Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Smile weld instruction

swyman ok i have read all the post about your idea and now i'm going to give my opinion.
    I do think there needs to be some one that is qualified in this area to give the basic instruction to the weekend welders in the world that don't have all the skills or knowledge of some one that is a skilled welder, if this is the case then i'd be considered as an insrtucter ta my job because the guys i work with are not at the same skill level as i'm at with this trade, for example I have over 15-20yrs of welding and the guys in the shop only have 2-5yrs and not all of it is within all the same areas mig-steel,alum,cast, or tig-steel,alum cast do you see what i'm saying, so what i'm getting at is yes i do welding instruction at my full time job and some times i do get a little cash from the guys and sometimes not and NO I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR THERE WELDS GOOD OR BAD. As for some one trying to sue me go a head and try it will take you for ever to get any money becuase i'l be the one who draggs it out for ever to the point where you will be saying just forget it this guys nuts(ha,ha,ha,) I do have a buddy from school that teaches welding a class at our local community carrer school and he do's charge between $90-120 for an (A & B class) and the classes are always full, so if any of you are in th coldwater,mi are and want some welding insturction shoot me a line and i'll get info for you.

Thumbs up

checking the local adult edd schools is a great idea. they give you a lot of leeway and would help be a buffer between you and the fool that welds the shock back on his 3/4ton with a 80amp clark. lets hope you explain size dose matter first.
    they have an ornamental welding class here for like $80 or $90 they decided to just try on a whim, its been full every class. there is a big need for the home hobby guy. not to learn to weld bridges, just to do a better job at home on the stuff he dose for him or the wife. look into school options.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Quote Originally Posted by fun4now View Post
    checking the local adult edd schools is a great idea. they give you a lot of leeway and would help be a buffer between you and the fool that welds the shock back on his 3/4ton with a 80amp clark. lets hope you explain size dose matter first.
    they have an ornamental welding class here for like $80 or $90 they decided to just try on a whim, its been full every class. there is a big need for the home hobby guy. not to learn to weld bridges, just to do a better job at home on the stuff he dose for him or the wife. look into school options.
    That's what I'm getting at! Our local vocational school no longer teaches welding. I cannot seem to get any work so I'm grasping at straws to try to make a buck and this is an idea I came up with. I'm not looking to screw anyone and am sincere. I am not set up for a multi student class and if I try this it will be 1 on 1 instruction which I feel would be better for the student. I would also consider going to the individuals home to use their machine. I am going to talk to a lawyer first after the replies from this forum....CYA!
    Modern Metalworking L.L.C
    Blissfiled, MI
    517-605-9481

Miller Dynasty 350 Tig runner
    Hobart 3-phase mig
    Hypertherm 1000 plasma
    Mill
    Lathe
    Box break
    Shear

have you talked to the schools to see why they don't have the classes any more ?? could just be they have no instructor ?? in this case you should know they do take experience into account when hiring teachers for Vo-Tec classes. might be worth a call or trip ???
    best of luck. i suppose putting an add in the local shopper or paper will tell you if the market is there.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Try PMing Bert. Might take him a while to answer though. The last time I talked to him he was pretty busy at work. But he can probably answer some of your questions.

One of the high schools here has a metal/welding shop and offers adult ed Basic Welding classes. Bert taught the class for a couple of semesters while he was waiting for a welding job.

Default welding instructing

Hey swyman just thought i would give a shout to you and see if you came up with any thing else on your instructing post?

It might be a good idea if you put an ad in the local paper if some one is wanting to learn the basics of welding just for the weekend or hobby welders
    you might be suprised and find that alot of people are interested but feel like ti might be to overwhelming for them to (GO TO SCHOOL AGIAN) if you know what i mean and would prefer that it be with some one on a 1-1 basis and not feel so pressured and get a more understanding of the trade.

Like i said in another post a school buddy of mine does it at the local career center an he has an A & B class the fee was $90-100 and you had to have the basic gear.