Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: welding in Iraq

Default welding in Iraq

On the motorsports board someone posted this. I am not a member on that board, does anyone here have info on this subject. My personal life is taking a turn for the worst, 90k tax free sounds like a nice change. What are the welding requirements?
    This could be a chance of a lifetime. I am sure even if I am qualified that I would not go, being a homebody type, wife, for the moment and a 14 year old son that does not like me.
    Anyway does anyone have info?
    Tim Beeker,
    T-N-J Industries
    (my side bussiness)

Miller Synchrowave 350LX with tigrunner
    Esab 450i with wire feeder
    HH135 mig
    Thermal Dynamics cutmaster 51 plasma cutter
    Miller aircrafter 330 - sold
    Marathon 315mm coldsaw
    vertical and horizontal band saws
    table saw
    Dewalt cut off saw
    Sand blast cabinet
    lots of hand grinders
    Harris torch
    beer fridge

Quote Originally Posted by tnjind View Post
    On the motorsports board someone posted this. I am not a member on that board, does anyone here have info on this subject. My personal life is taking a turn for the worst, 90k tax free sounds like a nice change. What are the welding requirements?
    This could be a chance of a lifetime. I am sure even if I am qualified that I would not go, being a homebody type, wife, for the moment and a 14 year old son that does not like me.
    Anyway does anyone have info?
    Had a couple of friends check into a similar opportunity operating heavy equipment over there. Turned out to be too good to be true. I certainly don't know your situation, and please don't take offense to this, but it sounds to me like you might be better off staying here and taking care of things at home.....
    If worse comes to worse, send your wife over - your boy will come around. They (we) always do
    Sounds to me like you have the chance of a lifetime at home. Not trying to preach but I can tell you first hand that I would be a piece of sh!t if it wasnt for my Dad.

I dont have any information on this and I dont know how bad things are for you. The economy is not the best here but is $90k really worth the danger in Iraq with the possibility of not coming home the same way you went.

My niece just called the other day, she was just recently deployed to Afghanistan - the forgotten war so please give it some serious thought.
    Ken

What else is there besides welding and riding. Besides that

Miller Thunderbolt XL 300/200 AC/DC
    Hobart Handler 187
    Dewalt Chop Saw
    4" Air Grinder
    Die Grinder
    Rigid Drill Press
    Kellogg 10hp Air Compressor

2009 FXDC

Thanks guys, sorry to unload. I do not show emmosions in person. My son does not hate me, just does not like the things I do. Same with me 30 years ago. I vented should be good for while longer. (wife is a different story)
    Iraq does sound good, probably too good. I do know someone that used to work with, he is now driving a truck in the sand, good money.
    I wonder what kind of welding is required, pipeline, highrise, what.
    Tim Beeker,
    T-N-J Industries
    (my side bussiness)

Miller Synchrowave 350LX with tigrunner
    Esab 450i with wire feeder
    HH135 mig
    Thermal Dynamics cutmaster 51 plasma cutter
    Miller aircrafter 330 - sold
    Marathon 315mm coldsaw
    vertical and horizontal band saws
    table saw
    Dewalt cut off saw
    Sand blast cabinet
    lots of hand grinders
    Harris torch
    beer fridge

Default 7 months of ****

take it from someone that was there in person..for 7 months.. dont go..

i made alot of money .. married Marine .. while i was there and no amount of money could make me go back.. frankley.. the nightmares,, paranoiya (sp?) and the fact you actually get SHOT AT.. isnt worth the money.. im pround of my service for my country but ****it ill tell ya .. i had way too many close calls to even think about going back... and they offered me ALOT to stay in too.. tempting re-enlistment bonus.. up to 30K tax free..cashmoney..

Not trying to get into a political debate but I never understood the idea of bombing the pi$$ out of someone, spending huge amounts of money on war, then spending even greater amounts rebuilding it for them. The end result being 3.20 a gallon gas...

Quote Originally Posted by tnjind View Post
    Thanks guys, sorry to unload. I do not show emmosions in person. My son does not hate me, just does not like the things I do. Same with me 30 years ago. I vented should be good for while longer. (wife is a different story)
    Iraq does sound good, probably too good. I do know someone that used to work with, he is now driving a truck in the sand, good money.
    I wonder what kind of welding is required, pipeline, highrise, what.

No apology needed, we all need to unload at one time or another.

My guess would be it is pipeline with all the oil fields and structural with bridges being blown up. Last I heard, they were still rebuilding oil lines or transport lines in Kuwait.

HINT: If you know any welding instructors, check with them, they are always getting job offers for their students, some out of state for a couple years lining the pockets real nice.
    Ken

What else is there besides welding and riding. Besides that

Miller Thunderbolt XL 300/200 AC/DC
    Hobart Handler 187
    Dewalt Chop Saw
    4" Air Grinder
    Die Grinder
    Rigid Drill Press
    Kellogg 10hp Air Compressor

2009 FXDC

Different trade, but I interviewed for a job to go over as an Electrician. $84,000 a year, 4 months of 7-12's, then a 10 day pass and $600 allowance for a plane ticket. You couldn't return to the states because you lose you expatriate status and have to pay taxes on it then. If I was 20 and single...no brainer, I'll go. As it is now, if I was working 7-12's for that period of time it would be more like $150,000 after paying taxes, and I could sleep in my own bed every night, and not worry about getting shot at or bombed.

Last edited by Corey74; 11-15-2007 at 02:17 PM.

They offered me 140,000 a year to go over there as a computer nerd in '04. I told them double it and I might consider it. They asked if I was nuts and I replied did I also look stupid, lol. I spent 8 years in the army, never saw combat, but smart enough to know what it would be like. It probably didn't help that the truck driver who was kidnapped and and managed to escape lived about 70 miles away so I got to read his whole story. No way!!!!
    Lincoln: Eagle 10,000, Weld-Pak HD, Weld-Pak 155, AC-225, LN-25 wirefeeder
    Miller: Syncrowave 250DX Tigrunner
    Westinghouse: 400+ amp AC
    ThermalArc Handy wirefeeder
    1 Harris, 3 Victor O/A rigs
    Arcair gouger
    Too many other power toys to list.

Do it right, do it once. And in all things ya get what ya pay for.

Quote Originally Posted by shott8283 View Post
    take it from someone that was there in person..for 7 months.. dont go..

i made alot of money .. married Marine .. while i was there and no amount of money could make me go back.. frankley.. the nightmares,, paranoiya (sp?) and the fact you actually get SHOT AT.. isnt worth the money.. im pround of my service for my country but ****it ill tell ya .. i had way too many close calls to even think about going back... and they offered me ALOT to stay in too.. tempting re-enlistment bonus.. up to 30K tax free..cashmoney..
    This post says it all. As we all know, there is a war going on right now and the locals hate our guts. It's undoubtedly THE MOST DANGEROUS PLACE ON THE FACE OF THE EARTH!!!!!!!

I would work on my problems locally. If you have problems here, you will have other problems there, Life is full of problems.

I think you should stick around. The 14 year old will change his attitude once he starts working for a living, I know I did.

Best wishes.