimes than that.

Pretty pleased with the result.

Ji
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Grip it and Rip it

That looks great! Thanks for the post. This will be copied!

Default Tools

Great way to keep all the tools pick up. And helps organize the shop. Great job
    Vernon

Thanks for the kind words gents.
    My work shop is starting to get real easy to use finally.
    Every thing has a place and everything is in its place.
    I might even start sharpening my old drill bits.

Ji
    Grip it and Rip it

So, if you had to do it again would you have done it all the same? Any different spacing or anything? I'm getting ready to do that for my 4 or 5 air tools so just thought I'd ask.
    Millermatic 212
    1998 Heritage Springer
    Kioti DK55

Hi Curly,
    I would not change a thing.
    In total there are 12 positions on my rack ready to go now but I only have 7 air tools I use constantly use. That gives room for the future which I think is important. Most of the time we only sort out messes after it has gone on too long and we only fix the problem to its current capacity, when we should actually cater for the furture in the fix.
    The spacing of my tools was determined by placing my hand around the widest tool and measuring the total distance. This allows me to grad a tool without having to just grab it with my finger tips. My goal was to be able to push the tool back into the female Nitto fitting with ease. If you have heaps of tools that need hanging in a small area and you have great access to their psoition then sure you could space them closer.
    Good luck and please post some photos of your air tool hanger.

Ji
    Grip it and Rip it

I probably would have just welded the bolts onto the underside of the tube. I'm lazy and don't like drilling holes
    You might need shorter bolts, or just screw on the air coupler until it bottoms out, and don't care how long it is.

Dynasty200DX w/coolmate1
    MM210
    MM Vintage
    Lincoln AC225
    Victor O/A, Smith AW1A
    Cutmaster 81
    IR 2475N7.5FP
    Evolution Rage3
    Jancy USA101
    9" South Bend
    AEAD-200LE

Hi Andy,
    The square tube I used is aluminium so I could not weld the Nittos on but if you use a steel tube sure no problems. The heat from the welding may reduce the tension in the Nitto spring but if you just tack it it should be okay.
    The Nittos I purchased had a female thread so I had to purchase bolts to connect them to the tube. If you can find the Nittos with a male thread that would be cheaper and easier. The only thing is that the thread will be 1/4" BSP taper.
    Which would mean that I would have had to buy a thread cutting tap.

Anyway my hanger is not the only way there would be plenty of other ways to hang air tools. Just trying to help out with some tidy up ideas.

Ji
    Grip it and Rip it

Quote Originally Posted by Jigantor View Post
    Hi Andy,
    The square tube I used is aluminium so I could not weld the Nittos on but if you use a steel tube sure no problems. The heat from the welding may reduce the tension in the Nitto spring but if you just tack it it should be okay.
    The Nittos I purchased had a female thread so I had to purchase bolts to connect them to the tube. If you can find the Nittos with a male thread that would be cheaper and easier. The only thing is that the thread will be 1/4" BSP taper.
    Which would mean that I would have had to buy a thread cutting tap.

Anyway my hanger is not the only way there would be plenty of other ways to hang air tools. Just trying to help out with some tidy up ideas.

Ji
    Ahhh, sorry. That's what I get for not paying enough attention.

I've seen the same trick on the snap-on truck, except he used a nice piece of hardwood trim.

Dynasty200DX w/coolmate1
    MM210
    MM Vintage
    Lincoln AC225
    Victor O/A, Smith AW1A
    Cutmaster 81
    IR 2475N7.5FP
    Evolution Rage3
    Jancy USA101
    9" South Bend
    AEAD-200LE

Hi Andy,
    No biggy
    I was thinking about welding them on a steel tube but then the chrome coating would be lost and I would have to paint them, which I hate doing.

Ji
    Grip it and Rip it