Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

See what I mean every work bench is different.
    Mine has a 5mm or 1/4" think aluminium top on it so magnets won't work.
    Nocheepgas have you any photos of yours that you can post?
    I would like to see what others have come up with.
    Every TIG welding station requires one along with a bin.

Ji
    Grip it and Rip it

Hey Ji,
    Your approach is good for moving your torch positions & not having to be concerned with either a steel or aluminum weld surface. Mine is steel & I like simple.... I just welded a 1" steel tube to the weld table. I also made a small support rack under my shelving area next to the TIG table to keep my rod sorted, clean, & handy.

Denny
    Attached Images Attached Images
    * Complete welding, machine, & fab shop *
    * Mobile unit *
    * Finally retired *

* A man's word is his honor..... without honor, there is nothing. *
    * Words are like bullets..... once they leave your muzzle, you cannot get them back. *
    * I have no reservation to kill nor hesitation to die for the U.S. Constitution & the American Flag. *
    * Age is a state of mind..... at my age, you cannot fathom what is in my mind. *

Hi Denny,
    Your holder is fantastic.
    Your bench is small so there would be no need to go looking for the torch or a need to move it around.
    Your holder combine with my clamp would be a mile better than what I have done from an ease of build point of view.
    I have a similar PVC pipe storage system to you but mine have end caps to keep out moisture and other air borne contaminates.
    Great photos thanks.

Ji
    Grip it and Rip it

Hey Ji,
    Yeah, I do have caps for all the tubes. The pic was taken just after installing them & filling each of the tubes.

Denny
    * Complete welding, machine, & fab shop *
    * Mobile unit *
    * Finally retired *

* A man's word is his honor..... without honor, there is nothing. *
    * Words are like bullets..... once they leave your muzzle, you cannot get them back. *
    * I have no reservation to kill nor hesitation to die for the U.S. Constitution & the American Flag. *
    * Age is a state of mind..... at my age, you cannot fathom what is in my mind. *

Hi Denny,
    I thought you would have caps.
    Pretty sweet setup mate.
    It does not take much to get yourself setup with everything at your finger tips.
    Tool caddies or holder are pretty handy, I am going to make a TIG line holder next.
    The line or hose that carries the argon and current to the torch is heavy and should not get kinked, so I was thinking of hanging it from the ceiling in my workshop directly over the welding bench. This way it is up and out of the way, not getting kinked and not draging the torch down out of my hand.

Ji
    Grip it and Rip it

Jigantor,

Nice job and well documented.

Here is what I came up with after years of dropping my torch and breaking the ceramic nozzles. The last straw was about a year ago when I was doing a small stainless steel job for a friend. Since I didn't have a holder, I had gotten into the habit of putting the torch in my lap while I positioned the work between welds.

All was ok until I bumped my foot pedal while the torch was in my lap.............!

The holder is made of some 6al4v rod I had left from a sculpture.
    It is 7/32" diam and I found a small piece of 1/8" titanium for the base.

Bolted to a cup magnet, it has saved my legs and other parts from hot tig burns.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Thermal Arc GTSW400, Airco Heliwelder II, Miller Dynasty 350, Hypertherm 1000, oxy-fuel setup, metal cutting bandsaw, air compressor, drill press, etc.:

Call me the "Clouseau" of welding !

Hi Burnt Hands,
    I too placed the torch in my lap between runs.
    Some times I have on a leather apron and other times not.
    I have a few pairs of pants with electrode burn holes in them from this practice.

Your holder looks fantastic.
    I have some titanium plates but no round bar. I can not get 1/8" Ti plate here in Australia which is what I really need for some projects.

A magnet on a steel table top is the go for sure.

Thanks for adding to this thread.
    Great images too.

Ji
    Grip it and Rip it

Default tig torch holder

i blacksmith as a hobbie so i made this little handy torch holder. It slips over the edge of my bench on any edge so i can move it wherever i need it and holds the torch with any size back cap and nozzle.IMG_0587.jpg
    Miller syncrowave 200 runner with coolmate 4
    and wp2025 weldcraft torch
    Miller 125c plasma cutter

Hi Jr,
    Great work.
    Thanks for posting the photo.

Ji
    Grip it and Rip it

Nice ideas here. I have magnets I pulled out of old computer hard drives that would be great for this, although some might be too strong. OTOH I also buy up old C clamps at yard sales to hack up for this sort of thing. The problem with that is that most are still good after cleaning off the rust so I hate to hack them up. Decisions decisions.